Won't let me self install, little credit

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ronpp, Jan 17, 2006.

1. ronpp

ronpp Member

Aug 20, 2004
    Virginia...
    Called retention today to inquire about upgrading to the HD tivo, as per several threads lately on the varying deals. $549 without antenna, $599 with, $200 instant rebate, free HD for 6 months, free Showtime for 6 months, no other credit. Suggested nicely that this is not the same deal as "other neighbors" and no budge. I requested to have the unit sent to me and he said he couldn't do that, it must be sent to an installer to install, a liability issue. Couple of questions:

1. Fair deal? Not looking to nickle and dime, but if fair, then OK.
    2. What type of antenna do they supply? Dish points in the opposite direction of my local stations, so it cannot be mounted on or with the dish.
    3. What is with the no self install routine and liability, is this true?

Thanks.

2. Dssturbo1

Dssturbo1 New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    you can buy one from best buy, circuit city, solid signal, value electronics or even off ebay and still get the $200 rebate. then call in and when activated they will usually give you the program/service credits as well. they usually supply a winegard ota antennea and it works ok if you have decent line of sight and distance to local ota broadcast towers. if needed you get the phase 3 lnb dish (and a multiswitch if more than 4 outputs are needed) which you only get free if supplied and installed through dtv.

3. ronpp

ronpp Member

Aug 20, 2004
    Virginia...
    Oh....need a new dish then if I have the dual lnb oval, 4 lines out to a terk switch divided out into 5 wires (2 tivo's, 1 single)? Then I should have it dtv installed.

4. Jack Stoddard

Jack Stoddard New Member

Sep 16, 2005
    The HD Tivo requires two seperate dishes to operate. That way you can watch one program while recording another. And yes the price seems fair.

5. maharg18

maharg18 Active Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Chattanooga, TN
    You don't need 2 dishes, just 2 feeds from a single dish.

6. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    If I understand this right you currently have an oval dish with 2 LNB's? If so, you have a PHASe II dish. You can add a third ("B") LNB and then receive HD programming. Many times, though, the cost is almost the same as replacing with the newer PHASE III dish. Maybe D* will provide and install it for free or nominal cost.

7. Dssturbo1

Dssturbo1 New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    if you have the older oval with two lnb then you could add the Sat C lnb not the sat b, the center lnb but it is different than the standard lnb. DTV may send it to you free if you sign up for the hd package.

probably just easier to have them do the install they will probably replace the old dish with the phase 3 and give you a new cascadable multiswitch also since you need 5 lines. Just make sure they note that when you order so they can pass that info to the installer so there is a better chance he will come with all the right equipment instead of making excuses/multiple trips and your time wasted.

8. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    WHOOPS!

9. EMoMoney

EMoMoney Big and Tall

Oct 30, 2001
    Abingdon,...
    I've got some oceanfront property in Kansas I'd like to sell ya.

10. ronpp

ronpp Member

Aug 20, 2004
    Virginia...
    Great points, thanks for the advice on the dish. I do have the phase II and I will make sure the dish exchange is a part of the deal.

Go Chiefs! <next year hopefully>