Worth replacing working DSR6000?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by designbot, Aug 30, 2007.

1. designbot

designbot Internet Cliché

Mar 29, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I've had a DSR6000 receiver for over 4 years now, and it's still working fine, with a second hard drive. The fan gets really loud, though, which drives me crazy.

I figured that I would probably qualify for some special offers from DirecTV if I gave them a call, and I'm trying to decide whether it would be worth asking for a new unit. I haven't found a good comparison of all the current DirecTV models. Is it likely that I would be able to get a newer TiVo unit, or would I probably be stuck with a non-TiVo DVR?

I don't have an HDTV yet, and it will probably be at least another year or two before I get one. Should I just keep using what I've got, or is there something better out there?

Any suggestions about the fan noise?

2. Rainy Dave

Rainy Dave Regulated User

Nov 11, 2001
    Puget Sound...
    You'd likely get a nonTiVo unit.

I'd swap out the fan in the 6000 and keep it running.

3. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    A noisy DTivo is better than a quiet POS any day. ;)

4. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    What's a fan cost for a DSR6000? $7 or so? Worth it to just replace the fan.

The time you will spend waiting on hold to talk to Directv, you could have already fixed the existing unit.

5. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    It's not worth bothering with their crappy DVR or the 2 year commitment that you'll get.

6. grecorj

grecorj Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2002
    CT
    The fan is dead simple to replace. You can get them anywhere, but places like WeaKnees sell them, too. I did this with my DSR6000 and it was much quieter and cooler with a new fan. My DSR6000 has been running smoothly since 2002, with 2 upgrades in between.

7. Sep 2, 2007 #7 of 10
    DonHac

DonHac New Member

Mar 15, 2007
    The DSR6000 is never going to be very quiet, even with a good fan, because it has such a lousy airflow pattern (in and out through the bottom of the case; it makes the fan work too hard). This spring I picked up an R10 with no disk drive on eBay for $10 and migrated from our old DSR6000 to that. It's much quieter and I have folders, which are easily worth more than $10 on their own.

Don

8. Sep 2, 2007 #8 of 10
    MirclMax

MirclMax Ancient Member

Jul 12, 2000
    I did a fan replacement for a DSR6000 from Weaknees as well... I highly recommend it.

9. Sep 3, 2007 #9 of 10
    wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    The DSR is quiet if you get a decent quiet fan.

Go to any Computer Store or look online. You can get a cheap fan for around $7.00. Or get something decent for around $20.00.

They take the same basic fan as any Computer takes.

10. DonHac

DonHac New Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Trust me on this. The stock 6000 fan was loud. Replacing it with the Weaknees fan kit was less noisy. I replaced that with a SilenX PC fan, which was better still.

That said, the R10 with a stock fan is much quieter than any option I tried on the DSR6000, and runs cooler as well. Just like with a computer, having a chassis that promotes good airflow makes the fan's job much easier, and the whole system quieter.