Wireless Setup & Current SW version

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by John Hafer, Jan 8, 2006.

1. John Hafer

John Hafer Member

Dec 20, 2001
    Woodbury,...

Advertisements

Hi All,

Quick question: I bought a brand new 80HR Series-2 TiVo. When we plug it in, what version software will probably be installed? What is the newest version software spooling?

I also purchased the TiVo brand wireless adapter to connect this TiVo to our home network. I have a Linksys WRT-54G Wireless Router and home network. Anything special I should know before I start to work on this?

I am already familiar with TiVo for I have had a Series-1 TiVo since 2000 so I don't need the basics, just anything I need to watch out for in setting up wireless.

Finally, does the TiVo support WPA encription, or only WEP?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

John

2. dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    Most likely if you bought it in the store it will come with 5.xxx software, the latest software is 7.2 I think. If it did come with the 5.xxx version of the software it will need to do the initial guided setup either via a phone call, or using a wired usb adapter and the ,#401 dialing prefix. If by chance it comes with 7.1 or later then you can do guided setup using the broadband connection. TiVo only supports WEP for now, I believe they are working on WPA, but have not commited to any sort of timeframe for support.

Let me know if you need more details on any of this.

-Dylan

3. John Hafer

John Hafer Member

Dec 20, 2001
    Woodbury,...
    Hi Dylan and thanks for the quick reply.

I plan on doing the initial setup via using our telephone land line and TiVo modem. However, you said that if the TiVo has 7.1 or higher, you can even do the setup via wireless broadband. Is there a way to check what version of software is installed BEFORE going through the guided setup? I know how to check it on a TiVo that is already setup.

Also thanks for the info on WEP. Looks like I will go with WEP encription for now. That is OK. I have two networks, one WEP, and one WPA2, soI will connect it to the WEP network.

John

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Look on the UPC label. You will fine an "SS" on it somewhere if if has 7.2.

5. adavidw

adavidw Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Tucson, AZ

Advertisements

The easiest way to check the version is to plug in the wireless adapter to the TiVo, then plug the TiVo in. If the TiVo asks you about the wireless adapter during the guided setup, you're good to go. If it doesn't, you've got something <7.2, and it will download 7.2.x after guided setup during the next regular phone call.