Wireless network no longer works with S2 and Comcast

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by TiVo Mel, Aug 26, 2011.

1. TiVo Mel

TiVo Mel King of TiVo Nation

Jun 20, 2005
    Vegas?
    I have an S2 with Lifetime on it and I get updates wirelessly on my network using a D Link DWL-122 USB adapter. My router is a Netgear WNR 1000 v2 N 150 wireless. My internet provider is Xfinity (Comcast).

I just switched to Comcast from Fios and my set-up worked fine, but now the USB adapter doesn't communicate with the router. The Tivo is able to detect the adapter.

I assume the router is the problem, but I don't know how to fix it. Any suggestions?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I believe the Tivo does not work with that adapter. I used to used that adapter but have since switched over to the Tivo wireless adapter because its G and not B.

What errors are you getting? Nxx errors and gateway not found usually can be fixed by inputing the router IP (usually 192.168.1.1) into the DNS and other server settings.

3. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Although I have not used it in a while, I have that model adapter and it used to work perfectly with my S2 Tivos. At least just for any updates or downloads from the Tivo servers.

And since you say it had been working(for how long?), it probably is an issue of the router and adapter communication.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You at least turn security off on the router., or use WEP. WPA requires the TiVo adapter.

5. TiVo Mel

Jun 20, 2005
    Vegas?
    The adapter worked fine with the Fios router for about 2-3 years. Now, it won't communicate with the router (I think). The error I get is "Could not connect to the wireless network". Therefore, my conclusion is that the problem lies with the router. How, if possible, can I get the adapter and router to communicate with each other?

6. TiVo Mel

Jun 20, 2005
    Vegas?
    The router is set to WEP. Any other ideas?

7. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Does your Tivo "see" the network?

Also, as mentioned previously, to rule out security issues, have you turned off security on the router?

8. TiVo Mel

Jun 20, 2005
    Vegas?
    Turned the security off on the router - nothing. I was able to hook up another S2 that I have and it sees the router, but no IP address is shown. It says "get from DCHP", so something like that. Is that the problem?

9. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    OK, I found my DWL122 and disconnected my S2 540040 from it's wired usb connection.

I plugged in the dwl122 and went to the Phone and Network Settings. It showed "Wireless Adapter".

Then I chose 'Change Network Settings". I clicked "yes" to set up a wireless connection.

Then it should show the names of whatever networks it sees. You choose the network.

For my case, it asked for the password since I am using WEP, so I stopped there. I think since you have yours set for no security, it will then get into assigning an ip address either manually, or letting the router do it(DCHP, or whatever). I have always let the router do this as I have never manually assigned ip addresses on any of my wireless gear.

10. TiVo Mel

Jun 20, 2005
    Vegas?
    So, turn security off and don't type in a password? This is frustrating because the Tivo sees the network but it won't communicate!

11. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I think when you get to that step, you will see an option for "My network does not have a password", or something like that.

Just let it guide you through the process.

12. TiVo Mel

Jun 20, 2005
    Vegas?
    Did it, but still no connection. I know the adapter works since the Tivo sees the network. There has to be an additional level of security in the router that's preventing the Tivo from connecting. Security is off and the password is erased. It makes no sense to me that the Tivo won't connect!

13. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    OK, I went ahead and tried to connect mine(with WEP security key), but it could not access the network, even though it did see it.

And you're right, the Tivo's main network settings page indicates the problem is probably that it(wireless adapter?) does not have an ip address. There used to be a step where the Tivo guided you through getting an ip, but where/when that took place, I don't remember. Maybe guided set up?

Maybe check your router documentation on adding a new wireless device, or maybe the process is more clearly explained in Tivo manual or support at Tivo.com or Tivo support via telephone.

Another last resort; try rerunning guided st up.

14. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    OK, in my case, if I wanted to change from my wired connection to a new wireless connection, guided set up must be repeated.

I think this may also be the case for you(op) with a change of provider.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/406

Good luck!

15. TiVo Mel

Jun 20, 2005
    Vegas?
    WE HAVE A CONNECTION!!!! The problem was the MAC address needed to be entered into the router's "wireless devices" tab at routerlogin.com. Once done, the connection was flawless. I would have thought that this would have been done automatically. Oh well, problem solved. Thanks for your help.