wireless phone jack question

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by gregftlaud, Jan 1, 2006.

1. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Member

Jun 16, 2004
    ft...

Advertisements

i purchased a set of GE Instajack wireless phone jacks model number 080 09 0259 last month from target and i was wondering at what frequency do these wireless jacks transmit? i am getting interference with my netgear wireless router and losing signals between that and my two computers that have wireless network cards setup on them. i was wondering if these jacks transmit over a 2.4 ghz frequency or do they send the signals over the electrical lines? i dont have a 2.4 ghz telephone and nothing else has changed in my house since these frequent signal drops happen on my wireless router...so i dont know what else could be causing it. i live in an apt complex so maybe a neighbor has a 2.4 ghz phone or something but i really dont think that would cause i problem but u never know. i am just trying to rule out everything in my apartment before i look outside of it. i looked on the back of the wireless jacks but they dont say and looked online but couldnt find any info.

thanks
    greg

2. lostman72

lostman72 New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Central...
    The wireless power phone jacks work on FM Carrier Freq: 3.3 MHZ – 8.2 MHZ. Your router might be going bad? Did you buy wireless game pads for you xbox or Playstation or maybe some one in your building did? Some one might have bought a new router or got one for chrismas or a new phone? You can always start to use 5.8 Mhz 802.11A router. Most people don't even know what A is. And the card for you computer should be able to do A B & G. Also wireless speakers and so much out there also use 2.4. Hawking sells a 2.4 amp. You can try that? Compusa sells the amps.

Good luck.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    The jacks don't actually use radio broadcast transmissions. They use your AC power line to transmit from one jack to the next.

You can find more info about how these things work at ...
    http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/rfiteljx.html

Also, your Instajack should have an FCC ID Number or FCC Registration Number printed on it. You can find more technical information about that device's RF emissions at the FCC web site here ...
    https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/cf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm

The most likely causes of 2.4GHz interference are portable phones (perhaps your neighbor?), other Wireless LAN equipment (perhaps your neighbor), and appliances like microwave ovens.

4. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Member

Jun 16, 2004
    ft...
    i've asked as many of my apt complex neighbors as i can if they have any new 2.4 ghz electronics and all said no. i didnt ask everyone but those people are kinda far from me like 150+ feet. the wireless part of the router has been acting fine the last couple of days. before that when the signal was going down i hooked up my two computers with ethernet cables and the router worked just fine so i dont think it is the router. right now i have one computer wired and one, my laptop, wireless. i wonder if the two computers were interfering with each other?

greg

5. Crash_Corrigan

Crash_Corrigan New Member

Feb 27, 2004

Advertisements

Make sure you're using a wireless modem jack, rather than a wireless phone jack.

I was using a wireless phone jack with my original 1996-era Directv SD STB and it worked fine, but it wasn't fast enough to work with either of my D* Tivos. But, the wireless modem jack works. Mine is a Belkin.