wishlist only matches SD channel

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by urungus, Oct 25, 2007.

1. urungus

urungus New Member

Aug 17, 2002

Advertisements

Comments appreciated on what I'm doing wrong on my wishlist search.

TivoHD running 9.2.J1-01-2-652

I made an autorecording wishlist with keyword "Packers" and Sport - Football.
    edit: deleted "Sport - Football" from search, didn't make a difference)

When I look at upvoming episodes, it only lists next Monday's game on my standard definition ESPN channel, but not my ESPN-HD channel.

- I checked the program description on the ESPN-HD channel, and it says "Packers" in there twice.

- double checked and "Packers" is a regular keyword, not a title keyword

- I record SportsCenter every morning on ESPN-HD, so I'm definitely getting that channel.

What's going on?

Is there any way to force the Tivo to record from ESPN-HD if the show is actually broadcast in HD, but to record from ESPN if its a SD broadcast?

I'd rather not delete the standard definition ESPN from my list of channels. It's useful for the shows on ESPN that are broadcast only in SD. (I have a 4:3 HDTV, so a SD broadcast will fill the whole screen without any fiddling around with zoooming.)

2. urungus

urungus New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Now I did a wishlist on keyword "SPORTSCENTER", nothing in any of the other search fields (Title Keyword, Actor, Director, Category).

TiVo finds only two upcoming programs, both on ESPN (there should be hundreds of matches, it's on ten times a day):

9am on 10/25
    and a 6pm showing of "SportsCenter: Monday Kickoff" on 10/29

I have a full two weeks of guide data. SportsCenter is on all the time (I record it in HD every morning from 6-7:30). What gives?

edit: when I do a Search by Title instead of a doing a wishlist search, my Tivo finds dozens of episodes of SportsCenter on 5 channels (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNews, EPPN-HD, ESPN2-HD

3. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    Unlike "View Upcoming Episodes" in a season pass, "View upcoming programs" in a wishlist does not display every instance of a single program episode. It only displays one showing per hit. It is still hitting the other showings, but it will only display the first. This is so that wishlists that hit many targets don't become overwhelming.

You probably want two wishlists. One should have "HD" as a keyword. Put that one above the other in the Season Pass Manager.

4. urungus

urungus New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Thanks.

That'll work, but won't that record the program twice, preventing a different program of lower priority from being recorded?

5. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR

Advertisements

No, once an episode of a show is scheduled to record, no repeats will be scheduled from any source for 28 days unless "ALL (WITH REPEATS)" is selected.

6. urungus

urungus New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    OK, I am still confused.

I've never scheduled a recording of ER before, so I used it as a new test case.

It is simulcast on TNT & TNT-HD, I get both.
    I verified the keyword "HD" does appear in the program descriptions on TNT-HD.

TiVo couldn't find a single match when I created these three wishlists (I never set it up to record anything, I created a single wishlist, then edited it):

HD • ER
    (HD) • ER
    HD • (ER)

It finally found ER (as well as a few other shows), but only on the SD channel, when I made the wishlist keywords:
    (HD) • (ER)

I want to record ER only in HD, what am I doing wrong?

7. urungus

urungus New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    What I was doing wrong was I was typing HD as a keyword,
    rather than entering it as a category.

TiVo will still let me choose a subcategory after choosing "HD", very nice.

But now I have to make two wishlists everytime, one to find my program in HD,
    and failing that, another entry to find it in SD. Seems like something the TiVo should be able to handle automatically.

8. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    Not everyone wants the SD version if HD is unavailable. Others might want the first showing, regardless of format. You now have the tools to tell tivo what you want, and so do others.

9. urungus

urungus New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    True, and I'm grateful for your help, but having to create two wishlist entries for every search isn't the most elegant of solutions.

That's what we had to do for programs that ran an extra minute before TiVo introduced the clipping feature. Hopefully they can do something for this too.

Maybe have some sort of global (or per-wishlist) preference specifying what to do if the same show is airing simultaneously on both SD & HD channels. You could choose "always record the HD channel", "record the HD channel only if the show is actually in HD", etc.