Worth listing?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by rickynumber18, Dec 17, 2011.

1. rickynumber18

rickynumber18 Leaving the building

Feb 28, 2007
    Hi all. After 6 months of trying to manage with the ALTEPG service I've given up. I use my TiVo mostly for my little boys programmes and the ALTEPG data for kids TV is really lacking (and it records most shows twice) so I bought a Freeview recorder instead.

I see allot of people are giving away TiVos but I'd like to cover some of the costs of my new box (it wasn't that much). Is there any money to be made on a 'well known auction site' from listing a TiVo and if so how much should I list for? My TiVo has a large HDD and a network card. Installed Tivoweb, Tivoweb+, buffer, now playing with sort and several other popular hacks. I've lost track of exactly how many I've installed over the years. Any advice would be great. Thanx.

2. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    that will tell you if there is any demand for it.

3. rickynumber18

Feb 28, 2007
    There have been a couple listed lately but they weren't offering 'cards, larger HDDs or ALTEPG so not of good comparisions. Hence my question to the good folk on the forum.

4. davidshack

davidshack Peripatetic member

Aug 17, 2002
    perpetual...
    Typically a cachecarded TiVo with large drives etc etc has been going recently on Ebay for around £50. A standard TiVo for £10-£25. Out of that you wil pay ebay & paypal fees, plus have the hassle. After all, they are ten years old, have run 24/7 and have no warranty.

5. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    You can't even give them away these days. :(

6. Richard42

Richard42 New Member

Dec 27, 2000
    Oxford,Oxfor...
    I don't understand the large number of Virgin tivo's for sale on that site :confused: - surley you'd need a virgin sub and thus would get a new box for free. Or am I missing something ?

7. rickynumber18

Feb 28, 2007
    Such a shame. I've worked on my TiVo and I'd hate to just give it away. I wouldn't even want a lot (not even £50), just a few bob to cover the Freeview recorder. I guess when factoring in eBay and Paypal fees (if posting) I might as well stick it in the loft forever more. A sad day.

8. rickynumber18

Feb 28, 2007
    Richard42, I agree. I can't get my head around that. It's not the same as buying a Sky / Sky+ / Sky+HD box from eBay where you could get some services without a sub'. With a Virgin TiVo box my understanding is you need a sub' to get anything?! Maybe it's cheaper than buying a box from Virgin directly.

9. kandinsky

kandinsky New Member

Jan 16, 2005
    I m looking for a network card for a tivo....

:)

10. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    I agree with davidshack. I've been watching TiVo prices on eBay for the past year and after a brief rise in value in July/Aug they've plummeted again.

A Turbonet card by itself is worth £20-25 (vs. £35 new from John in NZ), or if it's a Cachecard then about £45-50 (vs. £70 new from TivoCentral, or £90 from Tivoland).

Unfortunately the rump is then only worth £5-12. Perhaps slightly more if the person can collect (and thereby avoid postage charges).

Edit: I meant to say that the postage charges really hammer the price potential - i.e. a complete Tivo+Turbonet/Cachecard will actually sell for *less* than the value of the parts due to the £15 delivery charge making it very pricey to the buyer. Most people only want the network card so will discount the larger HDD and the AltEPG - this obviously affects how much they will bid.

11. rickynumber18

Feb 28, 2007
    My box has a Cachecard not a Turbonet card. I think the drive is 300GB or maybe 250GB. I'd be happy with £30 or £40 quid but as you say someone would have to be in my part of the world although I think I'm going to offer free postage on eBay. I know of one courier, whom I've used before, and they only charges in the region of a fiver.

12. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Yes I think it's possible to get postage for about £9 (inc vat). Hint: a boxed TiVo weighs 7.2 kg (I think from memory).

Edit: mind you, if you only want £30-40 then personally I would sell the cachecard separately and scrap the rest - you would end up with more in your pocket at t'end of day.
    cachecard on eBay this week

13. rickynumber18

Feb 28, 2007
    WOW. With a capital WOW. Why are the cards going for so much and the boxes for so little? Can they be used for something else? I think my RAM is 500MB as well. Can I tell someway? Via TiVo web perhaps? I'll be listing my 'card today!

14. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    No. You're absolutely right. I have been assured that VM are "all over it" but they don't seem to be doing too good a job of it. Or maybe it's eBay that aren't acting quick enough. Not sure.

15. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Because new cachecards are £70 or £90 (depending on where you get them) and unlike discs they don't really wear out! ;) So they hold their value.

Plus as I say (in the edit to my post above which you might not have seen since it was timed after your post IYSWIM) it's the postage cost which makes a whole TiVo expensive to the buyer.

There should be a little sticker on the ram chips saying what size it is. If not then tell me the number written on top of one of the chips (they should all be the same) and I'll look it up. (Or I think when you switch the TiVo on, the cachecard driver says how much memory its found).

16. rickynumber18

Feb 28, 2007
    The Cachecard driver is displaying 500MB so that answers that. I'd have covered postage for the TiVo box but it's not worth it when I could get £50 for the Cachecard. Maybe I could throw the TiVo in for free, if the person buying was near me. I'll post again when the Cachecard and RAM are listed.

17. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Just for "balance" there was this one which had 500 GB HD and Cachecard which went for £68 + £15 postage. However I think that was a bit pricey (£83 to the buyer).

18. rickynumber18

Feb 28, 2007
    Thanks for that. That's interesting. I wonder why a buyer (and 5 bids total) were willing to pay so much. Maybe for parts? Broken down they may make more than that back. Now I don't know what to do. My HDD isn't 500GB. To list the whole TiVo or just the 'card? Decisions.

19. rickynumber18

Feb 28, 2007
    I think I'll do a all-in-one listing for now. Throwing in the TiVo, Glo remote, RT2Link TP and a free Sky receiver. Can't hurt, it's just the listing fee I stand to loose and if nought comes of it I'll break it up into parts in the New Year.

20. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    :nods: Sounds good. If you mention that it is already configured & working with AltEPG, and with Freesky thrown in (so it just needs a £20 "free" card from Sky if the buyer doesn't have Sky already) then you make it more attractive to new-to-TiVo-people as well as we techno-f*rts :)