wireless?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by leiff, Sep 1, 2011.

1. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    I'm not sure I'll be using 720p netflix but I'll probably try the free hulu plus that comes with my new premier. If I go wireless the wireless n adapter will work way better than the g adapter for this right?
    how about using the hd menus? Speed of these is bandwidth dependant right? Will the n adapter do this better than the g adapter? If not then I don't think I want to spend extra money for n adapter and get the g adapter. Can n adapter make hd menus work well? Are there people using wireless and happy using hd menus?

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Do you have a N router? If so, I wouldn't use anything but wired or the N adapter if you plan on using any network features. Yes, Premieres are well known for being slow if there are network issues. You do have a higher likelihood of having issues with the G adapter.

3. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I have G adapters on both my Premieres. I don't use the HD menus but for streaming they work just fine.

The only "slow" issues I experience are when transferring from Tivo to Tivo. Everything that comes from the internet is super fast.

4. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    can you stream netflix 720p? If so how far are you from router?
    N travels further than g right? How about if I'm downstairs from router? G vs. N Dispersal patterns are different right?

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The G adapters work perfectly find for any of the internet streaming applications that the Premiere has. They provide more than enough bandwidth. Netlfix won't even come close to using the bandwidth available with the wireless G adapter since the max Netflix 720P streaming speeds are under 5Mbps ..
    They work perfetcly fine with the HD menus as well. Even with my girlfriends slow 1.25Mbps DSL the HD menus are fine.

6. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The problem is not the adapter itself though. Many routers have very poor performance when using the G standard. A lot of it depends on what router you have. There are some routers that just can't handling streaming very well especially with other devices on the network.

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The TiVo G adapter has built-in processing power that takes some of the load off of the TiVo's CPU, networking chore-wise, so in some instances it's even better than plugging into the TiVo's Ethernet jack.

8. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Ethernet hardware drivers very efficient. Plenty of tests have been done with TiVo Series3 boxes that showed wired was much faster. Yes, it may take some load off of the CPU, but wired is much more efficient in general that you don't have the same issues when dealing with wireless.