With TiVo HD, how TiVo should be like Microsoft

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by TiVoDoughBoy, Aug 20, 2007.

1. TiVoDoughBoy

TiVoDoughBoy New Member

Nov 7, 2004

Advertisements

I know, a bit of a leading topic subject, but it's an honest statement. First, let me qualify this by saying that the b2 update solved all of the pixelation issues I had with my TiVo HD (with Motorola M-Card).

But, the point of the post and for the countless others out there who have the SA cards and no relief on the pixelation issue -- and many of those others who are rapidly approaching their 30-day return window... does everyone remember what Microsoft did last fall for Xbox 360?

Microsoft Extends Xbox 360 Warranty to One Year

Because of all the overheating (I think) issues that customers were having with Xbox 360, they extended the warranty to a year *and* made it retroactive so customers could be reimbursed for repairs for which they may have already paid.

For this pixelation issues, why couldn't TiVo do something very similar? Extend that 30-day return window for TiVo HD to 90 days or some longer period to give the more patient users some comfort and satisfaction. I know some folks have just had enough and are returning it regardless, but others may be willing to give TiVo some more time, provided TiVo's willing to demonstrate their commitment to fixing the issue in a timely fashion by extending the return window.

C'mon TiVo, how about it? Seems like the right thing to do to me...

2. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    From what I've read here, Tivo is already doing that for anyone that asks.

Tivo doesn't need to do what MS did, since a user won't have a repairs involved.

3. Zaph32

Zaph32 New Member

May 22, 2000
  4. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    Assuming this just buys patience from Tivo's customers, there should be no write off....Assuming that a software fix will do it, a write off would include the replacement of hardware...which is what Microsoft had to prepare for.

Anybody that has one of the Pioneer TiVo DVD Burner units can tell you the painful stories of how long it took for a fix for that box....part of the delay was that two companies were involved...at least here, TiVo is the clear maker of both hardware and software.

5. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

Advertisements

TiVo would most likely save money by avoiding the close to 30 day returns while it gets a fix for all the issues left outstanding. Anyone that does not like the TiVo HD as is and not willing to wait for a fix will return it anyway be it 30 days or 90 days.

TiVo would be well served to show its customers how confident it was of a fix by extending the warranty period on the TiVo HD.

6. TiVoDoughBoy

TiVoDoughBoy New Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Really? Someone in another thread answered you directly that they asked and were denied, so that doesn't seem to be the case:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=5431675&&#post5431675

7. dolfer

dolfer Miles Standish Proud

Nov 3, 2000
    Milford,...
    Doughboy,

Great idea! And great logic behind it... My return window is fast approaching and I am debating what to do. Do I just keep buying and returning units every 30 days??? Obviously that can't be good for Tivo's bottom line!

It would be nice to have an official announcement and some assurances from Tivo that Scientific Atlanta CableCard users are not stuck! I think there are going to be a flood of returns if they do not.

8. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Someone before that poster was successful. Where do you think I got the idea?

I haven't tried myself, because
    (a) I no longer see any macroblocking issues with b2
    (b) I have confidence that Tivo will address the issue and have no need to extend the period. In the (highly unlikely) event that it is a hardware and not a software problem, I expect Tivo will take care of the early adopters.

If you are interested, call and ask. ;)

9. TiVoDoughBoy

TiVoDoughBoy New Member

Nov 7, 2004
    I understand, but I'm just saying that asking for an extension hasn't been successful for everyone and it shouldn't be something that a customer should hope to get lucky with the right CSR handling the request -- instead, it would be a positive move to have TiVo publicly state that they're extending the return window.

I too have had my issue completely fixed, so I don't have an issue myself. Only suggesting that I think it would be good PR from a customer service standpoint -- of course that has to be weighed against the negative PR of admitting an issue, but the damage there may already be done. I have mixed feelings on Microsoft, but I saw what they did with Xbox 360 and the warranty as nothing but positive from the customer service perspective. And in the case of TiVo, there isn't nearly the financial impact or writeoff that would need to be made as Microsoft had saying they had a H/W fix to do to all these Xboxes. This is just a software fix that they have to do anyway and they're just saying that they'll give people a little extra time to return it, no questions asked, while they fix this acknowledged issue.

10. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I don't necessarily disagree. But if and until that happens, the better solution is for the customer to make the request.