Worth going to Hydra for VOX?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mcharkowski, Apr 3, 2020.

1. mcharkowski

mcharkowski Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Epping, NH
    I've got a Roamio and a couple of Minis, all on lifetime for probably 5+ years at this point. The remote on the Roamio had seen better days so I ordered a new one and the new VOX remote with the bluetooth dongle was actually the cheapest option on Amazon. I had had no interest in "upgrading" to Hydra/UE4, but as I understand it using the voice search functionality would require it. Question, then: Do I upgrade? Is the voice functionality worth it? Hydra's been around for a while now, has it gotten to the point that it actually offers some nice features? Any speed differences on the apps, etc.? Any opinions would be more than welcome.

2. omelet1978

omelet1978 Active Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Last time I checked Vox did not work with apps, but just the Tivo software so rather limited. That could have changed though or I could be totally wrong.

My solution was to buy a 3tb Tivo Bolt and use the slide remote.

3. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Vox is really a waste of time on the Tivo, what are you really going to search OTA? and Cable is dying with cable cards, so thats a dead end. For streaming apps? thats a waste too since the apps are no longer updated or any new ones.

4. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Ya know what? Watching tv is a waste of time. So is fun family and friends. Why not find an old tube tv and put a coat hanger on the antenna jack? Or maybe not-- waste of time.

5. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Many threads here on this topic--you might want to read through a few.

TE4 has some very nice features, including voice* and AutoSkip, and it's purty eye candy. And you also lose some by moving from TE3, including PC -> TiVo box show transfers, no box-to-box transfers from a box (you need to go to TiVo Online), and no TiVo Live Guide. Also, TE3 doesn't have the despised TiVo pre-roll ads, although you can call TiVo to opt out of that under TE4; TE4 also has a constant 1-line ad for TiVo+ under the TE4 Grid Guide (which cannot be removed), which drives some people batty.

* Note that you can get some limited voice command capability on a TiVo box using TE3, via Alexa on the Amazon Echo platform (e.g. "Alexa, change the channel to CBS").