World Series of Poker - No Spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by LifeIsABeach, Jul 18, 2007.

1. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Don't know if this belongs here, in the Season Pass forum or in the General Chit Chat forum.

Warning: If you happen to watch poker do not go to msnbc.com (or perhaps any other news outlet today). The tournament ended this morning and I had it spoiled for me when I went to msnbc.com. They have the winner's name on their front page.

2. stujac

stujac Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Were you going to wait until it aired? That's quite a while from now. I checked as soon as I got up and it was still 2 handed. When I got to work the winner was announced. Smaller turnout this year. Last year, everybody at the final table made at least a million; this year you had to finish 5th to get over a million.

That's not spoiling, is it??

3. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    lol at trying to non-spoiler the WSOP ME champion before it airs weeks from now...

i watched the final table live, some really bad, really slow poker with no concept of deep stack play at all. and what's with the constant god references and photo kissing, man, what over the top theatrics...

they should have a 15 second decision clock with a 60 second time bank, just like online :)

4. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    An aquaintance of mine is playing this year. I played with him and a few others in a cash game last year and came in first. This was my first cash game playing with people who play in cash games all the time. I wish him luck, of course. He has a good chance of making it for at least a few rounds.

5. stujac

stujac Member

Jan 26, 2002
    I don't know-15 seconds is a very short time to make a decision that could be worth millions. I favor a 2 minute time limit but only when a player in the hand calls for it. Not sure if you've played tournaments but 15 seconds..jeez-I'm just figuring the pot odds at 15 seconds. I need more to study his chip count and mine, position, outs, etc.

6. JPinAZ

JPinAZ Dead money

Jun 26, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's mainly because they changed the payout structure. They basically took a chunk out of the 1-4 payouts & spread it over the 5-600 (or whatever place the money started). Here's a short blog entry showing what some of the 2006 numbers would have been with the 2007 structure.

http://www.gambling-weblog.com/50226711/wsop_flattens_payout_structure_for_all_events.php

Don't worry, no spoilers.

7. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    I think it was the final table plus 1 or 2 more millionaires last year. Part of the reason for that was also a flatter payout. They started at $20,320 this year, compared to $10,616 last year, for the first players in the money. So even with the same number of players, there would have been less money for the champion and the rest of the final table. (my numbers might be off slightly.)

8. pjenkins

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    i was kinda joking, 15 seconds live isn't long enough obviously. however, the minutes upon minutes to make simple decisions, especially pre-flop, needs to be limited to keep the game flowing. i think after 4 hours with <6 left they said they had played 100 hands. 25 hands/hour with <6 players is redonkulously long...

9. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I don't think that's overly long. It's just over 2 minutes per hand. If you figure that maybe 8 of those hands were played to the flop and took closer to 4 minutes each, that leaves only 28 minutes for the remaining 17 hands, which is less than 2 minutes each. Pretty reasonable if you ask me.

10. pjenkins

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    too used to playing online obviously, i need quick action :)

watching live does make you appreciate poker on TV though, seeing someone take 2 minutes to make a pre-flop fold in the blinds when he is raised is nothing short of the most boring thing to watch ever... :)

11. goblue97

goblue97 Welcome Home, Jimmy!

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    live tv? on a TiVo forum? Just out of curiosity, can you TiVo it or does the PPV thing prevent that?

12. pjenkins

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    i was watching the free live internet feed last night...

also, to me, it's very difficult to watch live poker any faster when replayed on the Tivo to me, you don't know when the important decisions are made and so do a lot of rewinding/fast fowarding and it takes away from the viewing. i'd rather Tivo the ESPN FT coverage and watch that w/out commercial than watching it live as I did last night (too bad they can't make that FT coverage the next night :))

13. goblue97

goblue97 Welcome Home, Jimmy!

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    I forgot the smiley. I just thought any mention of live TV deserved the obligatory comment about it.

14. pjenkins

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    oh, duh :)

15. teknikel

teknikel Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Baltimore
    I found it easy to fast forward through a lot of the useless talk (Johnny Chan Juice) and get to when someone first enters the pot.

Made it go a lot faster.

16. MitchO

MitchO Blasphemer: Uses DVR

Nov 7, 2003
    Lyndhurst NJ
    I don't understand what's so funny about trying to avoid info until it's aired. This will be the third year now that I've done that.

I know to avoid ESPN.com for two days and all news sites for today. I found out some non ME or the occasional who didn't win type info, but for the most part, I've managed to succeed. It seems to me that it's a lot less interesting to watch it on TV if you know who wins.

17. logic88

logic88 Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Land Of...
    So how do they parse out chips in the WSOP? I checked a chip count blog last night and noticed that the total amount in play was something like $127,000,000. With only 6358 entries, does this mean they gave 2X the buy-in?

18. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas

It seems that is the case this year. All participants got 20K in chips instead of 10K. There was an aticle abotu this in USA Today and the ymentioned last year about how there were some issues that were attributed to rounding errors when they colored up to remove low valued chips after certain rounds.

19. JETarpon

JETarpon Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2003
    If they are attributing last year's problems to rounding errors, they are glossing over how bad the chip issues really were.

http://www.pokernews.com/news/2006/9/two-million-questions-one.htm
    http://www.pokernews.com/news/2006/9/two-million-questions-two.htm

20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You guys who want speed poker watched the Poker Dome on Fox Sports Net, right?
    (I thought it was just ok, though I saw the vast majority of them. I still have a bunch of WPTs that I haven't watched and actually have not recorded the last several weeks' because of disk space issues.)