Wireless ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by howye, Aug 8, 2011.

1. howye

howye New Member

Dec 27, 2002
    I am returning to the Tivo fold after an absence, well I have a series 2 in the bedroom but not used much, and when my Premiere arrives this week I want to test run it with the cablecard and tuning adapter as cheaply as possible. To that end, I would like to use my wireless adapters that I have on hand to connect. I understand that non-Tivo branded adapters are not supported and are said not to work.

My question is do they not work completely or do they not "work" in the sense that Tivo won't support them and/or there are some features that do not work well? If I am happy with the performance of the box with regards to cablecards and tuning adapters, I will either upgrade to a Tivo adapter or a wireless bridge but I don't want to bother with them yet.

2. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    The only way to find out is to try the adapters you have. Having said that, I will tell you that my various Tivos are connected "wirelessly" via wireless routers set to "client mode". One uses the Zyxel WAP3205 and another uses an older Linksys WRT54G that I loaded with DD-WRT firmware to allow client mode. The Tivos are connected to one of the ethernet output ports on the respective router and work perfectly.

3. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    I believe the only usb wifi adapter that it will work with is the Tivo one. I am pretty sure it doesn't have drivers for any of the others at all. I have not seen anyone get another adapter to work... lillevig was talking about using a wireless bridge (which you could as well, but that isn't an adapter). Since you mentioned the wireless bridge, I am going to assume that you understand what it is and how it works...

4. howye

howye New Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Fully versed on wireless bridge and so on, thanks for the benefit of the doubt there. I suspected that the drivers simply did not exist in the Premiere, which is a nice way of adding a hidden cost on to the purchase of a box. But lillevig's mention of the DD-WRT firmware may save me some money, will have to check to see if my old router is a supported model. Using that box in client mode would save the cost of a Tivo adapter and add some ethernet ports in a convenient spot.

5. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    It's completely unacceptable to me that these expensive boxes don't have built in wifi. Pretty much every other device does.

6. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    If your old router is supported by DD-WRT, then it should also let you do the Repeater Bridge mode. That's how I set up my WRT54G. The Zyxel was my first acquisition and it will do repeater or client but not both at the same time. Have fun. :D

7. howye

howye New Member

Dec 27, 2002
    And no luck with the router being compatible with DD-WRT. Found an old dd-wrt forum posting that tested it. Which is not surprising, I replaced it for being a little unreliable in the first place.

I am going to try out the Premiere with my existing old(ancient) wireless adapters, and I fully expect those to fail. At that point I may return the box. I bought the Tivo for $50, buying a Tivo branded adapter or other solution is going to run about that same amount. It seems silly to pay less for the Tivo than the network hardware.

While I am not particularly upset about Tivo not including wireless built in, it irks that I have buy a Tivo branded adapter. Arguably, wireless adds a certain cost to hardware people are reluctant to buy anyways. But how much disk space could a fairly comprehensive driver database take up on disks of ever increasing capacity?

In any case, thanks for jumping in with advice.