Working S2 dial in number needed

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ParanoidDarkJedi, Apr 13, 2017.

1. ParanoidDarkJedi

ParanoidDarkJedi *Insert Witty Title*

Sep 3, 2005
    Chester, VA
    Hi all,

Hoping someone can assist. My elderly uncle has an old lifetime S2 unit I got for him to use w/ his satellite service. Everything has worked fine for years, but this week, the dial in number we set up stopped working, and all other numbers we've tried in any area code so far have also not worked.

He lives a couple of hours away, so I have been trying to troubleshoot by phone. I have confirmed no issues with the phone line, and the modem will successfully connect to download new phone number lists. This makes me think that the specific numbers we've chosen to try are no longer supported to connect to the service vs a hardware issue.

Anyone with a working S2 that could provide the # you are using? Long distance dialing isn't an issue for my uncle's phone plan, so I will take anything that is confirmed to still function to get him back up and running!

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    There is an alternative to use the Tivo Wireless G adapter and a hotspot from a cell phone, or from freedompop.com (free 500MB monthly internet)

Dial-in numbers are becoming extinct as more are using internet connected devices.

3. ParanoidDarkJedi

Sep 3, 2005
    Chester, VA
    The internet is not an option in this scenario, unfortunately. Since there are S2 users out there, I'm sure that the collective wisdom of the forum can help.

4. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Explain why internet isn't an option as dial-in numbers call in to the internet connection, albeit much slower.

As noted earlier, freedompop is free internet with monthly 500 MB usage, all you need to pay for is the hotspot device.

5. slycat_7

slycat_7 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    I'm in the same boat as your uncle. Everyone loves the wireless routers. I am not Amish. We have 4 cell phones, fios internet, tivo etc.

But I don't use Wi-Fi at all. Don't like it, don't need it, don't want it for anything. Maybe I am paranoid, but I don't want a rf source strong enough to reach my whole house right next to me blasting all of my cells.

I don't want the "convenience" of a small tablet when I can see it faster and larger on my desktop monitor.

We just want to be able to dial in with our crappy 28.8 kbps modems and get our guide info with our Lifetime subscription on our crappy old Series 2 Tivos.

And by the way, thanks for taking away the season and episode numbers fields. It makes it so fun to try to figure out what order to watch our shows in.

Spoiler Alert: there Will be spoilers when you have no idea what order to watch these shows in. Hooray!

So I would have to buy a stupid linksys wireless dongle and enable wifi on my router all of which I don't want.

OP's question is the same one I'm asking: Got any Working Dial-up service guide phone numbers?

It can be anywhere in the lower 48 states as we have unlimited long distance.

I think Tivo could afford to leave three or four dial up servers open for us old Luddites somewhere in the US.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  6. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    try 1-212-277-3895

I found it mentioned as an example of "a TiVo local number in New York City that apparently seems to work when others will not. " I dialed it and it appears to be a dialup access point.

ParanoidDarkJedi and Mikeguy like this.
  7. slycat_7

slycat_7 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Thanks for the helpful reply pdhenry. I may try that number next time I have one of these episodes.

Ya so I have had this problem for about 2 weeks where my normal number stopped working and it would say Dialing . . . connecting. . . then it would say either "service not answering" or "could not connect". I tried a bunch of different numbers and it takes like 11 minutes each time. It is Super Boring and Depressing to go through 15 or 20 #s and no success.

First: Possible physical reason it is acting funky----> Dust can make the delicate electronics in there not work reliably or correctly.

So This is what I did. First I took off the cover of the Series 2 and blew it out with Tech Duster (canned air or if you have a compressor) Do not touch anything, especially near the power supply because the Capacitors can still Shock you even when unit is unplugged !!! I use rubber dishwashing gloves and some goggles when doing this.

**YOU MUST IMMOBILIZE THE FAN SO IT DOES NOT SPIN**BECAUSE IT WILL GENERATE ELECTRICITY AND BURN ITSELF OUT THAT WAY** Learned that one the hard way a few years ago. A popsicle stick or something else nonconductive gently placed through the grill and fan blades can stop it from turning during the blowing process.

Next: The software is possibly screwed up or possibly the guys at Tivo changed something at the Dial-Up number I was using.

I re-did Guided Setup. Its a B%tch. And then It (Guided Setup) would not connect either and I was stuck in That loop for awhile. Here is the trick to get out of that. I had been using *70 in the field called "Prefix to Dial Out" or whatever (this deactivates Call Waiting during the Guide service calls). Since its the middle of the night I deleted that and put in a number from two towns over from me that I hoped was good. That number was { [610 482 4029] } This is a Different number from the one I had been using continuously with no problem for the last year.

