Wireless N Adapter- Can we use it with other devices?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by wemetzger, May 17, 2011.

1. wemetzger

wemetzger New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    San Francisco
    If I get a wireless N router, can I unplug it from my Tivo now and then, and plug it into my XBOX so I can play some games? I will never need to watch TV and play games at the same time.

Bill

2. FierceDeityLink1

FierceDeityLink1 New Member

May 6, 2011
    No. Unless you get a wireless bridge or mod a router into one.

Edit: nevermind, didn't realize that the TiVo N adapter uses ethernet.

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Get a wireless bridge instead of paying for the TiVo adapter. With the wireless bridge you can connect multiple devices.

I use Dlink DAP1522 units. They can be used as access points or wireless bridges and use 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz(not concurrently).
    With the TiVo connected to the Dlink DAp1522 I can get identical speeds as when the TiVo is connected to my wired network. 85mb/s to 95mb/s transfer rates TiVo to TiVo(that is with one wired and one with a wireless bridge, or two wireless bridges with each connected to different access points)

4. SDNick484

SDNick484 New Member

Mar 14, 2008
    I also use the DAP1522, and am very impressed by it. It's currently fronting my Tivo, Xbox 360, & PS3. I was coming from the older 11g Tivo adapter and the performance benefit when transferring movies is noticeable.

5. jmill

jmill New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Yes, you can unplug the wireless adapter from TiVo and connect it to the XBOX.

TiVo wireless N adapter is simply a wireless bridge with one ethernet port, and as long as your other devices (XBOX, Blu-Ray Player, etc...) have ethernet port, the adapter will work.

6. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    That also is the impression that I have. When you use the -N adapter, TiVo reports just an Ethernet connection (not WiFi), and you have to configure the -N adapter from its internal Web page. And it has its own IP address. The -N adapter is supported on all TiVo boxes that have an Ethernet port, back to the 2-tuner Series2. I bet it would even work on the single-tuner Series 2 if you used the USB-Ethernet dongle.

7. alangst

alangst New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    I'm going to add a diff question onto this post since its also concerning the N-adaptor. I just ordered my premiere to go along with the series2 I already have with the older G-adaptor.

Even though I have a G router running my wifi, is it true that the N adaptor will actually be faster than the G-adaptor?

For the premiere is the N necessary to get the most from the player?

Should I go ahead and get 2 N's for better connectivity between the boxes?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

8. wemetzger

wemetzger New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    San Francisco
    Alan- If you get two N's on a g router, then yes, it will be faster, and you will have a bigger broadcast range. N has a bigger range, and you will be using the Ethernet on the router, so you will never be slowed by the G speeds.

Thanks guys for the note on the bridge. I am not sure how I am going to set things up, but I am thinking of going without the $40 a month internet bill. I would use my phone as a hot spot tether instead. I get 4G, so it is decently fast, and my phone broadcasts in N.

With a bridge, I thought maybe I needed a router to configure it properly, and that I would not be able to use my phone? Anyone ever tried this? And then I guess the same question for the Tivo N Adapter...

Both my wife and I have hot spots on our phone (although hers is slower) So, I do know the HD menus wont work while we are not home (obviously not a problem), and I know it will record my shows without an internet connection. And then the updates/call ins happen at night, so no biggie there.

9. wemetzger

wemetzger New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    San Francisco
    Or any experience with using a wifi hot spot to ethernet would help....

10. FierceDeityLink1

FierceDeityLink1 New Member

May 6, 2011
    If that's what you want to do, sure. Just get any Tomato/DD WRT compatible router and use it in "Wireless Client" mode.