Worst Chopped basket ever?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by justen_m, Jul 12, 2015.

1. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID

Advertisements

I just watched an episode where the appetizer basket was...

beef tendon balls (ok in Vietnamese pho)
    Jerusalem artichokes (not a bad ingredient)
    purslane ( a small green that one judge said is like something growing in the cracks in a sidewalk)
    mini chocolate peanut butter cups (you know, these: http://images.hersheysstore.com/imagesEdp/p143710z2.jpg

I've probably seen worse baskets and just don't remember. Beef tendon and peanut butter cups.

2. kdonnel

kdonnel DVC-BCV

Nov 28, 2000
    Metro...
    My kids liked coming up with ideas for bad baskets.

3. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Let's come up with some bad baskets.

I'll start:

Porcupine pie with Gorilla gravy -- yum-yum!
    Crabapple soup with real crabs and real apples.
    Moldy toast with monkey marmalade.

4. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Yuck. I don't like crazy baskets and they definitely have gotten more overboard as time has gone on.

5. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000

Advertisements

I think the viewer's choice ones were pretty sadistic... man are the viewers mean.

1st Round (Pinterest): Durian, lime gelatin, imitation crab meat, crunchy cheese curls
    2nd Round (Facebook): Chicken in a can (I thought this was a Cutthroat Kitchen exclusive...), canned clam chowder, potato tots, skirt steak
    3rd Round (Twitter): kale, fruit cocktail, cottage cheese, marrow bones

I think most of the Chopped viewers got their ideas from other shows.

Apparently the Pinterest ones were pretty awful to put together, especially given the scent of durian. (If you haven't had it, it's an Asian fruit which tastes awesome, but smells like rotting garbage. So much so it's actually banned in a lot of placed in Asia - you won't be able to take it on public transit, for example).

I wonder if the Chopped guys actually do like Cutthroat Kitchen and test that they can make something out of those ingredients. (Everyone knows whole chicken in a can is just plain nasty).

Edit: I wonder what would happen if the Chopped baskets started featuring items from Cutthroat Kitchen sabotages, and what happens if the Cutthroat Kitchen sabotages were suddenly Chopped baskets that the chefs suddenly had to incorporate as well...

6. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Disagree. These are one of the worst vegetables to ever exist. If you want to feel like you might be dying for hours afterwards because you have such incredible gas, these are perfect for you. I've tried numerous cooking techniques to reduce the effect, and at best, after cooking them in liquid hot magma for 42 days, you might only just be passing gas uncomfortably for the night. Thus their nickname of "fartichokes"

7. dtivouser

dtivouser Tivoless

Feb 10, 2004
    SoCal
    Mac & Cheese. Carnation Chocolate Breakfast mix. Pasta.

Heck, I made an 8-year old child out of this, pretty much. (Picky eater)