Would like some opinions on "Psych"...

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mrdazzo7, Aug 13, 2011.

1. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    My TV viewing has been kind of dire lately so I'm trying to get into a new show via netflix streaming. I've seen just about anything that interests me and Psych seemed like something I was never interested in, but could be good, so I checked out the pilot and it's ok. I like the comedy of it, the characters are cool, etc.

My question is--does it stay "case of the week" for the whole run of the show or is it ever more serialized at any point? Unfortunately the devotion to my favorite shows over the years (Buffy, 24, Alias, Prison Break, Lost, Dexter, Sons of Anarchy, Chuck, etc) has pretty much ruined my ability to enjoy "procedural/case of the week" shows for more than a week or two.

So would you say I shouldn't bother? Does it ever do bigger arcs at all? Info is good, spoilers are bad.

2. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I really like Psych, but it is pretty much just "case of the week." The closest thing to "arcs" are probably a few of the recurring characters, with Yang (played by Ally Sheedy) being the most memorable, IMO. Psych is probably the equivalent of something like Law and Order in this regard, and on the opposite end of the spectrum from the shows you list above. The only other progressive development (if you could call it that), is Shawn's relationship with Juliet and Abigail (Rachel Leigh Cook).

3. JMikeD

JMikeD Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Speaking for myself, I can’t stand the show. I watched it for about half the first season and was completely repelled by the Shawn character. And the Gus character isn’t much better.

But that's just me. :)

4. mrdazzo7

Jan 8, 2006
    yeah that's what I figured. I'll probably just rely on it as a back-up to my many back-ups in case I happen to be home, have nothing saved on my DVR, there's nothing on TV, and I don't want to go get a movie. Like it seems like an enjoyable show, but not something I'm gonna put on a list somewhere. Plus doesn't it get old after a while? It's one of those things that's just TOO far fetched, where it sort of loses credibility.

It has a strong "Chuck" vibe to me in a way, like in the way he was psychologically prepared by his dad as a kid to have these crazy skills. But at the same time I think it would get tired after a while of him walking into a room and "zooming in" on a gum wrapper and extrapolating a ton of information based on it.

5. whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    It is case of the week, but well written and funny week after week out. One of my favorite shows.

6. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Oh, like Buffy Buffy, 24, Alias, Prison Break, Lost, Dexter, Sons of Anarchy, and Chuck?

:p

7. mrdazzo7

Jan 8, 2006
    Touche... but I mean it doesn't sound like the main premise changes so it has to get hard to buy that a POLICE DEPARMENT can't figure out that it's a ruse after all this time. All those other shows sort of changed and evolved as they went so even if there was a "secret identity" or some kind lie built into the premise, someone eventually figures it out and then things go in a different direction.

8. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    Psych pretty much does that too.

He still puts on the "Oh, I'm having a vision" ruse, and most of the characters know it's a ruse but they accept it because he gets results. I think the cops know that he doesn't have the discipline to be an actual cop, but his skills are valuable, so if the psychic angle is what can keep him on the payroll, they go with it.

In recent seasons, they don't really do the "vision" thing very much anymore. It's pretty much become a parody/tribute of the week type show (sort of like Community). For example, last season, they had a Twin Peaks tribute with a lot of the original Twin Peaks cast playing roles.

9. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    The case of the week isn't the most entertaining part for me. The most entertaining part is all of the obscure references made by Shawn and Gus (mostly Shawn).

10. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I like the show. Showed up on Netflix streaming as a recommended pick so I tried it.

11. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I watched about a half season and just really didn't care for it. The recordings sat on my DVR until they just started dropping off - then I just deleted the SP and all episodes I hadn't watched yet.

12. Enrique

Enrique Well-Known Member

May 15, 2006
    I loved season 1-4, but in season 5 it just went off the deep end for me and became boring. I don't think they're going to get a seventh season as their number keep dropping like a rock(From 4.5million to only 2.90million by the end of season 5).

13. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Psych is a C+ in a D- entertainment environment. If you've got enough B's to keep you going (there are a few), I'd pass on Psych. Except that every once in awhile they have an episode that hits on all cylinders and you smile a lot, maybe laugh a bit. Intermittent random positive reinforcement is insidious.

14. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Psych used to be much better. I'll still watch when it comes back but I think they've gotten as much out of this premise as they can. Plus, Jules deserves so much better than Shawn.

15. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Psych is a show we like, but IMO it is a show where you need to be able to let things go and not expect logic or for it to always make too much sense. If you nitpick everything you will hate it, so save yourself the trouble.
    It's candy TV.
    No nutritional value at all but makes a nice snack when there's nothing else within grabbing distance.

This.
    The premise of the show is just a vehicle for the Gus/Shawn banter with a side order of Dad.

16. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I watched it for several years and just got tired of it. I suggest you watch at least one season of it to get the gist. Not a bad show but there is no character development. The dad is great.

17. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    It's a fun show, but the last half of last season lost me. I've still got episodes left to watch.

Actually, come to think of it, I deleted them the other night.

18. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I was at home for a month with back problems earlier in the year. During that time, I watched every episode of Psych on Netflix streaming. I liked the show quite a bit.

The one thing I remember not liking was the season finales. They always had this Ying Yang (or something) character in the finale. For some reason, I completely hated this storyline. I think because for the most part, the show is just goofy. Then they try to do this one episode a year that is life and death serious. Just did not like it.

I will watched the new season when it starts up later this year.

19. Fahtrim

Fahtrim Member

Apr 12, 2004
    Missouri
    Love this show, makes me smile and I enjoy the crap out of it. I guess I'm just a juvenile at heart.

20. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I can understand not liking the mystery of the week thing. Psych does that with rare exception. That said, I find it a lot better than most mystery shows. The bar is really low, though. It just has to be entertaining despite being completely stupid and non-mystery-like. Psych does that. Most mystery shows don't.