wishlist: same program, same time, multiple channels?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mjh, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Sep 6, 2010 #1 of 13
    mjh

mjh Re: Member

Dec 19, 2002

Advertisements

How does the current version of TiVO software for the HDXL select which channel to record when the same program is received on multiple channels?

On version 6.x on my DirecTiVo, when DirecTV would send down the NFL sunday ticket channels, the TiVo would automatically add them to "channels I receive" even if I didn't subscribe to the service. Which meant that occasionally I'd have a local channel and the sunday ticket broadcasting the same game at the same time. The version 6.x software would always choose the higher numbered channel. And not subscribing to the ticket, I'd often not record a game I wanted before I remembered to manually take the channels out of "channels I receive".

Does the current software on the HDXL do the same thing? I ask because I happen to be able to receive both CBS and FOX from my local affiliate (about 30 mi away) and the next market over (about 50 mi away). Does it always continue to choose the highest numbered channel? Or does it take into account favorites?

I've got my local channels listed in favorites and the ones from the next market over listed as received but not favorites.

Put another way, if I want to make sure that I get the recordings from the local affiliate, do I need to take the distant market channels out of "channels I receive"?

I searched the FAQ, but was unable to find this question. Perhaps I missed it?

2. Sep 6, 2010 #2 of 13
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    With a wishlist, I think you would have to turn the distant channels off in your channel list. Otherwise you might get a recording from each channel (if both tuners are free).
    You can still tune to them by entering the channel number manually.
    Season Passes are tied to the specific channel they are made on. You might try that instead.

3. Sep 6, 2010 #3 of 13
    SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Not sure with yours but with my TivoHD I can tell it which channel to record from when I set up the season pass.

4. Sep 6, 2010 #4 of 13
    steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yes. That is with the season pass and you don't have a dialog to tell the Tivo what channel to record from. It is automatically paired with the channel that you selected the show from to create the season pass.
    However, this thread is about wishlists. If you meant to say wishlist, then please enlighten me on how to make a wishlist channel specific.

5. Sep 7, 2010 #5 of 13
    mjh

mjh Re: Member

Dec 19, 2002

Advertisements

It doesn't record from both channels. It knows that it's the same program. But I'd rather it record from my locals rather than distant.

Additionally I don't want to use a season pass, because the shows I'm recording are football games with my team playing. And that can occur on CBS, FOX or NBC.

Iknow that if I take the distants out of the "received" list I won't record off of them. But I like having them in the received list so that I can look at what's on when I'm guide surfing.

Thanks.

6. Sep 7, 2010 #6 of 13
    steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Interesting dilemma. Does the guide description and info screen match word for word on both the channels?
    I would bet that it does. That's why only one of them gets recorded.
    Just a WAG, you could try putting the distant channel's call letters in the wishlist as a keyword with a negative moniker, but I don't think that'll work.
    If you can find any difference in the guide info between the two stations, I think is your only hope.

Check the to do list and see which channel the next game will be recording from.
    You may not have anything to worry about.

edit:

You can also go into the wishlist and view upcoming showings. That should show both programs with only one of them set to record. From there you can cancel the recording if it's not from the channel you want. Then set to record from the channel you do want to record from.

7. Sep 7, 2010 #7 of 13
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Interesting, I swear I've seen many other people say Tivos preferred the LOWER numbered channel (and some people were annoyed by that because they wanted the SDV and HDTV channels listed, but wanted recordings to prefer the HDTV channel).

Maybe this is a difference between DirecTivos and other Tivos.

8. Sep 8, 2010 #8 of 13
    Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    From what I read TiVo swapped the logic around the time the dual tuner S2 TiVos were released.

Best guess is the old logic prioritized higher channel numbers to attempt to prefer the cable version over the antenna version in TiVos that had a channel available from both sources. (Because presumably the cable would provide a better signal)

Then when the S2DTs came out the logic flipped to prefer the lower basic cable channel because that was more flexible. Because it could only control a single cable box, it was worked best to reserve the cable box for things that couldn't be grabbed from the basic unscrambled cable channels.

9. Sep 9, 2010 #9 of 13
    bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Yep. This has always bothered me. My wishlists will often record the same event on both SD and HD channels. I ONLY want it to record HD channels, but there is no way to set it up for that other than to remove the SD channel. Glaring hole in TiVo's software IMO. :thumbsdown:

10. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    You can set the category to "HD", and it will only record broadcasts tagged as HD. Of course the problem with that is that not all HD broadcasts are actually tagged as HD.

For one of my wishlists, I actually set up two identical wishlists, with one of them set to the "HD" category. Then in the season pass manager, I made sure the the "HD" wishlist is just above the "non-HD" wishlist. This way, it will always have preference for a show tagged as HD, but it will still record anything else that fits the wishlist criteria too. The only down side is that if the HD version isn't tagged "HD", it'll generally end up recording the SD version...but hey, it's better than not recording it at all!

11. bareyb

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Interesting... I'll give that a try. It's just crazy enough to work. Thanks! :)

12. ericlaine

ericlaine New Member

Dec 17, 2011
    I have an old Series2 DT, analog cable only. In my area (upstate New York) I get CBS on both channel 5 and channel 12. Since they are two different stations in different cities, they sometimes broadcast different programming. But when one of my auto-record WishList searches finds a program that is broadcast on BOTH 5 and 12 simultaneously, the auto-record ALWAYS picks channel 12. (This is unfortunate for me because the quality on 5 is much better.) So in my experience, auto-record WishList picks the higher channel number when the same show is on two channels. I wish someone from TiVo would clarify what the expected behavior is when an auto-record WishList search finds the same program on two different channels.

13. bareyb

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Yeah. I don't think it has anything to do with that. My HD Showtime is in the 800's and yet my ARW always records the SD version which is in the 500's... It's just a big glaring hole in the software that never got fixed. Now they've moved onto a new OS and it probably never will.

Does anyone know if this problem has been addressed on the new TiVo Boxes?