Worth trying to sell my old TiVo HD units?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by srauly, Jul 23, 2020.

1. srauly

srauly Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Simsbury,...

Advertisements

I'm in the process of moving houses and I promised my wife that *this time* I wouldn't bring with us a lot of my old electronics that I haven't used in ages, and never got around to trying to sell. For many of these items, I hadn't used them in a long time before the last move, but was sure that I'd take some time to try to sell them after the move, but that usually never happened (we moved into our current house 12 years ago).

So here I am again, and I was ready to toss out most of my old electronics, including a few TiVo units. A couple are original models. I haven't bothered looking up the model number on the case, but if you think there's any value to those, let me know.

Then I've got a couple of what I think are the TiVo HD units (that's what it says on the box) model number TCD652160. It has a slot for a cablecard. I believe that one of these has lifetime service, but hadn't been used in a long while. It stopped getting used around the time I got a Roamio (?) model and a TiVo Mini. I've got another TCD652160 which was brand new in the box, never opened, until I just cut open the box a few minutes ago (I had forgotten that I had never opened it and thought that the tape was a re-tape job I might have done). So, inside, it was still wrapped in some foam wrap. That one, of course, would not have lifetime service.

Is it worth my while to try to sell them? If so, should I be doing some sort of "factory reset" on the first one? Should I be attempting to boot up both of them to make sure they still work?

I really don't want to spend a lot of time on this, as we have *SO* much to do as part of the packing/moving process, but I suppose I could also take these two units with me to the new house (one last time) and try to sell them later.

2. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    The new one in the box is useless as Tivo wont activate a Series3/TivoHD anymore (they will transfer the one with lifetime if you do sell it)
    Maybe for parts

I wonder if it would take a software update since its been so long since you used it

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    S3 is rather useless nowadays, the streaming services were removed (youtube, Netflix)... Its also not good for cable with SDV (MPEG4)

4. Seth Mason

Seth Mason New Member

Jul 24, 2020
    I live in Orange Connecticut and would like to take your Series 3 off your hands. The power supply in mine just died. I'd like to get my unit up and going again.

5. srauly

srauly Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Simsbury,...

Advertisements

What would a fair price be?

6. Seth Mason

Seth Mason New Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Started a PM conversation, please see check your inbox. Thanks!

7. Majik45

Majik45 New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    I also could use a power supply from an old Tivo HD model as the power supply in my HDXL Tivo just went out it appears.

8. srauly

srauly Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Simsbury,...
    Sorry Majik45, I sold the new unit to Seth. I'm thinking I may hold on to the older unit w/lifetime a bit longer.

9. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You would be better off to replace the capacitors. The power supply in another Tivo S3/HD is just as old and those capacitors need replacing as well.

Try to find an electronics repair shop, try google electronics repair and include your location. (if you are unable to do electronics soldering.)

10. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You should have replaced the power supply in your lifetime unit with the power supply in the brand new unit.

11. Majik45

Majik45 New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    I ended up getting my Power supply repaired by a really nice guy on ebay. I bought the auction item for $50, I pulled the bad power supply from my tivo, I sent him the power supply, he paid for shipping both ways, he repaired the power supply and tested it, sent it back to me, I put it back in my Tivo, and it is now working fine again. Would highly recommend.

shwru980r likes this.
  12. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I also have a Tivo HD sitting on the shelf with life time. Not sure what I am going to do with it.

13. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Let it HD connect in case there is another lifetime transfer offer.

unclehonkey likes this.
  14. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Thanks never thought of that.

shwru980r likes this.