1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working Details of "Going Away Soon" & Space Needed Deletes

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by BH9244, May 14, 2018.

1. BH9244

BH9244 Member

Feb 10, 2009
    I had posted some time ago hoping someone could enlighten me on the functional details as to how space needed deletes operate but unfortunately didn't get any useful info so I'm hoping I'll have better luck this time. Although I appreciated prior replies that suggested installing a larger capacity drive or setting the SP's to Keep Until delete, it doesn't answer my core question which is trying to have a fuller understanding of how this function operates.

In particular I have often had multiple recordings unintentially deleted following the transfer of a previously transferred recording back onto the Tivo.

Here is a specific example of what troubles me.

This afternoon I had about 100GB of free space on my 3TB Tivo Drive, the Going Away Soon list indicated that there would be recordings deleted tomorrow if needed, so I felt safe that I could transfer a recording of approx. 6GB from a external drive onto the Tivo for viewing without fear of other recording being deleted, when I initiated the transfer I got a warning message indicating that several recordings would be deleted earlier than previously scheduled but the earliest would take place on Thurs. After transferring the recording I find that about a dozen recording had summarily been deleted with the history indicating "Space Needed" yet the Free Space on the drive increased from about 80 GB to 110 GB, I would have expected that the system would utilizing existing free space before deleting recording that that clearly is not the case, I can recall similar things happening whilst I still had 300 or 400 GB free.

If anyone can shine some light on the subject I'd certainly be appreciative..

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Try not using the green "Keep Until I Delete" so much. If you had everything set to that, Tivo will stop recording until there is room for more. This will also delete the yellow dot marked shows delete sooner when the Recently Deleted folder is empty, and follow by suggestions (if turned on).

You should try and not fill up the drive as much. Shows that are not copy protected can be transferred to a computer if you want to keep them.

Tivo is not really meant as a long term storage for the shows. Eventually it will get deleted and may not be recoverable.

Best is to transfer the shows to a computer (programs like KMTTG, PyTivo) will transfer over, but to get them back, PyTivo is what to use. KMTTG is download only, but has many more features that are useful.

3. BH9244

BH9244 Member

Feb 10, 2009

Thanks for the reply but again, I am well aware of those options and utilize them, what I'm interested in is some background as to how that function operates so I can adjust appropriately.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    When the Tivo is about to record, it may "Over" delete for space needed, first clearing the Recently Deleted, then suggestions, followed by the oldest shows with yellow dots (with and without !)

BH9244 likes this.
  5. BH9244

BH9244 Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Yes this makes sense, I don't have suggestions turned on, can't understand why it doesn't appear to utilize existing free space first, thinking maybe it only does above a certain threshold, ie if there were say 350GB free space it would utilize the portion over 300 first .

6. ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    I have had PyTiVo incorrectly OVER delete so many times that I stopped transferring shows back PC-to-TiVo and exclusively use Streambaby to watch offloaded recordings. It's a longstanding known bug in PyTiVo (and thus also PyTivoDesktop).

I use KUID for everything that I must watch -> GREEN = SAFE. Once viewed, I switch it to 'Space Needed' which goes to Blue to Yellow to finally Yellow! I have a Roamio w/ 500GB HDD that goes from 70% to 100%, Suggestions OFF. I have my overflow on 3TB USB Ext. HDDs and am in the process of moving it to a NAS running Plex (i.e. new shows go to NAS; old shows get deleted from USB HDD as they're watched).

7. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    What are you using to transfer shows back to the TiVo (versions including version of ffmpeg if in use)?

This has been reported before by others as well. At least one person reported that their issue was related to using a newer version of ffmpeg and reverting to an older version resolved the issue for them. I use pyTivo but I also make sure that all my content is standard MPEG2 so it isn't transcoded and haven't seen any issues here.

Scott

8. BH9244

BH9244 Member

Feb 10, 2009

Using PyTivo

9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm not trying to hijack this thread, and this subject has been a problem for others in the past. I would like to add something I have seen since my first day using a TiVo.

There are two ways to look at My Shows. From the TiVo or from a PC using one of the great programs like pyTiVo and kmttg. Part of the confusion results from one thing using one set of rules and the other thing using its set of rules. I recorded Timeless on Sunday. I just checked and it has a Keep Until date of 5/15 (today). In My Shows it has a nice blue dot. With TiVo Desktop (TD) it has a yellow dot with an exclamation point. The same program, but different opinions. The 1P for Timeless was Keep At Most: All. That option stops the yellow dot in My Shows. The default is 25. Also, I know my disk in not physically full.

This difference in space reclamation rules may have some influence with unexplained program deletion. Sorry for the interruption.

BH9244 likes this.
  10. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    What version and perhaps more importantly what version of ffmpeg? Also what format was the show that you uploaded (did it have to be transcoded)?

Scott

11. BH9244

BH9244 Member

Feb 10, 2009
    PyTivo V 2.7.13, Not using ffmpeg unless that is part of PyTivo ?, native TiVo recording format.