Work Of Art :The Next Great Artist S02E01 OAD 10/13/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tiams, Oct 14, 2011.

1. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Anyone else watch this? It is on Bravo and produced by Sarah Jessica Paker.

I watched last season and enjoyed it. This season seems to have some real characters. I was hoping the first to go would be the woman who makes things that look like organs and innards. I really don't want to look at her stuff.

I was intrigued by the guy whose self portrait was a photograph of himself naked in a hospital room with his dying parents.

The guy demands to be called Sucklord? He can go anytime.

The black guy's piece was just bad. He glued play money on, added a black woman's face and said it was some deep racial comment???

I look forward to seeing what the very un-cosmopolitan teacher does. I liked his redone clown painting.

From the previews of upcoming episodes (I won't spoil it) it looks like this season will be enjoyable.

2. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    We liked last season as well and our SP picked it up.

I was hoping Sucklord (why would you choose suck?) would go too. I think they picked the wrong guy to go. Even though he's clearly a Keith Harring wannabe, his was not the worst.

I was pretty surprised how good the girl who had trouble in the beginning, came out in the end.

3. calitivo

calitivo Active Member

Dec 5, 2002
    I caught the first season on demand after the fact and was really impressed with the talent, but not who they chose to win it. I like that the show is mostly about the art and not drama between contestants/artists. The crayon self portrait the teacher did in the opening was impressive. Rooting for him.

4. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Did anybody watch this all the way through? I just watched the season finale and though I thought all three did a good job I was disappointed that the person who went out third didn't place higher. Those works were really striking and told an interesting story.

5. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I've only seen up to the episode where they found people in the small town to be subjects of portraits. I think it is the penultimate episode.

6. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    This season was as good as the first. And the first wasn't that great.

I was surprised by the episode of the woman who photographed herself completely nude and they barely blurred it.

7. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    The ridiculous part of that episode was they they were careful to blur her "naughty bits" when she was taking the photo -- even blurring her reflection -- but then showed the print (even the life-sized print) without blurring. :confused: C'mon -- it's a little cable show about ART! Forget about the blurring in the first place!

8. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I've now seen 'em all, and I agree. The final two shoulda' been between #3 and #1, and I would've been good with either outcome.

Simon de Pury clearly had a strong influence on the artists' choices for their final gallery works.

China Chow is so gorgeous that she can look great even when they dress her up like a plum. What was up with that crazy outfit -- the plastic purple cap/beret/fascinator she had attached to her head, as well as that purple balloon dress?

9. tivotvaddict

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    You know, for me, it's almost "The Little Show that Could." I start out thinking it kind of stinks, the artists aren't that good, and then by the end I am blown away by the final showings. Abdi's "baptismal" work in the first season was breathtaking (I'm not suprrised it sold for $20K) and a couple of the pieces in the finale this season were also that way.

too true about the nudity hypocrisy.

10. tivotvaddict

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Simon has *REALLY* grown on me! The first couple of episodes of this series it seemed as though they got the person with the largest amount of pretension, but he is a true mentor right up there with Tim Gunn. (Project Accessory, take notes).

LOL - a plum! I though it was an acorn hat! :)

11. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I enjoyed the first season better. The winner was fantastic but the first season had more cry babies and other irritating people so it was more fun to see them leave.

12. swinca

swinca Menace to society

Jun 19, 2003
    Jaw-ja y'all
    I watched all of the shows and I was hoping Sara J would win. She did very well embracing new materials and showed a lot of growth as an artist. I was really impressed by the birdcage piece and the bed of needles. I would have been happy with Young winning too. I was disappointed by the actual winner. I'm sure we'll hear from all of them again.

13. dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
    lol - we thought she looked like a blueberry!

Out of all of them...
    I liked Young the best out of all of them. Was disappointed he wasn't in the finals.

14. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Why are you all posting spoilers in the episode ONE thread? If you wanted to talk about the finale you should have created a thread for that episode.

15. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    ??? Do you consider it a spoiler to say that China Chow wore something odd but still looked great? ??? I thought we remained vague about the winner and finalists.

16. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    This is a thread for the first episode only. There are also threads for other episodes. What would have been so hard about creating a thread for the finale?

There have been spoilers posted in this thread about the finalists and the winner.

17. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Fair enough. Personally, I didn't seek out other threads for this show, as it seemed to be sparsely watched on this Forum. So when a recent thread resurrected this show's thread to the forefront, I jumped in to the discussion of the last two episodes of the Season.

18. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    oops, I thought this was an all season thread. I applogize if I posted any spoilers.