With TTG/MRV coming, will you buy another S3/THD?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jfh3, Sep 7, 2007.

Will you buy a Series 3 or THD now that TTG/MRV has been announced?

Poll closed Nov 21, 2007.
  1. Yes - I have one S3/THD box and was waiting for MRV/TTG

89 vote(s)
    45.9%
  2. Yes - this will be my first S3/THD box

28 vote(s)
    14.4%
  3. Yes, though I already have more than 1 S3/THD box

29 vote(s)
    14.9%
  4. No - one box is enough for me

42 vote(s)
    21.6%
  5. No - I have no plans to buy a Series 3 platform box (S3/THD)

6 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. Sep 7, 2007 #1 of 41
    jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area

Advertisements

Now that Tivo has unofficially announced that MRV (multiroom viewing) and TTG (TivoToGo) will be released in November for the Series 3 boxes (S3 and THG), will you buy a Series 3 platform Tivo box?

The reason for this poll is that many original Series 3 buyers said they would only buy one box until MRV/TTG was available.

(If you haven't seen the thread, here it is:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=365225)

2. Sep 7, 2007 #2 of 41
    PopcornGuy

PopcornGuy New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I will likely keep the S2 that I transfered a lifetime subscription from now that MRV is coming. I had been leaning toward giving up that second box after the year is up in January.

3. Sep 7, 2007 #3 of 41
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I voted no; I'm a bit concerned Pony wasn't specific about transferring between two S3s. I know we're assuming we can, but I'd like to hear it from the "horse's (Pony's)" mouth.

4. Sep 7, 2007 #4 of 41
    PopcornGuy

PopcornGuy New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    "These features will provide support for video transfers between Series3 & Series2 systems and between a Series3/Series2 system and a PC. High Definition content will not be supported for transfer or playback on a Series2 system"

This says it all. A series 3 can transfer anything not copyprotected to a series 3. A series 3 can only transfer non-HD to a series 2.

5. Sep 7, 2007 #5 of 41
    redtape

redtape Member

Oct 14, 2003
    Laurel,...

Advertisements

How about the option:
    Possibly, but I wasn't really waiting for TTG/MRV, they would just be nice to have?

6. Sep 7, 2007 #6 of 41
    Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    No it doesn't say it all. It says (the way I read it) that you can transfer between an S3 and S2 and between a PC and an S3 or S2. Nowhere does it specifically say you can transfer between an S3 and an S3.

Now if by saying "...video transfers between Series3 & Series2 systems..." that means transfers such as S3 <-----> S2, S2 <----> S3, S2 <----> S2, and S3 <----> S3, then, yes, it does. I just want them to be more specific.

7. Sep 7, 2007 #7 of 41
    nathanziarek

nathanziarek New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    In order for me personally to get another TiVo, I'd need: SDV protection (I'm already out ESPN2HD and I imagine more soon), some sort of schedule manager (so I can just record 3 shows at the same time and the two TiVo's figure it out) and more TV I like :)

8. Sep 7, 2007 #8 of 41
    Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I will be ordering a new THD to go with my Series3 and Series2, now that MRV is going to be supported.

9. Sep 7, 2007 #9 of 41
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    That's how I read it. It's written a little awkwardly, so I see the confusion. But it's hard to imagine an MRV that *doesn't* include S3<>S3.

10. sneagle

sneagle Addicted Member

Jun 11, 2002
    New York area
    I bought two TivoHD from the get-go anticipating this move by Tivo

11. TracerBullet

TracerBullet New Member

Dec 17, 2004
    No. I only have one HDTV and see no reason to until I get a second one.

12. retired_guy

retired_guy New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Saratoga,...
    I've still got the Series 2 box from which I'd transferred the lifetime service to my Series 3. The transfer deal gave me one year of free service on that box which is almost up which means that I'll soon be paying $6.95/month for service on that box. I can replace it in November with the THD unit for something under $299 and get twice the disk capacity, dual tuners, a spare remote, 16x9 aspect support, an ethernet hardwire connector, HD capability along with MRV and TTG services for HD and SD programs as well as a few more goodies. And the service charge, by signing up for three years, will be at the same $6.95 monthly rate I'd have to pay for the Series 2. I can and probably will add cable cards to support additional channels but alternately I could run the box with only analog channels as I do now with the Series 2 box and hence not change my Comcast charges.

Seems like a no-brainer to me to get a THD and dump that old Series 2. I think that a lot of "early adopters" who transferred lifetime service may find this approach appealing (and something their spouses will see logic in).

13. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    I'm currently at a maybe, and it is a maybe contingent on the broadest interpretation of what Pony has said. I want to transfer lifetime onto it -- if I can do that, and MRV really works between an S3 and an HD, and the vast majority of broadcast HD programs do NOT have copy protection, then yes, I'll transfer lifetime from my aging TiVo DVD Burner onto a new TiVo HD.

14. cdp1276

cdp1276 Member

Mar 24, 2003
    Portland, OR
    You need another option in the poll for "No, already have two boxes and glad they are finally giving us functionality as advertised a year ago"

15. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Pony answered my question in his original thread...(emphasis is mine)...

16. TiVoPony

TiVoPony New Member

May 11, 2002
    Alviso,...
    Gosh, that's an interpretation I hadn't considered.

Of course we allow transfers between Series3 systems. Between a Series3 and a TiVoHD, between two TiVoHD's, between two Series3's, from a Series3 to a TiVoHD, from a TiVoHD to a Series3, etc etc etc.

All the permutations work. With the caveats - No HD content transfers to a Series2, and no copy protected content may be transferred.

Pony

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    But will we get stereo from recordings from analog channels? We certainly don't now with the TiVoHD.

18. Canoehead

Canoehead TiVo since 2004

Sep 12, 2006
    CT
    I'd love to, but my second TV is in the bedroom, and that poses two problems:

1) There is no ethernet cable there - so unless Tivo comes out with an "N" adaptor, cannot see sharing HD to that TV.

2) Comcast here in NJ charges $7.50 for that second cable card, and will not listen to reason. So for my S3 in the living room, the first card is "free" as part of the outlet, but the 2nd is a $7.50/month charge.

Because of all that I just sucked it up and got a Motorola DVR in the bedroom - even ignoring the purchase cost of a Tivo, it was way cheaper.

19. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Sorry, Pony. I am a writer/proofreader by trade, so it's an occupational hazard :D

20. ldudek

ldudek New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    I get stereo from analog channels with the S3. Don't know why it would be different with TiVo HD. :confused:

Do you see PCM 48? That is stereo. At least I believe it is

Anyway I'm certainly going to get a TiVo HD as soon as they allow MRV. But not until it is actually released. :)