Would you do the $99 for LifeTime on a Premiere now?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by kpeters59, Apr 16, 2019.

1. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    What if you had 4?

Would you do $400 to keep your 4 running Premieres going with no further (TiVo) expenses?

I did an install for someone in 2012. They've been paying full price x4 since then.

I probably mentioned to him 5 years ago that we could likely get TiVo to offer him $99/TiVo, but he didn't bother.

Now, his credit card expired and his account has gone in to suspension. (he could probably buy TiVo if he wanted...).

So, I called TiVo and got them to offer the $99/each offer.

I'm still wondering if it's a good idea.

Won't they likely retain at least the $99 value?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Kyle

2. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    The tech is changing and you may not even be able to get OTA signals on current Tivos sooner than I'd like. I wouldn't spend any money on any sort of long term Tivo stuff until the government and the market calms down.

Qnapfan likes this.
  3. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Well, he is kind of old...

But seriously, I don't see ATSC or QAM going away any time soon.

To me, that's not really an issue.

He says he nearly never records and doesn't have any streaming services.

He was actually pretty much fine with it being suspended.

-KP

4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Then, what does he really use the TiVo boxes for?

(I originally was going to say, for me, $99 to have the benefits of TiVo still is a good deal--I use my TV too much. A closer question for me would be whether to pay the $99 or to think about a Roamio or Bolt box.)

5. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Just me, one box, that I wasn't in the mood to replace, even with an uncertain future, sure.

A full household, with a Tivo in each room, people watching tivo's in each room, not in the mood to rip and replace - sure.

In both cases, you're simply gambling that you're going to get another year out of it, anything past that is gravy, and I think 99% of us will still win that bet (this year). And it's a far better bet than buying something new you're mentally calculating out for the next 5 years,

One guy who doesn't record anything? You have to ask not whether the risk is worth it, but instead whether the want is worth it (Are tivo's he never uses worth $99 to him?)

gigaquad likes this.
  6. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    That's what I used to think, until I read that Tivo is working on a "cable box" for ATSC3 which is set to be released soon, because current tuners won't work on the new standard. We've got 6 tivos here, all Roamios, and we won't be upgrading until the ATSC3 standard is settled and in place. It's just throwing money away before then (For us, that is. but we're Scottish, so we don't like to waste money. On the upside, we never have surprises we can't afford. Thanks genetics!)

Mikeguy likes this.
  7. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Based on your description, it might make sense to upgrade if he has family members to give them to either now or in the future. The boxes have no value if they are suspended. I've given away several TiVos over the years, and they have been appreciated, even if they have the cablecard cost. Resale does not sound like it's worth it him, or is it?

8. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    You can't sell a Premiere on Craigslist or Ebay for more than about $25. Roamio's are barely $50 unsubscribed.

It's just him now. His wife passed last year.

The only thing that makes it make sense is if the hardware will last for a bit longer.

My Premiere just keeps chugging away with nary a glitch.

I'm going to let him know what TiVo offered and see what he says. He said he would do it last week.

-KP

9. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    $99 for Lifetime would pay for itself in about a year (assuming he's still interested in keeping them going)

They might still offer a transfer deal for Premiere with Lifetime to transfer the Lifetime to a new Bolt (or Bolt Vox, etc). I have a Premiere that I connect every few months, hopefully to keep it active and eligible for a deal when one comes around (which reminds me that its time to connect it for a week or two).

TiVo has been very sloppy about removing Lifetime "donor" units from subscribers accounts. I have two Bolts with Lifetime subscriptions transferred from older boxes and the older boxes are still active with Lifetime.

10. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I told him quite a while back about upgrading his TiVo and adding Mini's, but he did some quick math in his head and declined my offer.

I'm waiting on his decision now.

Thanks,

-KP

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  11. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    2-tuner Premieres? (do they come with higher numbers?) I think a mini connected to a 2-tuner TiVo is suboptimal. Four or six tuners would be much better.

12. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I edited my post above for increased clarity.

And, YES...there are such animals as 4-tuner Premieres that can host for a Mini.

Thanks,

-KP

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Actually not doable, rather than suboptimal, since Minis require a 4- or 6-tuner host DVR (even if they shouldn’t, once dynamic tuner allocation arrived).

As for going All-In, he doesn’t need to do all 4.

14. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Well, he doesn't need to do any.

The only issue he's having currently is the occasional nag screen.

I guess there's no way of knowing if the value will be retained. And it won't really hurt him to do it, so I'll probably try to steer him to doing it.

I guess another way to look at is: if you came across a Premiere w/ LifeTime on Craigslist for $99, would you buy it?

-KP

15. LoveGardenia

LoveGardenia Member

Apr 24, 2015
    Wouldn't it be best to take one of those Premiere boxes slap lifetime on it and he can use an antenna with it. For the time being it is worth the lifetime simple because the box can do both cable and antenna. Talk to him about selling those extra boxes (with lifetime) to a family with young kids who only uses antenna it would help the parents a lot also he would get his money back.

16. trip1eX

trip1eX Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2005
    well if he's fine with it being suspended then why bother?

He is probably used to live tv anyway so from his perspective it's no big deal.

I don't see the pt of upgrading 4 Premieres if he barely records anything and is fine being suspended.

At best upgrade one just in case he does want to record something.

17. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Even apart from recording, I might consider it for the trickplay alone. :)

18. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    It does still do 30-Sec Advance when suspended.

He doesn't even do that...

Either way, he's decided to do it.

TiVo's email says if he just corrects his Card Info, then it will be done.

Thanks,

-KP

19. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I think it might be better to try to negotiate a lower monthly rate with Tivo. He will have the continuous care warranty and his Tivos would be replaced for $50 if they fail. Seven year old hard drives could fail at any time. He could easily pay the $400 for lifetime service and then turn around and start paying to replace hard drives.

20. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    They offered $10.

During the last 7 years, apparently TiVo was billing him $20 for the 1st unit and $15 each for the other 3!

I figured he'd be better off just 'cutting and running' on monthly charges.

Fingers Crossed!

-KP

Mikeguy likes this.