When you put a number into that Prefix field it fools the machine into calling That number instead of the (in my case Wrong) number it wants to use. And when you do this it doesn't matter what the number in the "regular" dial up field is because it occurs after the call is already in process with the first (Prefix) number. Also I set the "Check if Phone is in Use" and "Check for Dial Tone" fields both to "No".

So after that it hooked up to its initial Guided Setup call and that completed without a problem. Then a little while later, without me changing anything, it called again and got the "TV Guide" info that it hadn't had for 2 weeks. I really don't know which of these things contributed to the successful outcome, But I do know that about every year and a half I have to have one of these battles.

I hope this helps someone.

Peace is the word.

ParanoidDarkJedi likes this.
  8. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    So why not use a wired USB adapter? Hopefully you could still pick up one on eBay.

https://support.tivo.com/articles/FAQ/TiVo-Compatible-Network-Adapters-FAQ

And since you have cell phones, not sure I understand the difference between being blasted by those (right next to your head ;) ) versus a wifi source.

Scott

9. slycat_7

slycat_7 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    I use an isolated Plantronics headset or speakerphone, never hold it up to my head.
    Also, my Aunt used to use a cell phone all the time and she developed Brain Cancer on the left side of her head, exactly in the spot where she always held her cell phone to her head. Also I don't ever keep the stupid "smart" phone in my pocket or next to my body.
    Also, when I am at home the cell is off.
    Contrast that with having a wi-fi blasting you from under your desk or wherever 24 hours a day at home, at work, at the store, at your friends, everywhere.
    I know the people (corporations, same exact thing, right?) who sell these products have you believing that its harmless and that kids should be able to sleep with their iPads and smart phones, but I for one do not believe they have our best interests at heart.
    I think if it makes them a dollar, your long term health is something they will gladly sacrifice.
    Especially if the cancer you eventually get cannot be traced back to them.
    Ask yourself why is Cancer up like 3000% in the last 20 years?
    Could it be partially because we are bathed in high power rf radiation everywhere we go?

The wired USB adapter is the way I would have gone if I hadn't been able to get the dial up working again.
    And you can get high quality Flat ethernet cable on eBay that you can run under the rug straight from the router to the Tivo.
    I think I saw some last night that was $8 for 30 feet.
    Cheaper, faster, almost no rf radiation.

10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I do wonder: would TiVo telephone support have a phone number to give you?

11. slycat_7

slycat_7 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    There are like 20 dial-up numbers in your state listed in the software. I can go down that list with a dusty Tivo and have none of them work.

We have 2 cats so cat hair too. So then I immediately think "those Tivo guys are trying to force me to network it to the internet. Grumble grumble."

Then I clean the whole thing with compressed air, [ Especially the port in the back where the phone cord jack plugs in ] I also clean the contacts on the jack with a Q-tip soaked in isopropyl alcohol then blow that off too.

Then I go down that same list again and at least 1 or 2 Will connect properly and get the info.

I go through this every year or two.

I think a lot of people are having problems due to noise or static in the modem's communication process caused by common household dirt and dust.

When the dust is gone the problem goes away in many cases.

Also if 1) cleaning, 2) trying all the #s in your area (including the 2 "known good" #s in this thread), 3) Redoing Guided Setup, does not fix it, then I would start thinking its either A)the hard drive is corrupt or B) the modem is faulty.

Then you can try to diagnose it using some Kickstart codes.

TiVo Kickstart Codes and Information - Weaknees https://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

12. jkeese01

jkeese01 New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Florida
    My S3 worked by entering area code (888). It also did not find any local numbers in (864) after re-running Guided Setup.

13. ParanoidDarkJedi

Sep 3, 2005
    Chester, VA
    Thanks all for the info. Got 'em back up and running!

While I completely understand that time marches on and the older tech will get less and less supported, would it be so difficult to have one 800 # that all users could use? Seems much more efficient than the hit & miss local # model, not to mention more customer friendly. Reduction of failure points is a good thing...

14. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The issue with a Toll free number is cost and if you were to look in System Information, find "TFA", most likely it would say "TFA=0" which means "Toll Free Authorization = No."

15. jkeese01

jkeese01 New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Florida
    What did you do to get things back up?

I'm concerned this (888) solution will be temporary.

Called TiVo support and told them the situation about using (888) because the Series 3 was now giving the error that it could not find a valid local number with my area code. Support responded that "Your TiVo is not supported for dial up, connect using a network". LOL. I told them that it was working with dialup using (888), just not with my area code. She then replied keep using the (888).​

16. jkeese01

jkeese01 New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Florida
    Here are some dial-up numbers I just received from TiVo Support for area code (864). They were slow getting back to me, but now great support helping with this issue.

(864) 222-3765 Anderson
    (864) 839-1780 Blacksburg
    (864) 624-9895 Clemson
    (864) 232-4758 Greenville
    (864) 882-4465 Seneca
    (864) 582-1955 Spartanburg