With no MRV currently, what's the best way to watch my S3 on a 2nd TV?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by msu2k, Oct 12, 2007.

1. msu2k

msu2k New Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Holt, MI
    I realize that MRV will be coming in Nov. but from what I understand, we probably won't be able to watch HD shows in a different room. Is there a hardware solution that will allow us to watch HD shows from our downstairs S3 on our 2nd TV upstairs?

2. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Is it a HDTV?

3. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Buy a long cable. That's about it.

4. msu2k

msu2k New Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Holt, MI
    Yes. It is an HDTV.

5. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    What about using a Slingbox from the TV downstairs to a PC upstairs connected to your upstairs HDTV via DVI?

6. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    That won't transmit HD. The only solution is a really long cable.

7. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Tivo has already said HD will be supported with MRV.

You will not be able to transfer SD and HD recordings with copy protection. You can find out whether content is copy protected by selecting a recording on your Tivo and pressing the INFO button. If the recording is copy protected, the Info screen will say so.

8. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    What do you mean? This is from an email sent to me from SlingMedia:

-The Slingbox Solo will be capable to provide a maximum resolution of 720p with a seven seconds delay.

9. wdwms

wdwms Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Wireless HDMI is coming later this year, early next year. There are HDMI solutions right now over dual cat5 runs, but at about $500..

You can RF modulate SD very easily and run it over coax for under $100.. I do that in my house and broadcast my 2 tivos and control via IR in the rest of the house..

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    A 1x2 HDMI splitter if you can run a long HDMI cable to the second TV. You might need an extender, but at least you will get the audio and video on one cable and it will still be in HD.
    You can get the HDMI splitter for under $90. Monoprice has a 4x2 matrix switch/splitter with HDMI 1.3a for under $90.

11. xfm

xfm Member

Apr 1, 2005
    I just posted this on another thread. Might be helpful. I have 3 SD TiVo's distributed using the RF outs, and 2 HD units with the following technique:

I have an HR10 D*TiVo and a Series 3 (OTA only) hooked up with HDMI through a Sony DA5200ES A/V Receiver to my main HDTV.

The component outs are routed through a component A/V (3in,1out) switch to a component distribution amplifier (1in, 3out - for future growth) to a bedroom HDTV.

I use a wired Xantech IR distribution system to control all from the bedroom TV. Can operate the switch to choose which TiVo to watch, and then fully control it from the bedroom, all with a universal remote. Works flawlessly. Only caveat is that the HR10 will only output video from the component outs when the HDMI is not actually on and working on the main TV, but since I never watch both simultaneously, it has worked like a charm. The S3 appears to output component and HDMI simultaneously with no issues.

General note: With all the wireless signals flying around the house (LAN, phones, alarm system, streaming audio, etc), I've found wireless remote extenders to be spotty at best. My hard-wired Xantech IR system -- controlling 3 SD DirecTivo's and the 2 HD Tivos -- is rock solid.

12. xfm

xfm Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Another clean solution I've heard about for routing HD signals is with CAT 5 cable, using devices called 'baluns' at each end. This minimizes cabling and transmits full HD signals. I believe the baluns connect to component cables at each end and are connected to each other with standard CAT 5 network cable.

13. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    "balun" stands for "balanced<->unbalanced". It has to with connecting a signal that is "balanced", as on a pair of wires in a CAT5 cable, to a signal that is "unbalanced", as in a coaxial cable. Baluns are simple coils and capacitors with no active electronic components. (Sorry... the ham radio operator here just had to comment on this :) ).

14. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Really? Their online literature and the first review from slingcommunity make no mention of it. If so, it'll be the first mass market consumer device on the planet capable of encoding HD in realtime.

15. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    This is from the Slingbox web site in the support section of the slingbox pro. Also, why do they always stress HD-Only? What's the 'only' part?

16. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Can you send me the link? I'll ask about it...

17. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Yes, it's downscaled to 480i on the slingbox pro. I assumed the solo was the same deal, since it's just a lower cost slingbox pro with less connections.

18. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    http://support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-005126.html

I'm not sure how to read this. Is the downconversion to SD for all content or just a specific case.

19. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    All HD is downconverted to 480i, compressed, and transferred.