1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would like some advice

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by ssls6, May 15, 2018.

1. ssls6

ssls6 New Member

Jan 24, 2018
    I'm building a new home in Colorado which will be serviced by comcast. I hate the idea of rented multiple comcast boxes so I'm looking at TiVO.

My plan would be......

cable internet into a cable modem/router that feeds a cisco switch.
    The cisco switch would sum up all the cat6 ethernet wire in every room
    Near the cisco switch would also be my plex server

At my main tv location, I would have the tivo bolt/vox? with comcast cable card
    At all other tv locations I would have tivo mini's (5 or 6 of them)
    all the above wired with ethernet

Now on any given TV, I should have access to cable, streaming, & plex.

I'm a TiVo newbie so if my thinking is wrong, how should I change it? Anything else to look out for with TiVo?

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Solid plan, depending on what you mean by streaming. If just Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Youtube, HBO, then you're golden. Anything beyond that, you'll need additional streaming devices (Smart TV, Roku, AppleTV, Fire TV, whatever).

You may want some additional streaming devices anyway, depending on the apps you want to run. For example, the Hulu app on Tivo is pretty old and doesn't handle profiles like the current app.

And you may want to consider cutting the cord altogether after your new customer discounts expire. I imagine the typical Plex user would have a library of entertainment that does not come from cable TV service. The few cable channels you actually watch are probably available for a lot less money from an OTT service. This would change your hardware to a Roamio OTA (cheaper than a Bolt) plus Minis plus some cheap streaming devices.

3. tapokata

tapokata Active Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    That should work. As you are building, run cat6 ethernet AND RG6 coax to all TV locations, and have all of those drops terminate in the same cabinet as the ethernet (the labor to pull one wire is no more than it is to pull two). That would give you the option to move all of the TiVo traffic between the Bolt and the Mini's via MoCA. The coax network would be handy should if you wanted Over The Air TV reception at all of the set locations (not necessary with a Bolt/Roamio and Mini setup, but sometimes desired).

4. ssls6

ssls6 New Member

Jan 24, 2018
    I will have cat6 and coax to all TVs. I don't have any experience with MoCA just ethernet. I will never be able to cut the cord as my wife has several "must have" cable networks but only watches them via DVR (too many commercials).

I appreciate the inputs.

5. tapokata

tapokata Active Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Both SlingTV and Play Station Vue have cloud-based DVR's- and many (although not all) of the programs shown can be recorded for replay later. We were Over the Air users for years, then went to cable for a few, and cut the cord and came back. SlingTV (and now PS Vue) has everything that the wife insisted she needed to watch (and the local regional sports channels for me). We use the antenna for all of the major network stuff, and others.

MoCA is not difficult to set up, and if you have a Bolt and Mini's, it's all that you'll need in the way of equipment. Ethernet will work fine as well- but it's good to have options. Best of luck!

6. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    I'd recommend a minimum of 2 Cat5 and 2 coax to each TV location. You maybe should consider 2 more Cat 5 than the total number of each currently known device.

Otherwise, even if you end up with more hardware at any location than currently planned, you can make it work.

-KP

aaronwt likes this.
  7. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Totally

May 8, 2006
    Have similar setup. But coax starts at one point and then splits throughout the house. In my case I would have to disconnect cable tv and connect an external antenna at that one location. Dual coax setup as suggested before would be nice. Cat 6 connectivity is the way to go.

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    You might want to consider how many Minis would be used simultaneously, and if they would be watching something live. Because the Bolt Vox has six tuners. So you would have to account for the number of shows that might be recording plus the number of Minis that might be using Live TV. If they will never be using Live TV then it won't be an issue.

So say you have four shows recording, that would leave only one tuner for live TV to be used by a Mini. Since one tuner is always reserved for the host TiVo.

9. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    FWIW, DirecTV NOW streaming has DVR and nearly all cable networks. That's how I cut the cord.
    ... and DirecTV NOW and Youtube TV. For $35 I'm getting the same lineup on DTVN that I had on my $100 cable package. Not missing a thing.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I wish that was the same for me. I would need to get the top tier package at $70 a month to come anywhere close to what i currently get on cable. Which a price that is already close to what I currently pay. But then that still doesn't match what I get. In the end it would be much more expensive for me to drop what i currently have. And get everything I watch from other means.

kpeters59 likes this.
  11. leswar

leswar leswar

Apr 14, 2005
    Vero Beach
    Can you skip commercials with DTVN the same way you can with a tivo? Have you experienced any streaming slowdowns or stoppage on live sporting events. I heard that might be a problem with some events like the Superbowl/World Series. What's the min. internet speed to make it (streaming) work and separate internet costs associated with cutting the (cable stations)cord? Thanks for any info.

12. leswar

leswar leswar

Apr 14, 2005
    Vero Beach

13. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Sort of, via ffwd. There is no skip function per se or any auto-skip marks in the streams, though I suppose you could make such a function with a macro on a universal remote. I personally haven't bothered going that far.
    Sorry, but I've never watched any live sports on DTVN. Maybe check in the AT&T forums.
    DTVN recommends minimum 150 Kbps - 2.5 Mbps for mobile devices, 2.5 Mbps - 7.5 Mbps for HD on a streaming device connected to a TV. I would go at least 10 Meg for HD and other internet tasks at the same time for one user - one stream. If there are others in your house using the internet or streaming, you probably want to go significantly higher than that.

Don't expect an OTT service to be anywhere near the same experience as a cable/sat DVR. For that savings, you have to give up some bells and whistles. Channel changes are slow and clunky, recording parameters are very basic, recordings expire after a month (or 3) and live in the cloud, etc. But to me, the savings are well worth giving up a few niceties.

There's no reason you can't keep Tivo (or some other DVR) for OTA and use OTT for other cable channels. That's what I do since the vast majority of my recordings are OTA anyway. But having OTT gives me access to vast amounts of on demand on nearly all cable and premium channels whether I record anything in the cloud or not.

14. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Directv is supposed to have a set top box version of DTVN coming soon complete with local storage.