1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wonky Tivo Desktop Plus Fixed (knock on wood)

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Scott9mm, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    After months of normal operation on my Win 7-64 PC, TiVo Desktop 2.8.3 started weird behavior about the time Win 10 installed itself and I uninstalled it. The main symptoms were: TiVo tray icon randomly disappeared, TiVo Desktop randomly locked up (required Task Manager to shut it down), automatic downloads were unreliable, and TiVo portable conversions randomly quit part way through. A normal reinstall or "control-panel/uninstall/repair" restored normal operation, but only for minutes or a few hours.

There may have been other factors (like many MS updates) but the fix appears to be in following these instructions from TiVo. The main trick seemed to be running both the Cleaner Utility program and the new Desktop Installer as administrator (i.e. Run as Administrator). Previous installs from an administrator account (but not run as administrator) never did the trick.

The other thing is that I had trouble linking to my TiVo account. Being actually logged into my TiVo account (while trying to link) seemed to help. I saw an article that said to use all caps for username part of the email address but I don't know of that worked or not; I lost track of all the upper/lower case permutations I tried.

Mikeguy likes this.
  2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
  3. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    Dan,
    The short answer is I have not tried pytivo. I did mess with a couple of the other options but had little motivation to switch (when Desktop was working) because Desktop was simple and required minimal effort on my part.
    I posted my Desktop experience in hopes of helping others because the problem was so annoying and the fix was so simple.
    In fairness, I need to give pytivo a look, especially since Rovi/TiVio Inc. seems to be going down a different road these days.
    In the meantime, I record stuff I might want to watch (someday), transcode to mp4 VGA, and store on a Synology server. I can move those videos back to my tivo or just live-stream to DLNA/uPNP device, like Roku.

Mikeguy likes this.
  4. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    My version of pyTivo is different. I've compiled all the pyTivo code into standard executables so you do not need to have python installed on your machine and I've added a custom UI that makes it simpler to use. You should give it a look.

5. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    Dan, Your PyTivo is indeed different; installation is simple, just like TiVo Desktop. I did have to open one firewall port during the install; no surprise there.

BUT, after installation, your PyTivo it could not find my TiVo boxes (one Premiere and one Roamio+). This may be a bonjour issue. I'm using the TiVo beacon because (I think) my router configuration is blocking bonjour. I did have bonjour working on a previous router by making some non-intuitive configuration changes (I think it was blocking multicast that allowed bonjour to work). But I'm just using the beacon now to avoid a lot of trial-and-error router configuring.

6. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Bonjur is called zeroconf in pyTivo. There is an option in the settings dialog to turn it off. Try disabling it and see if that helps.

7. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    Tried that and tried checking the listen block as well as typing in one of the TiVo IP addresses. Still no TiVos found. Maybe it's a firewall or port thing?

8. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Maybe. Try this... Exit out of pyTivo completely. Go to the task manager and make sure it's completely gone. Now go to the install folder and double click on pyTivo.exe. That will launch the main pyTivo process in a command window with output. One of the first few lines it will say "Scanning for Tivos....". After that it will either print the names of your TiVos or it will time out after 30 seconds. If it times out then there is either a firewall issue or some sort of conflict.

Once you're done hit Ctrl+C on your keyboard to kill the pyTivo process. It you accidentally leave it running you'll need to kill it in the task manager or it will conflict with future attempts.

9. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    OK. I tried the reinstall as described and got a pop-up message (over gray TiViDesktop window): Error conecting to pyTivo!, Verify pyTivo is running and retry". Seeing this, I recall I got that message last time too. The task manager shows two instances of pyTivo, three instances of pyTivoDesktop, and two instances of pyTivoTray. There is a retry button and when I hit it the pop-up went away leaving the pyTivoDesktop window which says "No TiVos found." The process list didn't change.

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That error means that it's not even finding pyTivo. Did you change the port pyTivo is linked to? If you do you have to launch desktop from the tray icon, as that sends in the alternate port. The icon in start won't work unless you leave the port at the default 9032

There will always be two copies of pytivo.exe and pyTivotray.exe running. That's a side effect of the way I package the python code into an exe. Desktop will usually only show one though along with an app called electron that will have the same logo.

One thing you might try is stopping the TiVo Desktop stuff. It might be causing port conflicts with pyTivo.

11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Also just to be sure disable your firewall completely while testing so we can eliminate that as the problem.

12. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    If I close the initial pyTivoDesktop window (with the error connecting to pyTiVo message) I can open the pyTivoDesktop window from the icon tray and that seems to work fine except it doesn't find any TiVos. I did not change the port number but I think I tried all zeroconf/beacon-listen options with the same result. I killed all TiVo Desktop processes and tried again with the same result (no Tivos found). I disabled the Window firewall but got the same result. This isn't urgent for me but I'll gladly try other possible fixes, just not tonight. Thanks.

13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Do you have any of the TiVo Desktop server stuff running?

14. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    I don't think so. I killed all "TiVo" processes with Task Manager before latest pyTivo startup attempts.

15. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I think we had a miscommunication. When I said to run pyTivo.exe from the install directory I meant to go to the folder where pyTivo installs to. In most cases it's C:\Program Files (x86)\pyTivo. In that folder there will be a pyTivo.exe. Double click that and i should bring up a black console window where it'll show info about pyTivo starting up. That's where you'll see the "Searching for TiVos..." message. Can you tell me if it seems to hang at that point and if it ever prints the names of your TiVos after it?

16. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    Good catch. Previously, I screwed up and ran it from installation folder, not install directory. My TiVos are at IP 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.12. When I did it as you intended, the text from the console window is pasted below. Then, I disabled startup for the four TiVo Desktop processes using msconfig, rebooted. and again started pyTivo from the install directory but I got the same errors as below. Maybe I missed disabling some TiVo Desktop process?

Code:
    INFO:pyTivo:Last modified: Mon Apr 24 16:46:52 2017
    INFO:pyTivo:python: 2.7.13
    INFO:pyTivo:System: Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
    INFO:pyTivo.beacon:Scanning for TiVos...
    INFO:pyTivo.beacon:Announcing shares...
    INFO:pyTivo.beacon:Registering: My TiVo Recordings
    INFO:pyTivo:pyTivo is ready.
    Unhandled exception in thread started by <function server at 0x02FCD4F0>
    ERROR:pyTivo:Exception in pyTivo
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "beacon.py", line 206, in server
      File "socket.py", line 228, in meth
    error: [Errno 10048] Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network add
    ress/port) is normally permitted
    INFO:pyTivo:192.168.1.12 [26/Apr/2017 10:57:45] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryC
    ontainer&Container=My%20TiVo%20Recordings&ItemCount=0&SerialNum=7460021902FADF0
    HTTP/1.1" 200 -
    INFO:pyTivo:192.168.1.10 [26/Apr/2017 10:57:46] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryC
    ontainer&Container=My%20TiVo%20Recordings&ItemCount=0&SerialNum=8480001902047F6
    HTTP/1.1" 200 -

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  17. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Did you not stop the running pyTivo or do you have TiVo Desktop running? One of the error messages indicates it's trying to use a port that is already in use by another process.

18. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    The first time I killed all (I think) TiVo Desktop processes using the Task Manager (did I miss something?). The second tine I disabled startup of TiVo Transfer, Server, and Notify plus Transcoding using MSCONFIG and rebooted with the same result. Also, I killed the firewall the first time but that didn't seem to be a factor.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  19. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Those emoji's liven up your paste-ins but if you would like to eliminate them mark the text as code. :mask:

20. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada