Womens World Cup 2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by robojerk, Jul 10, 2011.

1. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Anyone else watching?

The Brazil vs USA game was emotionally exhausting.

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I was just coming to say the same thing. I thought the US was going to get screwed right out of the tournament, what a great comeback. I love Hope Solo.

3. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    That header Wambach made was amazing.

I can't believe that Erika from Brazil just laid down to kill the clock in the 117th minute. I hate when they take falls, but to lie down after no one touches you, pretend like you're hurt, then running back on the pitch after after they take you off the field and waste a few minutes, so unclassy and a million times worse IMO. I wish FIFA would fine players that do that. At least it would put a red mark on their professional records.

4. eddyj

eddyj SeƱor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    There is a thread in Happy Hour.

5. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Next game Wednesday CET or some time zone at 6 pm, translates to 9 am PDT. I think that Tribune will catch up before then.

6. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    There really is no point in her doing that. Time is gonna be added by the ref because of it, and she ended up getting a yellow card.

7. jschuman

jschuman Active Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Except there are 2 advantages:
    1 - While the player is on the ground "injured" she and her teammates get a nice rest. This can be valuable when your team is defending against a desperate onslaught.

2 - In almost ALL cases the amount of time added back is less than the amount of time wasted. They added 3 minutes of stoppage time but I can almost guarantee that there was more than that spent with players getting 'treatment' on the field.

I can guarantee she didn't care about the yellow card.

8. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    3) The "injury" happened "conveniently" while the US was on a offensive push... by getting "injured," she was able to stop the US momentum at that point.

9. cl8855

cl8855 woot!

Jan 2, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    great game! Watched the replay on espn3.com since I dont have espn...

10. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    The male announcer was so obviously on the US side. Is this common in soccer? The way that Brazil played may have been the major factor in this though. That faked injury would have got the entire crowd booing at a US game.

11. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    He said something to the effect of "I know we may sound biased because we are broadcasting for an American audience but I'd feel the same way if these things happened in any game."

12. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Every county/channel has it's own announcers. He announces for ESPN for the USA audience. I'm sure who ever had the rights to broadcast for the Brazilian audience has announcers that are biased for the Brazil team.

13. verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    I watched the highlights from the Fifa website. They were from the German broadcast. My German is a bit rusty, but I could still tell the announcers did not approve of the fake injury. They made a few comments about how "quickly" she recovered.

14. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Well, the fans in the stadium agreed. There were probably many Germans and a number of Americans and Brazilians and other random Soccer fans. Essentially the announcer was saying the crowd was on the US side. Brazil was acting like D-bags and that made the fans of many nationalities very unhappy.

Lets hope both teams play with grace today.

15. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    So far the US seems to be playing with their heads up their asses, and we're only in minute 60.

16. peitsche

peitsche Immer vor der Glotze

Nov 13, 2002
    The Windy City
    does this thread allow spoilers?

Woo hoo! Kick it like Wambach!

17. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA