Would I be wasting my money?

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by Pine Cladding, May 31, 2011.

1. Pine Cladding

Pine Cladding Large member (Ooer!)

Aug 4, 2001
    Fareham, UK
    I currently have about 2TB of movies in various formats held on my WHS and NAS devices. Will the suggested network link allow streaming of such files or should I buy something like a Sumvision Cyclone Live MKV 2?

2. richw

richw New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Bath, UK
    There's currently no functionality in the Tivo to play files from elsewhere.

3. Pine Cladding

Pine Cladding Large member (Ooer!)

Aug 4, 2001
    Fareham, UK
    Heh, yes, I do realise that Rich, hence the 'suggested' bit ;)

It would be nice to know what plans if any Virgin have for the RJ45 socket and media key access in/on their box. Will the media key be used to allow another box or device acces to files stored on the TiVo? More relevent to my question, will it allow two way traffic? I would rather not add more devices under the telly.

4. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    I think it will come; eventually. Just not sure exactly how much functionality they'll be able to give us.

I'd love to be able to access my Tivo via the internet; and I don't mean just for remote recording via the TVG on VM's website.

5. Karnak

Karnak 'Local'

Jan 13, 2003
    I'm not convinced we'll ever get the ability to stream content from NAS boxes etc. I think a cheap media streamer or a 'network tv', and a quick switch of input is the way of things for a while.

6. jethrouk

jethrouk New Member

May 7, 2011
    I just ordered a new TV and that has Network access - i expect most new TVs have it now