Wireless Network ? + other ?'s

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by laneerg, Jan 5, 2006.

1. laneerg

laneerg New Member

Dec 17, 2005

Advertisements

I got a Tivo for my birthday (Dec). I don't have a landline, so I had to buy a router (Netgear wireless) and then after many attempts, finally got a wireless adapter that Tivo accepted. I got it all set up and working great.

Now here is my problem, and my question. My computer is in my office. The place I want my Tivo is in my living room. When I set up the Tivo, I used the tv in my office. But, now that the Tivo is in my living room, it will connect to my network, but never above a 66% connection and always fluctuating. After 30 hours of trying to get it to do it's update thing from my living room and getting nowhere, I moved it back to my office and did the updating and downloading with no problems.

I really don't want to have to move my Tivo back and forth between my office and the living room every time I need an update. The only thing I've come up with is to get super long cables to extend my router from my cable modem/computer out to the hallway where it will have a good chance of direct contact. Pricing this out, it will be at least $80.

Is there anything else I can do???

Next question. I tried putting in the code for the 30-second skip function. But it won't work!! Does it not work anymore for the 7.1 software???

Next question. My TV is not listed on the list of TV's for me to be able to program my Tivo remote. It's a Ceryiana (not in front of my tv, so not positive about spelling.) Anything I can do? Or do I just have to keep using both remotes?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer. This has turned out to be quite an expensive "gift" though I know once all these issues are worked out, I'll be loving it!

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Software updates don't come along that often so I wouldn't worry too much about the problem. If it were me I would just buy a long enough cable to reach to other unit and a USB network adapter. You can wait for them to be on sale at a Fry's or elsewhere. You would even be able to get them cheaper on eBay if you are patient. This would also have the advantage of facilitating transfer of recorded programs from one unit to the other which is ify at best over wireless. 66% is not that all bad - for a while mine was down about 30% til I fooled with the router antennas. Amazing that just a small amount of antenna movement would make such a difference!

3. laneerg

laneerg New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Thanks for your reply. I went to Best Buy yesterday afternoon and bought some longer antenna's for my router. That seems to have greatly increased the connectivity. I wasn't just needing it to be connected for software updates - I needed it connected for the daily guide info updates. I just checked it a few minutes ago, and apparentally a guide update succeeded early this morning. Yay! :)

4. padmalinowski

padmalinowski New Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Madison, WI
    This is exactly the situation I have, but I can tell you that the Tivo has never had any trouble connecting to the computer via the wireless network. The strength of signal thing doesn't seem reliably correlated to speed or connectivity for me. Rule of thumb I've heard is that the signal degrades 10% for every wall between the router and the adapter. (I think mirrors count for more than 1 wall.) So I have the bathroom and a contiguous closet in the direct path, so that's 3 barriers, ~30% degradation, and I get 66%. That's about right. Yes, it fluctuates, but I don't know if I even care about those numbers.

Now, practically, the TiVo daily update is not transmitting a ton of information, so even a slow connection would still get it done seamlessly (and faster than dialup). And if you use Online Scheduling, you'll be pleasantly surprised to see how easy and quick that works even with a wireless connection.