Would you buy this Tivo on eBay?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dvr4me, Jul 21, 2007.

1. dvr4me

dvr4me New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    I was looking at Tivo's on eBay and came across this picture:

[​IMG]

That fan looks packed! Maybe it's just a bad angle of shot, but you gotta wonder...

(Edit: I changed the image so it does not include the service number. Although the eBay poster included the service number, I decided not to include that information in my post.)

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    I'd look elseware..why risk it.

3. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    wow he put his Tivo service number in the ad?

4. ThreeSoFar

ThreeSoFar FourNow...WaitFive

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    You looking for any TiVo?

5. edhara

edhara Shaken, not stirred

Feb 17, 2002
    Rancho...
    What's the significance of that?

6. Lola14

Lola14 *Sunshine*

Jul 17, 2007
    Boston
    NO, that's Dirty, makes me laugh what some people freakin sell, I mean it's got so much build-up on it. "Clearly seen" they could have at least hid that! Happy hunting tho:)

7. Pablo

Pablo ... not like you

Jan 31, 2002
    Pacific...
    No.

However, I don't need a TiVo, so I am the wrong person to ask. :D

8. dvr4me

dvr4me New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    I'm not looking for a tivo. I was just perusing eBay and checked out the Tivo auctions.

I was just amazed at how dirty the fan is, yet the auction says "used but well taken care of, still in like new condition".

9. dvr4me

dvr4me New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Yeah... I updated the image to not include the service number. Didn't notice it at first.

I'm not sure if it has any significance (I wouldn't buy a tivo through eBay myself). But I figured it doesn't need to be there as that's not the intent of the original post.

Thanks for the heads up though.

10. Chester_Lampwick

Chester_Lampwick Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...
    I'd buy it, for sure. It'd have to go pretty cheap, and he'd havve to be willing to send USPS to Canada. Nothing the blowgun on my air compressor wouldn't take care of. I mean if he got that many good hours out of it, it's likely a good machine....

11. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    What SHOULD a TiVo fan look like after sitting in a stereo cabinet for a couple of years?

The ones on ebay that DON'T look like that have simply been blown out...

12. dvr4me

dvr4me New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Oh it certainly should be dusty. But I'd think as a seller you'd get better results if you took the time to clean it.

It just amazes me that people who are trying to sell something don't take the time to clean it up. I've seen people selling kids clothes at a garage sale with chunks of week old food on them.

"What, didn't want to waste some soap and wash it before selling it?" :eek:

13. bsnelson

bsnelson Mid-life anti-crisis in progress TCF Club

Oct 30, 1999
    Frisco, TX, USA
    I don't think it looks packed, it just looks like the blades are very dirty.

While I agree the seller is a bit dumb for not cleaning it up first, that alone wouldn't keep me from buying it.

Brad

14. cloudburner

cloudburner Community Balloonist

Feb 3, 2007
    WNW Illinois
    Lately I'm more willing to buy new via eBay... less interested in used ... most recent used purchases were disappointments... and new purchases have been just what I expected.

15. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    It always cracks me up when I look at cars on ebay motors and they haven't been vacuumed or washed. If you're trying to sell your car, you ought to at least give the appearance that it's been well cared for.

16. Chester_Lampwick

Chester_Lampwick Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...
    I'm always leary of the car that are 6 or 7 years old with 10,000 original miles. I mean if the guy who paid all the money for it new didn't want to drive it, why should I?

17. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    The fan blades always look dirtier than the rest of the box. I'm guessing that the blades build up a static charge over time and attract the dust like a magnet. Every one of my Tivos has had dirty fan blades but the insides had minimal dust. Granted, I've never had one look that bad but it's no big deal to clean it.

18. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    I have seen my fans look real dirty, when I went to clean them out.

19. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    When I am a star I want my fans to be dirty.

oh sorry, wrong thread...

20. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    Yes, and that's the point. If you're going to sell something you want it to look closer to new that not. It's like if you go to sell your house and never clean it and never do anything to make it look decent. Sure, you'll sell it, but for substantially less than you could have.