With 20.6.3, Roamio Pro reverts to PCM audio while saying it's sending Dolby

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by dougdingle, Dec 17, 2016.

1. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast

Advertisements

TiVo broke something when they 'fixed' the issue with Quick Access dropping in and out of PCM audio.

On my setup (I never use QA), I have to reset the audio every day now to get the Roamio to put out Dolby. I go to the Audio screen, and it says I have DD enabled, but the box is outputting PCM. I deselect and reselect DD, and it's good until the next time (no more than 24 hours later). Sometimes I can fix it by changing channels, but it reverts to PCM again overnight.

An awful, awful, awful update.

todd_j_derr likes this.
  2. gmacted

gmacted Member

Sep 27, 2013
    I have experienced the same issue.

Have you contacted TiVo and reported the problem?

3. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    I have, and it was the most frustrating experience I've had with them ever.

The person I spoke with kept insisting it was the fault of the AVR, or that the Roamio was putting out Dolby, even when the AVR said it was getting PCM. Then he got creative and said that if I fed the Roamio directly into the TV instead of going through the AVR, and I heard audio, it meant that the Roamio was putting out Dolby Digital, which is the stupidest statement I've heard from 'tech support' anywhere in a very long time. I hung up.

A complete frustrating waste of time.

I'm going to submit an online report of this, and I'm also going to investigate Spectrum's whole-house DVR offerings, because for the first time in more than a decade, I have lost confidence in TiVo/Rovi to get anything right. Between the ongoing guide data fiasco, and 'updates' that break things, and refusing to admit they've broken things, they have turned a wonderful product I've used since the Series 1 into a frustrating piece of shite.

4. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    Submitted a trouble ticket online.

"Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support. We have assigned Case Number 06476388 to your support issue. We are actively working to resolve your support request and will have more information for you as quickly as possible."

5. thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia

Advertisements

I have the same issue with Bolt+

Not all the time, but often enough to annoy me.

Solution is simple (as on OP), but why do I have to deal with it? Annoying!

6. gibbyscott

gibbyscott New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    Yeah same issue here too. I think it has something to do with the Screen Reader since turning that on switches to pcm

7. bsbd

bsbd New Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Virginia...

I was experiencing the same thing with my Roamio Pro. I finally figured out that if it doesn't get the correct HDMI handshake when waking up (coming out of standby) it would ignore the Dolby Digital audio menu setting and just output PCM stereo. After that it would stay in PCM stereo mode until I forced DD the same way you're doing it.

To prevent it from launching into PCM stereo mode in the first place I have to be sure to power-on my Denon AVR first *before* waking up the Roamio.

8. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    My Roamio doesn't go into standby. Back when I first got it, I tried it, and there were delays with my Minis when I used it, so I stopped. I also measured the power consumption difference, and at 15 cents/Kwhr, it amounted to a whopping $10 a year in savings. I decided I would rather have my minis get a tuner immediately as requested instead of having to wait for the Roamio to wake up for the $10/yr.

It would be helpful if everyone with the issue would submit a bug report to TiVo. The support person with whom I spoke made me realize that doing it online at tivo.com was a better option - the person was not very smart, insisting the problem was with my AVR when it clearly is not any such thing.

9. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    Maybe, or else I'm given to understand that there was an issue with going into the quick view speed up mode going into PCM but failing to revert to DD when exiting that mode. They fixed that, and broke this doing it.

Whatever it is, it has become annoying.

10. gmacted

gmacted Member

Sep 27, 2013
    I have opened a case with TiVo regarding this problem. My case number is 06477244. I have referenced your case number (06476388) in my case.

dougdingle likes this.
  11. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    It only takes a couple of minutes to email support online. If you're having the issue, please do so.

The more people do it, the faster it moves up the 'this needs fixing' list.

If you reference the two case numbers so far (above), it will happen even faster.

tim1724 likes this.
  12. bsbd

bsbd New Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Virginia...

Something else must be triggering an HDMI handshake then. There's obviously some kind of fault in the Roamio's HDMI handshake routine that fails to recognize certain DD-capable devices downstream. It happens to me with a directly-connected and powered-up LG TV even though that display definitely supports DD incoming via HDMI. For whatever reason the Roamio likes my Denon, and if I keep the AVR powered-up the Roamio never slips into PCM mode.

13. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    I don't know if that's how it works, with the TiVo switching to PCM if the destination doesn't support DD. In the past (it's been a while since I've had a destination device that didn't support DD), if I selected DD on the TiVo, and the destination didn't support it, all I got was silence - the box did not downshift to PCM.

And since I've had this issue, the setup screen for audio has shown DD selected when the box was putting out PCM.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  14. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    I don't know if new code was sent to my Roamio, but I haven't seen the issue in a few days...

15. gmacted

gmacted Member

Sep 27, 2013
    I hadn't seen it in a few days either, but it happened again this morning. It suspect it may be happening when the TiVo goes to sleep when PCM audio is active. Some commercials switch to PCM and back to Dolby once the show resumes.

16. WRX09MD

WRX09MD Member

Aug 24, 2013
    Mine switched to pcm the day the update when through. I'm running through an Onkyo receiver. Once I switched it back to digital in the Romio it has stayed. Haven't had to switch it back again. I don't do stanby either.

17. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    Things continue to work correctly for me, and it's been a week now. Was happening consistently, daily.

I suggest they may have slipstreamed a fix that didn't need rebooting (since that hasn't happened).

I'm just glad it's working now.

18. NYHeel

NYHeel Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2003
    I still have to periodically fix the audio. I just did it last night. It's pretty annoying.

Truth is I don't actually hear that much of a difference between the PCM and DD despite a pretty nice setup. But I hear the Tivo sound effects and realize the issue.

19. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    Aaaaaaaand...I spoke too soon. Had to fix it again yesterday evening.

On my setup, I can hear a significant difference between PCM and DD, certainly on action movies.

And it really is annoying to have to have to go into the audio setup, then back out, to fix the issue.

Interestingly, this does not affect my three Minis, which continue to pump out DD without problems.

20. met_fan

met_fan Member

May 12, 2014
    Easthampton, MA
    I noticed this problem for the first time today. I noticed the sound was off and then every channel was showing as "stereo" on my AVR. Went into the TiVo menu to Dolby just as noted by others and then the audio went back to normal.