Wishlist shows not going into folder when manually selected to be recorded--correct behavior?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Mikeguy, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Based on some threads here, I set up a wishlist (named "Movies") to list all movies that are coming up. (On a TE3 Bolt OTA box.) Before I could turn the wishlist default autorecord feature off, a few dozen movies made their way onto my To-Do list--I deleted the movies I didn't want from the To-Do list and the remainder got recorded, and were put into a My Shows TiVo-created "Movies" folder. Great!

I now go into my "Movies" wishlist periodically and select the movies that I want to have recorded, and they get placed into the My Shows list, but not into my "Movies" folder, just into the general My Shows list. Is that the correct behavior, presumably caused by my manually selecting the movies to be recorded (even if from my "Movies" wishlist) rather than their being recorded automatically? Is there any way to avoid that, short of my letting the TiVo box record all the wishlist movies automatically and then culling the recordings after? (I know that I can sort my shows using the left-hand column "Movies" option, but the large number of movies really clutters up the My Shows list--I've discovered some nice movies channels, showing classics, etc.)

Also, my "Movies" wishlist only is good for ~3 days of shows at a time, before it runs out. Again, I assume that this is normal? I would have expected more, given the forward range of the TiVo Guide.

Thanks--

2. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I think that is normal behavior. I used to set lots of WLs up to verbatim movie titles and then when a movie would appear in the to do list, I would delete the wishlist and record manually (I don’t like the folders for single movies, sort of the opposite of what you are doing). Occasionally those manual recordings after deletion of a wishlist would end up in a folder with the movie title. Can’t explain why but it did happen sometimes.

Mikeguy likes this.
  3. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    This is correct behavior. If you use an ARWL, it puts them in a folder, named after the ARWL name. If you use a manual WL, there is no folder, so there is nothing to put them in. You can choose to record them manually, which is what you're doing, but no folder.

A manual WL is nothing more than a glorified Search/Guide. They can be very useful (I have several myself), but no folder & no AR.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Mikeguy likes this.
  4. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Thanks, that's what I thought might be the case. But just with a hope that selecting what to record out of a wishlist might lead to folderized behavior (and the folder here already was there, from when the wishlist was auto-recording)--boy, a lot of movies can clutter up a My Shows listing. :confused:

Wish there was another way, but given the number of movies (as well as possible conflicts), I just don't see allowing them all to go onto the To-Do list or to be auto-recorded and then culling them after-the-fact.

5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    One thing you can do is switch your My Shows to TV shows only, and then switch it back when you want to watch a movie...

(Of course, that's only useful if you spend most of your time watching TV shows!)

Mikeguy likes this.
  6. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Also, normal to have only ~3 days of hits on a wishlist, rather than a longer period of time reflecting how far the TiVo Guide goes out? Perhaps, here, reflecting the volume of hits (for all movies), pretty lengthy. Wish at least a week's worth would show up, though, for reviewing purposes.

7. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Will have to experiment some, now that you turned the lightbulb on for me. :rolleyes: (I rarely use the left-hand columns, and overlooked the TV Series category--usually, I'm just at the show-all category.) And the category choice seems to persist, and so makes this one step more handy. Thanks!

8. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    There is a kludge you can do, if you really want. You can continually edit the ARWL with a specific title of a movie you want to record. That way ONLY that movie gets recorded, and dropped into the Folder. Once it's recorded, edit it to the next one you want to record. The already recorded movie stays there, and the new one will get added.

I had a MOVIE Folder with quite a few movies in it, all done this way. But eventually laziness won out over anal-retentive behavior, and I stopped doing it.

I'm happy to elaborate if you have any questions.

9. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Thanks. Not really applicable to my situation--just trying for an easy way to see what movies are coming up, and then recording the ones that I want. I'll just "make do" with things as they are, and using the sort categories as @Rob Helmerichs suggested, if the main list gets to be too much.

Separately, any idea why I only seem to get 3 days' worth of listings at a time, under the wishlist? Perhaps a limit to what a wishlist can report?