World Wide Recession = Lower Prices

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by MediaLivingRoom, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Oct 8, 2008 #1 of 23
    MediaLivingRoom

MediaLivingRoom New Member

Dec 10, 2002

Advertisements

TiVo should lower it's prices for the basic HD units to $149.00 to get more people buying the product.

2. Oct 8, 2008 #2 of 23
    osborn4

osborn4 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    If they need to kickstart sales, they need to have a "transfer lifetime" offer again. :cool:

3. Oct 8, 2008 #3 of 23
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, I hope Tivo does another one soon.
    Perfect time to start - November. Right before X-mas, and just in time for the OTA digital transition. (hint) ;)

4. Oct 8, 2008 #4 of 23
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    How would that result in kick starting sales?

5. Oct 8, 2008 #5 of 23
    GuysInCT

GuysInCT TV addict

Apr 29, 2002
    Norwalk, CT

Advertisements

If they offered that, I would replace my bedroom S2 (the one with lifetime). That would be one extra sale they're not going to get right now otherwise.

6. Oct 8, 2008 #6 of 23
    ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    And they would lose money on those units. How does that help TiVo's shareholders?

7. Oct 8, 2008 #7 of 23
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Yes, but the market for that offer would be small. I can't see how that would improve sales very much.

8. Oct 9, 2008 #8 of 23
    samo

samo New Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Littleton,...
    Why stop at $149? They tried $0 on series 2 before and it didn't work. I think they should spend $100 mils they are getting from Dish on free HD TiVo with one year free sub promotion. That would push 0.5 mil TiVo's out of the door in a hurry and will bump TiVo subs numbers by 30%. :)
    Seriously, free or almost free stuff of dot.com era, "free money" from cashout mortgages worked wonders. This is why we are in a recession in a first place.
    No business should sell anything at loss. If you can't sell your product at profit after 10 years in business, mass market doesn't need it.

9. Oct 9, 2008 #9 of 23
    parzec

parzec Wizard of Oz

Jun 21, 2002
    Charlotte, NC

ANSWER: The only really effective marketing Tivo has had is word of mouth from satisfied customers. By allowing the lifetime transfer from older units, those long time customers will be able to showcase the latest features to their friends which will in turn entice them to purchase a HD-Tivo of their own. Currently, these customers are only demonstrating legacy technology from the 90's. Tivo would not characterize this expense as a loss of sales, but instead as marketing costs. Shareholders are helped by the resulting net increase of unit sales.

10. fallingwater

fallingwater New Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Bellingham WA
    Does an early-adapter TiVo Forum member still have as KUID the recording of Franklin D. Roosevelt on television in 1929 talking about what happened when the stock market crashed and what he was going to do about it? :eek:

11. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Pooooo.....How about a one-week window where you can purchase lifetime on any box for $99.

That's the ticket. Heck, they should give me LT for free. I've been month to month on at least one box since 2001. Oh well.

12. wedenton

wedenton Member

Jun 12, 2002
    I had it, but lost it when my Series 0 burned out a vacuum tube. I was visiting the 57th state at the time, and wasn't home to change it.:(

13. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    was he the one that said "a Chicken in every pot"? If so then the obvious answer is for the government to step in and promise "A TiVo in every house". How else will the 3rd party DVR market be saved.

14. dshinnick

dshinnick Member

Jun 6, 2003
    What I've never understood is how darned hard it is to convince people how great Tivo (or really any DVR) is! I've tried numerous times to get my neighbors into it; offered to bring one over and let them use it free for a month, talked about the wonderful features. Nothing. No interest. Like trying to get someone to switch religions. It just blows me away that folks still use a TV like they did 50 years ago. And the commercials! I watched Boston Legal last night and was just amazed at all the commercials; seemed like it was 30% or more of the hour. Of course I blazed through them...

As I reflect, though, it may be "good" if the Tivo/DVR user base doesn't grow. You know why? Because there is some point of critical mass where the advertisers will realize that their message isn't getting through, and they'll come up with some other form of advertising which we may not be able to avoid just by hitting the FF button. And that scares me, cause I really hate advertising, necessary though it may be. So, I've backed off pushing Tivo to my friends, because each person I "convert" moves us one notch closer to the critical mass point, and perhaps a new, unavoidable type of advertising. Perish the thought!!

dave

15. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Agreed. I kept trying to get my Dad to want a TiVo. His usual response is "there's not enough on and I usually fall asleep." Well, two good reasons for a TiVo. Go figure.

Anyways, I stopped trying. And guess what, now it looks like he might get a Comcast DVR. Probably only because it will be his idea and not mine.

Heaven help him.........

16. DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Indeed -- it's worse than the change store. They will increase losses with increased volume.

Companies will sell less. Some will be able to make it through, others not. That's what happens in a recession.

What it probably means for us, if anything, is less R&D and product improvements in the short run because of reduced revenue.

17. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    In a recession/depression like this, the best thing many companies (that sell luxury services, like TiVo) can do is hunker down, and ride it out. There is often nothing they can do to boost profits, so the actions they need to take mostly involve containing cost.

18. mec1991

mec1991 Cranky old coot

Nov 5, 2004
    Back home...
    TiVo is a luxury item? More like a basic necessity to me. :)

I could not imagine going back to watching tv the old way. Give me a smaller or cheaper display to watch it on, but no way I'm giving up my TiVo.

19. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I agree, but ironically part of my hunker down strategy is to use my TiVo DVRs and Netflix sub for my entertainment since they are a fixed budget item and give me a good bang for the buck as well.

20. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    If just that were the case generally. Sigh.