Witches of East End "Pilot" 10/6

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by headless chicken, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Oct 7, 2013 #1 of 20
    headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004

Advertisements

Who else watched? What did you think?

I tuned it because I love a good witch centric drama. I thought the premiere was decent enough, but I really hope the story focuses more on the elder set of sisters because I don't know how much of Jenna Dewan's "acting" I can stomach.

Plenty of repeat airings coming up.

2. Oct 7, 2013 #2 of 20
    Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Haven't watched it yet but it's on my list. The reviews have been pretty good. For example: http://tv.nytimes.com/2013/10/05/arts/television/witches-of-east-end-sweep-in-on-lifetime.html?_r=0

But the proceedings never turn too dark, thanks to zippy repartee among the stars. Ms. Amick is hilarious, and Ms. Dewan Tatum and Ms. Boston make a pretty amusing pair of mismatched sisters.

There is a lot of heavy fare on television on Sunday nights. If “Witches” can retain its wry tone, it will be a satisfying alternative for viewers looking for a lighter way to end the weekend.

3. Oct 7, 2013 #3 of 20
    MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    There's something about Jenna Dewan Tatum that really captures my attention.

Or a pair of somethings. Ingrid's (Rachel Boston) comment to Freya (Dewan Tatum): "Your superpowers are your breasts."

I've been smitten since the original Step Up. And she has a more than acceptable acting range for this series.

4. Oct 7, 2013 #4 of 20
    gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I'm always happy to see Mädchen Amick in something. I've had a crush on her ever since Twin Peaks.

5. Oct 7, 2013 #5 of 20
    headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004

Advertisements

The Hollywood Reporter also had a favorable review: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/witches-east-end-tv-review-641739
    I'm in total agreement with their assessment that "though much of it feels like a romance novel come to life, the gothic drama is surprisingly fun."

She is the undoubtedly the show's saving grace. Somewhat surprising because I thought Julia Ormond would have turned in a stronger performance, being an Oscar nominated actress and all. Then again she wasn't given all that much to work with in the first episode. I suspect she'll rise to the occasion in subsequent episodes.

6. Oct 7, 2013 #6 of 20
    getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Haven't watched it yet, but just wondering how this compares to "Charmed"?

7. Oct 7, 2013 #7 of 20
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I think we see a trend here.

8. Oct 7, 2013 #8 of 20
    headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004
    It's more like Practical Magic meets The Craft than Charmed imho. Give it a whirl and see.

9. Oct 7, 2013 #9 of 20
    MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    Yeah, I almost came back and made a joke about that... Then I worried about seeming to be too much of a degenerate.

Why oh why didn't I remember the of kind posters we are here? I am among my own people. You tend to stick out if you ain't a bit of a degenerate, eh?

10. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I resemble that comment!

11. MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    My brother!

12. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    Me too since Fantasy Island. And that one daughter is so hot I need a new TV.

13. MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    Rachel Boston or Jenna Dewan Tatum? (Jenna is the one who got magically put into that photo on the wall.) They're both nice looking, but Jenna is such a stunner.

'Course her breasts are a little enhanced because she had a baby recently, May of this year, I believe.

14. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Finally got around to watching this today. I liked it. And a cliffhanger in the very first episode! I wonder if they're going to burn through three seasons' worth of plots in the first 13 episodes.

15. headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Hopefully not. I found the pace too frenetic.

There's three books in the series out and they probably will diverge from the plot of the novels in the second season, if they're fortunate enough to get one.

16. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    "We have to work on getting that broomstick out of your ass."

It's not at all on my favorite genres list but I thought it was great. Season Pass worthy for sure. I thought of it a bit as Sabrina the Grown Up Witch, including the black cat meme.

I'm really shocked that it's my favorite new series this season on the networks and regular cable. Masters of Sex wins on premium cable for me.

BTW, the bit about the kids dying and constantly being reborn sounds like a shoutout to The Venture Brothers. :)

17. marrone

marrone Phased Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Melbourne, FL
    I'm surprised they tried this considering Eastwick didn't last long :(.

18. headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Wasn't Eastwick a casualty of the 2009-2010 WGA strike?

19. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    This one is on Lifetime, though, so I'd imagine there is much less pressure for high ratings. Plus, this one doesn't star Lindsay Price, which is almost a guarantee that your show will be cancelled quickly. :)

20. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Speaking of Charmed, the house even has a similarity to the Halliwell mansion.