Worse reception with Roamio OTA?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Buckav9/9, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Buckav9/9

Buckav9/9 New Member

Jan 19, 2016

Advertisements

Hello!

I just got my Roamio OTA today and finished the set up. I have been using just an antenna for OTA channels for a while now and had spent a pretty good amount of time setting up my antenna in just the right spot and securing it where it is. However, when I got the Roamio set up and the antenna running through it, my reception is significantly worse (basically none of my channels are watchable). The antenna never moved and I confirmed that disconnecting the Roamio returned my reception to what it was.

Is this a known issue? Is there a reason that reception would go down running through the Roamio rather than just directly to the TV? I spent a significant amount of time positioning the antenna and do not think that there will be any way to relocate it to improve reception.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

2. jamesteixeira

jamesteixeira Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Round Rock TX
    No channels will tune through the Roamio? How far are you from the broadcasting towers? Something should tune in. Get another Roamio and try it, your existing one may have bad tuners. Return the Roamio within 30 days to keep from having to pay for it.

3. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I have a Roamio, TiVoHD, and TiVo Premiere all on the same antenna. I don't see any issues with the Roamio for OTA here and I don't recall reading anything that would make me believe the Roamio is inferior to previous OTA TiVos.

4. Buckav9/9

Buckav9/9 New Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Thanks. The channels are all there, but really blocky and with poor enough signal that they are cutting out 60-70% of the time. Without the Roamio attached, I can't remember the last time I had any signal cut out.

5. phughes200

phughes200 Member

Jul 24, 2014

Advertisements

What signal strength are you seeing?

6. Buckav9/9

Buckav9/9 New Member

Jan 19, 2016
    I will spend some time tonight getting more exact numbers, but without the Roamio, my TV shows strengths around 60-70 for most channels. With the Roamio it is showing around 15-20.

I can report back with more specifics tonight.

7. lmacmil

lmacmil Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Same for me and my Roamio.

renee312 likes this.
  8. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot New Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Considering the price that these are going for on Amazon - TiVo has really had to driven down the cost in every way possible.

It would not surprise me if the ATSC tuners on these new Roamio OTAs are not of the "best" quality.

If you re-read the thread with TiVo's CMO, aiming at the top end of the market has not worked for TiVo - and their thinking now is going after the masses.

9. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY
    I have been using an antenna with a Premiere for years and find that the reception is worse through the Premiere than when using the television's own tuner.

I also started using an antenna in another room with a Roamio Basic. Same issue. Reception is better through the TV than with the Roamio.

I've been annoyed by this for years. But I won't watch "Live" TV so must use a DVR.

My situation is that most channels come in on the Premiere and most on the Roamio, though different ones. So I can copy from one machine to the other if I want to watch a show in another room.

10. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 7, 2016
    If you are in the heart of NYC, your issue is lost likely multipath causing signal quality issues and digital errors.

With digital you do not get the old "ghosts". Either the info is usable - or the picture starts breaking up with errors, which quickly degrades to no usable picture.

For Manhattan et al proper, the backup TSQ transmission site work MUCH better than Empire, but those reduce the reception OTA in Jersey and the Island.

11. Jack Mccarthy

Jack Mccarthy Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Where is your antenna is relation to the Roamio OTA? I've been recently setting up my Roamio Basic and compared it to the Premier and noticed the Roamio does a better job picking up signal levels for the weaker stations.

The big difference for me is that I'm using a Clearstream 4V antenna in my attic with a 1dB noise figure Winegard LNA-200 pre-amp and driving it through 50ft of premium RG-6 cable.

If you have a long cable run, a low noise figure pre-amp does wonders to help the signal level. My Roamio will even work well with a cheaper $20 double bowtie antenna with a reflector vs. the Premier which needs the Clearstream 4V antenna to pick up the weaker signals better.

Walmart sells the pre-amps, so you can easily order one online and pick it up in the store. You only need to insure you have a power outlet near your antenna for the pre-amp.

12. mjh

mjh Re: Member

Dec 19, 2002
    I had the same experience. TivoHD and Premiere had much better tuners than Roamio OTA. I posted as such here

I can believe part of the explanation that driving 4 tuners, you end up with poorer signal at each tuner. Which means that several stations that I used to be able to receive, I can no longer receive. Which is ok, because they're just FOX & CBS from a neighboring city, where I can get FOX and CBS locally without any problem.

The real problem is that I no longer consistently get a network that has a tower that's only 5 mi away, and I can see the tower from my house. And that's ABC, for which there are several programs I record that end up with frequent pixelation that interrupts key portions of what I'm watching. That one is frustrating.

13. phughes200

phughes200 Member

Jul 24, 2014
    In my limited experience, if your signal strength is 15-20 then I am not surprised that you are having problems. It also depends on how steady the readings are. I have one channel that bounce around and occasionally have trouble recording it. Another weaker channel also is fine. It is hard to compare signal strength readings between two different devices. In your case, I wonder if you just got a bad unit.

In my case, I found the Roamio turners to be better than the Premiere. The tuners on my TV do appear better.

14. aepcopat

aepcopat New Member

Mar 25, 2015
    I just ditched my cable card this weekend for OTA. I was able to scan the channels just fine on Tivo Roamio, but recorded content is really choppy. Not sure what the problem is. Any ideas?

15. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 7, 2016
    The 5 mile away - you are either overloading the tuner, causing errors - or it is actually overshooting your location and the bounce back is causing quality of signal errors.

Remember in digital, the quality of the signal is more important that the signal strength, especially with OTA which has minimal error correction.

16. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 7, 2016
    Again, quality of signal is more important than signal strength.

Many devices actually report the Quality of the Signal and label it Signal Strength.

I do not know if TiVo labels as such.

17. namwoljr

namwoljr Guest

Aug 8, 2014
    The Roamio signal strength (at least for my unit) maxes out at 72 for all of my stronger signals. I usually look at the SNR (signal to noise ratio) to give me a better idea of signal quality. If I'm not mistaken, I think 15 dB is the digital cliff, so anything above that should be able to give you a picture, although without any headroom, it won't likely be stable. I get 29dB on all my stronger signals, and I can pick up stations with as low as 17dB, but not nearly as reliably.

18. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY
    I meant to mention that I am in the heart of Los Angeles with my OTA machines. My TV tuners get better reception than the TiVo tuners. (I also have TiVos fed by Verizon FIOS in Manhattan, hence my name of nycityny.)

19. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 7, 2016
    HTML:

Beside your nick, your location says New York.

Where in LA. It makes a major difference.

20. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY
    Near CBS Television City on Fairfax.