Wirless issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by DrWho453, Sep 22, 2007.

1. DrWho453

DrWho453 New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Raleigh NC
    I have the following configurations:
    Tivo series 3 (Wired LAN)
    Tivo series 2 (Wireless LAN with no easy access to a wired LAN for testing)
    Dell Desktop (Wired LAN) running Windows XP sp0 and tivo desktop 2.3a (I haven't gotten around to adding sp1 yet so I can't upgrade the tivo desktop)
    HP Pavillion laptop (Wireless LAN) running Vista Home premium with tivo desktop 2.5
    Netgear WGR614 V4 with latest update configured for WPA

Both DVRs see the two tivo desktops. I can play photos and music on the DVRs from both the desktop and laptop systems. I can download tivo videos from the series 2 to the Dell computer. I can not transfer videos from the tivo series 2 to the HP laptop. I get a message that there is a problem with the DVR connection. If I try to go to the ip address for the tivo, it times out. If I plug the laptop into the LAN connection, I can see the tivo and have no problem downloading the video. The strange part is, is that I can see the tivo series 3 from my browser while I am using the wirless network. When I go to the tivo 3 ip address in the browser, I get the message that it is out of memory which I know is happening because TTG is not enabled yet but at least I know I can see the tivo.

My question is why can I not get to the tivo 2 ip address wirelessly. I have tried rebooting the router, I have checked my firewall settings and can't figure it out. I think it is strange that it has no problem getting music and photos wirelessly but I can't see it to download videos unless I am wired. BTW, at the time of this writting both units are running the version prior to the new 9.x version that is coming out.

2. DrWho453

DrWho453 New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Raleigh NC
    Well, I am not sure why this issue was happening but I decided to try rebooting the tivo again. After the reboot, I still could not find the address using my wireless laptop . I had the tivo display some photos from my laptop and that worked. I then tried to go back to the music, photos, and more screen using the left arrow but it got stuck and eventually got back to the tivo menu. I tried going back to the music photos and more screen and got a message about how to set it up to view thing from a remote computer. I backed out and went back in again and now I could see my laptop again. I tired the tivo desktop on my laptop and it works now. Not sure how long it will keep working but it is working for now.

Anyway just another story for the record books :)