Wireless Tivo ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by daveshawuk, Jul 6, 2006.

1. daveshawuk

daveshawuk New Member

Sep 18, 2002

Advertisements

I live in Spain and my "fixed" line telephone is provided over a wireless network. Unfortunately the quality of the phone line is very poor and TIVO sometimes takes upwards of 30 attempts before it manages to successfully update the guide data. I am therefore thinking of going wireless as I have a good broadband Internet connection with a Wireless Access Point already installed.

I would be grateful for any pointers on the easiest way to achieve this. I am particularly interested in the pros and cons of using a Wireless Gaming Adapter as opposed to a PCMCIA access card along with the TurboNet card.

Cheers

Dave

2. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    The best way to go wireless with a UK TiVo is to use a Wireless bridge (aka Game Adapter) with a Cachecard or Turbonet card.

The older Airnet adapter (the one that takes a PCMCIA wireless card) is limited to 802.11b as it only supports 802.11b cards based on the now-obsolete Prism II chipset. And apart from being slow, the Airnet can also suffer reception problems as the PCMCIA card is physically located inside the metal TiVo case.

If you go for a bridge, make sure you get one from the same manufacturer as your access point, as compatibility between manufacturers is atrocious and each will blame the other if the two devices fail to work together!

3. threadkiller

threadkiller Dark side Nrth Devon

Dec 12, 2002
    agree with blindlemon on this one. I ditched my airnet, in favour of a turbonet & bridge. Much better option especially as I have 2 tiVo's now on the same bridge

4. Foxy

Foxy Member

Mar 7, 2003
    Bonnie Scotland
    Can you tell us what bridge you use?

5. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...

Advertisements

I feed one of my Tivo's via one of these http://www.slimdevices.com/ in wireless bridge mode.

Automan.

6. Foxy

Foxy Member

Mar 7, 2003
    Bonnie Scotland
    Two questions for you, if you don't mind:

1) Can this device pull music directly from a NAS disk or does it always need SlimServer to be running?

2) Could I attach more than 1 Tivo (or e.g. Xbox) via a switch to the Ethernet port, thus wirelessly enabling all the devices?

7. fade2grey

fade2grey New Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Yup, I'd agree with that - game adaptor or wireless bridge is the way forward .. not too pricey either.

If you connect several wired devices into a small hub (xbox, tivo etc) & then connect that (via the uplink port) to a wireless bridge/game adaptor you can link the lot into the rest of the network.

8. threadkiller

threadkiller Dark side Nrth Devon

Dec 12, 2002
    all my Kit is safecom I use a 5400 as a bridge even tho its a Cable router.

9. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    The cheapest / most reliable bridge I have found is a linksys wrt54g running Thibor http://www.thibor.co.uk/
    Thibor is a modified linux "firmware" for the router to add all sorts of features including the ability to make it into a bridge, support better wireless encryption and increase transmit power.

A great forum exists for this firmware but its currently going through an upgrade. Should be up by the 20th of this month
    http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Forums