Wireless Security - WEP or WPA

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jg1107, Jun 11, 2006.

1. jg1107

jg1107 New Member

Nov 25, 2005
    California

Advertisements

Hope this is isn't too dumb a question but here goes. I've had my series 2 TIVO working on my wireless just fine and dandyl. Then about a week ago I decided that I better secure my network so I went into the router and configured it for WPA. Today I notice that my TIVO was not being updated due to my security configurations. I entered in the password, etc only to find out that TIVO only supports WEP protocol. I want to keep my system on WPA as I believe that is more secure. Is there anyway around this so that I can keep my TIVO wireless while keeping my WPA security?

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    You can use WPA with TiVo but only if you use a wired eithernet adapter to wireless bridge. The tivo website lists some compatible wired adapters (or if you have the S2 DT you just use the ethernet port). Then I would find a wireless bridge using the same manufacturer as your router. Its not required or needed to use the same manufacturer, but can make things easier. Once you get the bridge, you set it up using WPA but from your TiVo you just set it up as a regular connection with no security settings. The bridge will handle all of the encryption. You can also use a gaming adapter but I would stay away from the Linksys G game adapter as it is not very compatible with a lot of routers.

3. jg1107

jg1107 New Member

Nov 25, 2005
    California
    Thanks, I'll give it a try!

4. dshinnick

dshinnick Member

Jun 6, 2003
    And, you might just switch back to WEP. Yes, technically, WPA is more secure, but have you noticed anyone sitting in a black car across the street trying to break into your network? Have any network traffic that some bad guy really wants access to? Probably not. WEP will keep people off your net unless they are determined to break in, and what would cause them to be that determined? Most folks are just looking for an unprotected net to tap into for Internet access, and WEP will prevent that just fine.

5. yostmatt

yostmatt mE

Apr 6, 2005
    Hollidaysbur...

Advertisements

I would just use WEP, unless you have a problem with people breaking into your network. Also, if you live in an apartment building, where people could steal it easy.

6. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Its not just about breaking into your computers. They can also use it to send spam among other things. While you think its not a serious thread, when your ISP cancels your account for something you didn't do, then it will start to seem serious. Sure for 99% of the time is not a major issue, but I would rather not have to worry about those issues.

7. billb914

billb914 New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    I'm only using wep, but I have mac address filtering turned on, and only have 3 dhcp addresses set up with long leases so they dont expire.

This should keep most people out.