Woke up this morning and tivo dead!!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by bpier962, Sep 19, 2007.

1. bpier962

bpier962 New Member

Nov 4, 2003
    I went to sleep last night and my directivo, RCA DVR39, was working fine. This morning when I turned on the TV I had nothing. I noticed that the tivo was not making any noise at all, no fan, or drive noise, I checked the power connector and it was still in. I unglugged it and plugged it back in and still nothing. No sound at all. Any ideas what to look for? Is there a fuse it could be? Or is it dead? :confused: Thanks.

2. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    If fan is not working it is probably power supply. There is a fuse someware but I do not know where. Send an Email to Jim Spence, he probably knows. Good Luck

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I concur that it is probably the power supply. Does the green light come on? Do you have a voltmeter to check the power supply? To the best of my knowledge, there are no fuses inside the box. (It's been quite awhile since I had my T60 open.)

4. bpier962

bpier962 New Member

Nov 4, 2003
    The green light does not come on. I do have a volt meter if you could tell me what to check. If that is the problem is there somewhere I can order a new power supply? I would hate to lose the directivo and have to get a directv dvr.

5. Murdock

Murdock New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    It would probably be cheaper to buy a used receiver than just a power supply. I bought a pair of used HDVR2's on ebay for $60 shipped just in case I ever need them for parts.

6. chuckg

chuckg New Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Berkeley
    Ideally, the power supply should be "unloaded" before checking the voltages. Load short may drive power supply output to zero (fold-back current limiting). In the old days a 5 volt source was sourced from a 12 volt source so if the 12 volt source were held at zero there would be no 5 volt.

The below link will take you to explicit instructions on opening the box and disconnecting the cables. Probably only need to measure the voltages on the hard drive power cable.
    $69 for a new supply.
    http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php

http://www.pccables.com/cabtech.htm#power
    Power supply plug 3.5-inch

Pin# Color Function
    1 Yellow +12V DC
    2 Black Ground
    3 Black Ground
    4 Red +5V DC

7. DanT

DanT In Absentia

Aug 28, 2000
    Rockwall, TX
    One other thing to check. Some may consider it stupid, but since we don't know your setup, it's possible. Is the outlet OK? Any chance the circuit breaker tripped? Is it plugged into a power strip? (If so, bypass it or try other known working jacks, etc.)

8. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Or just plug a lamp into the outlet the TiVo was plugged into.

You beat me to it. It's what I was thinking from the first post on.

It certainly needs to be checked first, just in case it hasn't been.

9. OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001
    Actually there is a fuse. It is on the back part of the board and it is covered with a black plastic tube and soldered in place. Back in the day we called that type of fuse a pigtail fuse.

I do not know where, currently, to find one and I do not remember the value but I think it is 125V 1.5A AGC type. Also, back in the day, there was a clip that you placed on a pigtail fuse and it held a second fuse in parallel. I had one and used it to replace the fuse in my box after using a razor blade to remove the plastic cover.

Radio Shack sells several solder in fuse holders that could be used in place of the current fuse.

Of course the problem very well might not be the fuse but it can't hurt to try.

10. bpier962

bpier962 New Member

Nov 4, 2003
    I removed the white ribbon cable from the power supply to the mother board and found that I now have power at the hard drive connector. I did not have power there before. I then plugged the white ribbon cable back in, reapplied power and again no power at the hard drive power connector. I also noticed that there is a clicking sound comming from the power supply when the ribbon cable is connected, and not there when the ribbon cable is unplugged.

11. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    I'm no electrician, but could it be a short in the cable?

12. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Sounds like the Power Supply and Wall Outlet are fine, but it is the White Ribbon Cable.

The older Series 1 Directv/Tivo units had this problem. I know I had a similar thing in my DSR6000.

Replace the White Ribbon.

13. bigbadbevo

bigbadbevo New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    I think I have a similar issue w/ my RCA DVR-40. I never thought to check the white ribbon cable... I am having similar probs as the OP.

I bought a replacement power supply and that did NOT correct my problem so I would encourage the OP to exhaust all avenues before buying a power supply. It was not cheap ~$70.

I'll check my ribbon cable tonight by hopefully borrowing one from a friend's working unit.

14. bpier962

bpier962 New Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Please let me know if that fixes the problem. I don't have another tivo I can steal a cable from so I have been looking into buying a broken unit off ebay to see if I could make one good one.

15. dprovan

dprovan New Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Bredenton, FL
    If you plugged the white cable in and the clicking started that usually means the cable is carrying the power. The clicking is the power supply trying to compensate for a short somewhere. (also known as crowbarring or over-voltage protection). My bet is the main board is shorted to ground somewhere. If you didn't play around with anything look around the main board for anything that looks burnt.
    Dan

16. dageekkid

dageekkid New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    hey I am having the same issue... I tested the white cable and all connections seem to be ok... When I remove the cable I do see power to the HDDs... Also, since this is the second time I am wondering do I have to let it sit there for a week before it comes back by itslef?

Is there a reset button? I have the RCA DVR40 with 2 500GB drives....

On another note I have noticed the screen kept freezing and pixelated and thought I should turn it off and on.... I think that maybe the trouble is with the second drive... i.e. the data is on the second drive and the OS is on the first drive... Live action programming freezes as well which is a BIT%H!!!

17. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    Have you seen this:

http://www.dvrupgrade.com/dvr/stores/1/accessory_nomodel.cfm?SID=1&Product_ID=375

It may help with your power problem. It is what I use for my dual drives. :)

18. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
  19. dageekkid

dageekkid New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    thanks for the info... however, the system won't start with original drive in it... what's that have to do with the smart start?

20. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    Did you read the PDF from 9tee it limits the amount of power used. I thought you said the drive was using to much power. Maybe I misunderstood what you said. :(
    http://www.9thtee.com/SmartStart-DS.pdf