WMPT (Maryland) and Verizon FIOS

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tivohaydon, Dec 14, 2010.

1. tivohaydon

tivohaydon New Member

Mar 24, 2001

Advertisements

Would someone with FIOS in Maryland please tune to channel 522 on FIOS and check the CCI byte value and post here?

Here's how to check:

1. Tune to the channel in Live TV.

2. Press the TiVo button to go to the TiVo CentralĀ® screen and then select Messages & Settings, then Account and System Information, and then Diagnostics.

3. Check the Channel value for Tuner 1, which is on the first page of the Diagnostics screen. If you do not see the one you want, use the CHANNEL DOWN button to scroll to the information for Tuner 2.

4. Once you find the channel number, look below it for the CCI byte setting. If the CCI Byte setting is N/A, the channel is analog.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Is it even possible for an analog station to be mapped so high? I'm pretty sure that the analog tuner can only go to 125 and I don't think it's possible to remap an analog station to a different virtual channel number like you can with QAM.

Dan

3. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    FiOS is all digital

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    There are no analog channels on Fios anymore.

My CCI for MPT is 0x00, as it should be.

5. tivohaydon

tivohaydon New Member

Mar 24, 2001

Advertisements

Thanks wmcbrine - just to confirm you checked on channel 522 and not 22 right?

6. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    Yes.

Why -- what's yours?

7. wdave

wdave New Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Stevenson, MD
    0x00 on mine

8. tivohaydon

tivohaydon New Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Thanks guys. Hopefully you're still around to read my thanks. :)

So the issue wasn't a TiVo but rather another CableCard device I have. I can't record or even watch the station with it as it's claiming some sort of copy protection. TiVo obviously has gotten this right so I'm trying to find out what the correct parameters are.

If any of you are still around there's one final experiment I'd appreciate you trying.

1. Can you record and play back a program on WMPT/522?
    2. Can you then extract the program from the TiVo to your PC/iPod/etc?
    3. If you tune to WJZ/513 what's the value of the CCI byte? (It shouldn't be there...)

This would go a long way helping me nail down exactly where the error is.

9. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    1. Yes.* 2. Yes.* 3. WJZ is not available via Fios in my area (Laurel, Prince George's). But I can tell you that every other channel on Fios is also unprotected. We had a big fuss a few weeks back when they added "Hub HD" with a non-zero CCI flag -- apparently by mistake; they've since corrected it. That was the first time most of us had seen one, apart from the "information channels" on 131 and 1952, which are untunable with unpaired cards. (Most of Verizon's cards are unpaired... or had been. It appears that single-stream cards remain unpaired, while at least some multi-stream cards -- including the one in my Premiere -- now are.) However, in the areas that were sold to Frontier, most channels are now flagged. You can find threads on these issues here.

It seems to me that I've heard some different stories from FireWire users, about things being uncopyable from Fios that way. But I can't speak to that.

* I didn't actually bother doing these tests, because I know what the result will be. Believe me or don't.

10. smallwonder

smallwonder Age quod agis

Jun 13, 2001
    MD, USA
    Just because it's the holidays and you asked, I did actually check and provide the following answers:

1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) 513 in Montg County FiOs is "ion" (WPXW). And yes, it's a 0x00

Good luck.

11. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    It's possible that you really do have a non-zero CCI flag set for that channel by mistake, but that it's only happening in the more northern part of MD.

12. tivohaydon

tivohaydon New Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Thanks for checking again folks.

The hardware in question is Ceton InfiniTV which is really awesome though they've had some hiccups. This appears to be another one. I didn't want to shell out the $130 minimum to reactivate my TiVos. (TiVo pricing being another topic entirely! :)

A few users have reported errors with WMPT and another PBS station in New Jersey as well. After you guys have confirmed that TiVo has no problem with this content I'm now confident that there's a bug in the InfiniTV firmware/drivers that's getting this wrong.

Thank you for the early Christmas gift and Happy Holidays to you all. :)