Wireless N Adapter

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by ERJ, Jul 27, 2020.

1. ERJ

ERJ New Member

Jul 27, 2020

Advertisements

My house was hit by lightning the other night and although it was plugged into a surge protector, it fried my wireless adapter. The TiVo is okay! With Covid and having a new baby, I need my shows/streaming. Anyone know where I can get a Wireless N Adapter that doesn’t cost a fortune? I’m up for other suggestions, but I’m not the most tech savvy. I have found wireless G adapters at a more reasonable price, but I have no idea if heathery work with my machine. Please help.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG]

It does not have to be the Wireless N (connects through the Ethernet port), but it also can use the Wireless G (USB). They work the same, just the way to setup is different, No computer needed, setup is through the Tivo.

3. ERJ

ERJ New Member

Jul 27, 2020
    Thank you! I hate to be a pain, but when you say set up is different, is it easier, more complicated, or just different steps? I saw the G adapter, but was worried it wouldn’t work with my TiVo unit.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Comparing the Wireless N Vs Wireless G.

The N you must hook up to a computer to setup to connect to the wifi. Then connect to the ethernet port, and connect the power brick.

The G you just plug into the Tivo USB and go through the network settings to setup. No power brick, powered by Tivo USB.

ERJ likes this.
  5. WVZR1

WVZR1 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...

Advertisements

OP - Where are you located? I've a 'New In Box' N that I might consider selling. Location might matter!!

6. Wayoverpar1

Wayoverpar1 Member

May 19, 2017
    Coeur d'...
    I use an Iogear GWU637 for my mini TCDA93 that works very well.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018YPWORE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7. ERJ

ERJ New Member

Jul 27, 2020
    I’m in Minnesota.

8. WVZR1

WVZR1 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    You're not 'just around the corner'! I can't help!

9. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    If your router has WPS, then you don't need to hook the Wireless N adapter to a computer. You can pair it to the router using WPS.