Wonderfalls or Arrested Development...

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by sakura panda, Jan 26, 2006.

1. sakura panda

sakura panda Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SE Michigan
    ...or neither? :D

I'm getting ready to order Firefly, and it looks like I can get an extra $10 off if I order another box set....looking at their selections, the only two I am considering are Wonderfalls (never seen) and Arrested Development (have seen). (If I don't buy either set, then I save an additional $14. :rolleyes: )

I did a search for Wonderfalls, and found a bunch of "I can't believe this show was cancelled" posts, but I couldn't figure out whether or not this would be a show that I want to watch. It does not seem to be as universally revered as Firefly. :p

As much as I like Arrested Development, I have never rewatched an episode, although I think I might rewatch a DVD. Do the episodes play all at once or do you return to the menu at the end of each one? That could be a deciding factor. :)

Thanks!

--Katie

2. anom

anom Enlightened

Apr 18, 2005
    You can play them all at once (well, all the episodes on each individual disc, anyway).

To answer your question, I like each of these shows even better than Firefly, and I like Firefly alot. You can't go wrong with either.

Actually, I suppose that doesn't answer your question at all, does it?

3. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    On this forum, you are going to get a LOT of arrested devlp fans :)

I never watched wonderfalls, so i vote for arrested

4. SparkleMotion

SparkleMotion New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Alive at...
    Both are awesome. Both should be in your collection.

Don't let rewatching be a consideration. At least in my case, I've found rewatches sometimes occur entirely out of the blue 1 or 2 years later. And there's what I want to see, at my fingertips ready to play. That's the beauty of affordable media archiving.

5. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Definitely Arrested Development. I saw the first couple of eps of Wonderfalls and was only mildly impressed. AD, on the other hand, is one of the most inventive, creative comedies in history. It screams to be rewatched over and over in order to catch all the imbedded jokes. No question in my mind.

6. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    I believe Wonderfalls is shown on LOGO. Check it out and see what you think.

7. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I'd get Wonderfalls.

There's 3 seasons of Arrested Development to watch, and it's technically not canceled yet so there may be more. You'd feel obligated to watch everything if you liked it.

8. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I love Wonderfalls but you could just Tivo them and save yourself the money.

9. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    If you can't get Wonderfalls on TV, that's the one I'd go for since it's a complete series. It's a great series...a lot of fun. Arrested you would probably want to see all the seasons and that's going to cost you more than the savings with the coupon ;)

10. rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    I enjoyed Wonderfalls alot! But like said above its on LOGO now, so tivo a few eps to check it out. Its not for everyone.

AD is also not for everyone. I myself dislike it and wish I didnt because it seems like a real fun show.

11. Spire

Spire Fallen

Jun 6, 2001
    Everywhere...
    Arrested Development, definitely. Wonderfalls is decent, but hugely overrated.

12. bentleyml

bentleyml Unregistered User

May 21, 2003
    Moore...
    I can re-watch Arrested Development a lot, but I'm not sure I would re-watch Wonderfalls. So my vote would go to Arrested Development.

13. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    We LOVED Winderfalls even more after watching the DVD. The characters really grew on you. We were left wanting MORE at the end of the set. This is a great series to watch may eps at once.

BIH Fox!

PS> We also have the AD seasons 1 & 2 on DVD. We love these as well, but in a different way. There is a little more dimension/depth to Wonderfalls.

14. sakura panda

Apr 6, 2004
    SE Michigan
    I [have watched / am watching] Arrested Development and I really like it; but if Wonderfalls is half as good as the dozen people here say it is, then maybe that would be worth the risk. :D

That's why there isn't a poll -- I'm hoping to be convinced rather than going with the majority vote.

--Katie

15. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    I was heartbroken when Wonderfalls was cancelled. I agree with most of the country, as opposed to those on this forum, who think AD was pretty pedestrian. Of course, I think The Office is extremely unfunny also. So take my advice with a grain of salt.

16. sakura panda

Apr 6, 2004
    SE Michigan
    It sounds good in theory, but I tried that with Firefly, and I didn't get all of them, and then I needed the TiVo space for shows that aren't available for cheap on DVD. :D

I am buying Firefly -- I can save $10 on a second box, which means whichever I chose will only be an extra $14. Or, I could save $14 and not get either. :rolleyes:

--Katie

17. BriGuy20

BriGuy20 New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Vienna, VA
    I think AD benefits GREATLY from multiple viewings. There's so many great jokes you may miss the first time around. I.E., if you didn't laugh at Lindsey "exercising," then you weren't paying close enough attention. :)

18. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Obviously your personal tastes could make a difference, too...

Wonderfalls is a one-hour drama; Arrested Development is a 30-minute sitcom.

19. BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I enjoyed them both. Wonderfalls was a wonderfully quirky show. Since you haven't seen it, I would say get it. I have seen AR pretty cheap on Black Friday (that's how I got it) but not WF (which I bought the day it was released). Firefly is a great choice as well.

20. sakura panda

Apr 6, 2004
    SE Michigan
    Thanks for all the advice. :D I've decided to go ahead and order Wonderfalls when I order Firefly and take advantage of the $10 off two box sets deal. I checked my listings and I can't find Wonderfalls scheduled anywhere, so I might as well get the one that isn't on the air right now. :cool:

--Katie