Wishlist question (dealing with annoying TiVo snafu)

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by timckelley, May 13, 2011.

1. timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    I discovered to my great annoyance yesterday that all this week, my TiVoHD has not been recording anything. :( The reason: no video signal. I have Time Warner, and ever since the cable guy came out and installed a cable card in my TiVo, it's worked flawlessly until this week. By the way, he also attached a tuning adapter to the setup. (I don't even know what the tuning adapter does or why I need it.)

Anyway, the signal to my house was good, so I rebooted the TiVo and the tuning adapter and that fixed things. So I don't really know if it was the TiVo that needed rebooting or the tuning adapter that needed it.

Meanwhile there was a bunch of eps I wanted to see but missed. The most important ones are:

1) American Idol (2 eps). I went to hulu.com, and it redirected me to another website where I can watch the eps, but it said they're in the "final converting stage", so maybe today I can revisit the site and watch AI

2) Southpark (1 ep) Hulu.com had it right there, so I watched it last night. (rather enjoyed it too.)

3) Glee (1 ep) Hulu.com had it right there, so I watch that last night too.

4) Bones (at least 1 ep): Not a big deal, because I only started watching that this year, so there's plenty of eps I've not seen... this will just be another.

5) Law and Order Special Victims Unit: I can't find that online anywhere, so I'm thinking of giving up on that one for now, which brings me to the question of this thread:

I never miss an ep of Law and Order, and my SP is set up for first run only. Is there a way for me to set up a wishlist for just that one ep? I'd rather not change my SP to include reruns, because that'll clutter up my NP with lots of eps I've already seen. It'd be nice if I would create a wishlist that just looks for and records that one ep I missed. I assume that one day in the future, they'll eventually replay it.

2. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    You might try iTunes for SVU. It was not a very good one though, you didnt miss much. I watched it last night.

3. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Set up a WL for Title: Law and Order: SVU, Keyword: (shows title). You may have to take out the 'and' since the show uses '&' which you can't input.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I don't know about tuning adaptors, luckily, but I did have a bad signal issue that was due to a cablecard which was not seated all the way. It worked two years, but eventually it started having issues. Reseating it did the trick.

5. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    As far as finding episodes, I have always found Clicker.com to be the best way to find legal means of watching shows. Search per show and it will tell you what if any streaming service has it.

6. timckelley

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    I see I can download it for $1.99

Given this, maybe I shouldn't fork out the $1.99... setting up the wishlist is a free alternative, so I figure why do this for free if free is available? So I'm inclined to set up the wish list.

7. timckelley

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    Don't I need to somehow put the name of the ep in there somewhere?

8. blackngold75

blackngold75 Active Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...
    Although I don't have a tuning adapter, based on other threads I have seen I suspect the tuning adapter was the culprit.

9. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    See it now? ;)
    Except that should be "show's" with an apostrophe.

10. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Thank you Professor Scandia. ;)

Show's title should have been Episode title.

11. timckelley

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    Sorry, as WhiskeyTango mention, I was confused by Show title vs episode title.

BTW, if I can't put & in there, should the show title be "Law Order: SVU"? Would that even be picked up, with no and or & in there? Considering that this is no longer the actual title?

12. timckelley

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    Happy ending to my problem. I just watched the two episodes of American Idol I missed, on www.sidereel.com for free, and I also entered the wishlist per the advice in this thread, and just today, the wishlist entry found my ep in the extreme future end of the guide datastream... they're already going to repeat it. (It wasn't there yesterday.)

Last night, as I said in the OP I watched my other two missed shows on hulu.com, so the damage repairs are now complete. :)

13. timckelley

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    Oh, I just noticed that while my TiVo is plugged into a UPS, my tuning adapter has been plugged into the side that doesn't have battery backup protection. I just moved that plug over to the battery backup side.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is my problem... I could have had a split second power outage, enough to disrupt the tuning adapter, but my TiVo, having a battery backup, never rebooted, so I didn't notice anything unusual until my shows weren't recording.

Hopefully my new setup will prevent this from happening in the future.

14. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    Since you have a TivoHD, if you have broadband service, you can use Tivo Search to find the episode you want. If the program is in the guide to be repeated, you can schedule a recording, or if not currently in the guide, you can easily program a wishlist to pick it up.

I see that the May 11 episode is listed as Season 12, Episode 23, Titled: Delinquent with a repeat showing on 5/24 on USA Network

15. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    In the manual, if there still is one, it says to leave out punctuation..

16. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
  17. timckelley

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
  18. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have all of my theater equipment plugged into a UPS, so that won't help the fact that sometimes, the tuning adapter will just lose all channels and will just show a black screen. To fix, it requires a TiVo and tuning adapter reboot.

It doesn't happen that often, but when it does, it is a real pain in the butt.