Wirless N Tivo Adaptor issues with Serie 3 HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by talisman954, May 18, 2010.

1. talisman954

talisman954 New Member

May 18, 2010

Advertisements

I recently tried to upgrade my TIVO HD SERIES 3 BOX to use the new Wirless N Tivo adaptor.
    I had all kinds of issues getting this thing to work despite having a little bit of networking know how.
    I did get it to work with my LINKSYS WIRLESS IN ROUTER but when i tried to load up my netflix online on the tivo it was so slow that it would not even load the page.
    After trying to get it to work when i rebooted my Tivo Box with my add on storage TIVO HD, it would not boot using HDMI??
    The only way i can get the picture to show up is if i use through component!!
    So does anyone know what i could have done wrong with this install on the N Adaptor that could make it run so much slower than my WIRLESS G Adaptor?
    I do a lot of show transfers from TIVO BOX TO MY PC, and i really wanted the extra speed from the N, along with freeze free NETFLIX HD STREAMING.
    I was hoping i was missing a setting in my WIRLESS N Linksys or something.
    Im using TWC and my speeds for download are around 25 meg down and 2 meg up last time i checked so im running pretty fast.
    Any help would be very nice.:mad:

2. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    north carolina
    Your post is very confusing. Can you tell us how you setup your 'N' adapter ?

3. talisman954

talisman954 New Member

May 18, 2010
    Yeah i need to not post after drinking lol
    Anyway in short i set my adaptor up using the online SETUP it suggests in the manual.
    I also have the smart link thing where you can press the button on the router and then on the adaptor.
    As i say everything does work, but its so slow that when i try login to netflix it loads, the page but then seems to crash.
    Im not sure if i have to put in any settings into the Wireless N Router to make it work? I have the router set to AUTO 20/40 i think.
    As soon as i switch back to WIRELESS G Adaptor it works fine with Netflix.
    Not sure if i got a bad adaptor but i got this one because i have issues with Netflix Streaming HI DEF MOVIES and also for faster transfers of shows from my box to my pc.

4. stevo1569

stevo1569 New Member

May 13, 2010
    I just got this adapter today, and got it to work perfectly...First I don't mean to sound like I'm patronizing you but you are in (acceptable) range of your router right? So many issues of this are because the client is a mile from thhe router and it's impossible to get any throughput but since your G adapter works fine here is what I recommend:

Go into your routers settings and TEMPORARILY change your router from mixed mode (b,g,n) to N only. I said temporary because I'm assuming you have other peripherals on your network that may be G or B. Then go into your transmit mode and switch it to 5Ghz rather than the default 2.4Ghz. Once you do that attempt to watch a netflix move and see if the throughput is any better. If that doesnt work there might be a bug with your rouer and you might want to check for a firmware up date from the manufacturers website.

Let me know how this goes...

5. Beachbum55

Beachbum55 New Member

Jan 1, 2004

Advertisements

I recently connected the new Tivo N bridge to my Series 3 box without any problems. I had to configure it using my computer, since my Wireless N router doesn't have the "One Touch" (or whatever they call it) programing.

You might want to try configuring the N bridge again using your computer, then plug it in to your Series 3.

6. talisman954

talisman954 New Member

May 18, 2010
    Well thanks for all the feedback.
    I tried some of the stuff today and here are my findings.
    I have the 120n Router so its not 5gtz dual band.
    So i can only run on 2.4gtz.
    I tried to set this up once again and the same results.
    It does connect i connected it manually using the config tool.
    I connect it to my Tivo Box and reset everything up, and it pulls in all the settings and all looks good.
    So here is where the issue comes up.
    When i try connect to the Netflix instant, it goes to a grey screen and freezes.
    Now if i have my G Connecter connected it does not do that.
    Also i did notice my Router was out of date with firmware, so i updated that but it didnt really change anything for this issue.
    I do have a 3000 sft home and my router is upstairs and Tivo downstairs so does anyone think that going for the dual band 5gtz Wirless N will fix this issue?
    Also i want to stay under $130 if possible, so if anyone has any suggestions for the best deal for what i need?
    Thanks Again.