Worth repairing my S2?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Eccles, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Eccles

Eccles Mostly harmless

Dec 27, 2001
    Austin, TX
    We have two TiVos in our household - an old S2 which has finally died after being on life support for a couple of years, and an HD. Both have Lifetime subscriptions.

I'm looking at purchasing a new Premiere w/Lifetime, and relegating the HD to the guest room which used to house the S2. However, because the S2 was our original unit and the HD was purchased at an MSD discount, the S2 is the anchor unit for our MSD, and since it's no longer active, I'm no longer seeing discounts on either hardware or subscriptions on the TiVo site.

So, my dilemma is whether to toss Weaknees $150 to resurrect the old S2, which would basically just sit in a corner idling and making regular connections to TiVo HQ in order to retain our MSD, or whether I should just put it on eBay as-is and pay full whack for a new Premiere which would then become the anchor for a new MSD if we were to purchase another down the track.

Whaddyall think?

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Do you suspect the hard drive or the power supply?

You could try to get the S2 working, so you could have it call in and re-establish your MSD.
    Then buy a Premiere and put lifetime service on it with the $100 MSD discount.
    Finally, you sell your working S2 with lifetime and recoup the cost to have it fixed. Only thing with this is you would lose your MSD status.

The other way you sell a non-working S2 w/lifetime to help you pay for a Premiere (with lifetime I would hope) to re-establish your MSD for possible future purchases.

IF I knew in fact that I'd be buying a new Tivo in the future, I'd opt to just sell the S2 as is and pay for the Premiere to re-establish MSD for that purchase.

3. Eccles

Eccles Mostly harmless

Dec 27, 2001
    Austin, TX
    No, both those have already been replaced over the years. The PSU appears to be supplying the correct voltages, but the HD (any HD) won't spin up nor is there any activity on the screen whatsoever, which suggests motherboard failure to me. I'd replace it myself but for the fact that the serial# and Lifetime sub are tied to it.

I think I'm leaning that way. Thanks for your input.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The TSN and relative info are on the crypto chip on the mainboard. If you can get the same model TiVo, you (or someone with the right skills and tools) can move the crypto chip from your failed TiVo to the one you bought.

5. Eccles

Eccles Mostly harmless

Dec 27, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Interesting. I know my way around a (de-)soldering iron, but I'm not comfortable with surface mount stuff. However, if said chip is the one non-SMT chip I see (labeled CBOM 00007-000 LOC U34 REV 1.0) then I might give that a try.

Time for some more research. Thanks for the info.

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The crypto chip is an Atmel AT90SC series chip, FWIW.

7. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    You could try using an external power source to spin up the hard drive and see what is going on.

But honestly for $100 I might just pay for the new Premiere and use Craig s list to see if anyone will give you anything for the S2. I don't think it is worth dealing with ebay - working S2s with lifetime are around $100 without hard drive upgrades.

Good Luck,

8. Eccles

Eccles Mostly harmless

Dec 27, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the suggestion, but it's not the drive. If I leave the HD connected to the TiVo's PSU but disconnect the IDE cable from the m/b and connect it instead to a PC, then the drive spins up fine and is accessible from the PC.

The TiVo motherboard is simply not sending a start signal to the drive, nor any signal at all to the screen. I've replaced the BIOS battery, but that's the only user-replaceable part on the board.

9. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    But have you tried leaving the hard drive's IDE cable connected to the TiVo and having the PC supplying power for the hard drive (with the hard drive already running when power is applied to the TiVo)?

What's the model number of that Series 2?

What was the source of the replacement power supply?

What did you do with the original power supply?

10. Eccles

Eccles Mostly harmless

Dec 27, 2001
    Austin, TX
    No, but I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

It's a TCD240080

It was a while ago now, but IIRC I got it from eBay

I tossed it. It had visibly (and aromatically) overheated and was, quite literally, toast.

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    classicsat can probably tell us off the top of his head, but I'm going to guess that the replacement power supply's got a 2200uF, 16V electrolytic capacitor inconveniently hiding under the big heat sink that's gone bad, and replacing it is probably all that's needed.

12. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    If it is a non A (flat fan grille), it probably is an early model, and it will use the older style crypto chip on the bottom. Those have a coarser pin pitch, and are much easier to move around. I am just saying.

My 240080 was manufactuer Sept 2002, and that is the case with mine (flat fan grille, old style crypto chip on bottom, crypto chip space empty on top.

13. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Is the power supply about the same between the A's and the 0's, and is it just as likely to be that same cap gone bad?

14. Eccles

Eccles Mostly harmless

Dec 27, 2001
    Austin, TX
    It's a non-A with a flat fan grille, also manufactured Sept '02, I see a single non-SMT chip at location U34 (between the RF tuner and the heatsinked chips), and empty chip locations at U25/U26 (near the IDE connector) and U30 (near the s-video input). I have not yet removed the board to see what, if anything, is underneath.

But it sounds like you guys believe the likely suspect is the PSU again. It's possible that this replacement PSU may have been from an A - the layout was very slightly different from the original. I do see a 2200uF cap under the heatsink, but it's a 10V unit and not showing any physical signs of distress. I'll try powering the drive from a separate supply today and report back.

Thanks for your help!

15. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Check badcaps.net and lcdalternatives for info on how to spot bad electrolytics (sometimes it's only a slight dome-ing of the top).

16. Eccles

Eccles Mostly harmless

Dec 27, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Now I look closer, I see a second 2200uF cap which is both 16V and a little bloated. Might be time for a trip to Fry's at lunchtime.

17. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The magic words are "low ESR".

18. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The crypto chip location on the A models is just behind the TiVo Asic, beside the IDE connector.

It is a square finer pitched SMD chip with many pins, but only about 8 used.

I know the PSUs are drop in compatible amongst all 240 and 540/590 models (used with one drive), but am unaware of variances in the 240 and 240A supplies. I'll have to look.

19. Mfusick

Mfusick New Member

Aug 25, 2011
    fix it. why not?

seems worth it