Wireless N Adapter Alternative?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by michael1248, Dec 16, 2016.

1. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Here's my dilemma...

My Wireless N Adapter seems to losing connectivity with my HOA wi-fi system when the power goes out.
    (Although I am running it on a Premiere, I thought I would post here, since I also have a Roamio, which has the built in adapter.)

Option #1 - I was thinking about buying some type of router that could pick up the HOA WiFi and then hard-wire it to my Premiere.

Option #2 - Replace my Premiere (which works fine) with a Roamio and hope that, in the event of a power outage, the Roamio reconnects better than the N adapter.

I have no experience with the Roamio's internal WiFi adapter since I hard wire it directly to the router (separate geographical location than my Premiere.)

Suggestions?

2. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    I have a buttload of those Wireless adapters made by Tivo. I could send you one for the cost of postage.

Otherwise, you could get a $40.00 router and use DDWRT to make it a repeater/access point. It's fairly straightforward to do that. You could also just run a hard line to the place your Premier hangs out. That's what I did with my Roamios. It's not as hard as it seems and you'll learn a good skill for your next house, friend's house, or your kids' house, etc.

Mikeguy likes this.
  3. gsol

gsol New Member

Dec 13, 2010
    I would like one. How do we do it?

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    So a coax/MoCA network connection isn't doable?

5. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    I would be more than willing to send you the cost of postage for a spare Wireless N Receiver!

6. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Not doable. The free HOA WiFi is not accessible and the place is not wired for cable.

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Buy a UPS so power outages are no longer a factor. I have four TiVo boxes, all using a UPS. Most outages are under 5 minutes. Those over 6 minutes are considered a "major" outage by my supplier. My main system can live for three hours without power.

8. junesen

junesen Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Colorado
    I'd like one of those too.

I revived my TivoHD, but I seemed to have misplaced the cable to my WiFi adapter. I used a different USB cable but either the TiVo's USB cable is non-standard or my WiFi adapter has quit working.

9. philt56

philt56 Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Are those the USB ones you are offering him? If so, I know they are G type shouldn't make a difference for just guide updates, but if he's streaming the N might be a little faster.

I have a netgear access point that I used with my receiver since it didn't have wifi. I noticed I often had to power cycle the netgear too in order for the receiver to get back online.

Netgear has an AC speed adapter now about $69 on Amazon.

10. mjgraves

mjgraves New Member

Oct 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
  11. tonsan

tonsan New Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Can you me one? My series 4 doesn’t support other wireless. My TiVo n adaptor broke. I will pay for shipping, am here in Los Angeles. Thanks a lot.

12. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    These work pretty good and can be configured as a AP, a media center, or wireless range extender. Dual band AC 1200 and 4 gigabit Ethernet ports. d-link dap-1650 | eBay

13. tonsan

tonsan New Member

Feb 3, 2015
    My problem is that there is no hard wire or ethernet cable I can connect. So I need the tivo wireless n adaptor. My series 4 doesn't support any other wireless . What I read from previous post is that they took the capability with series 4. Thanks

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't think you understand the function of the DAP-1650 wireless bridge @fcfc2 suggested.

It would connect to your wireless router *wirelessly*, same as a TiVo Wireless N adapter would, but the DAP-1650 would be connected to your Premiere (Series4) via Ethernet. You'd then configure the Premiere for an Ethernet connection and the Premiere would be none the wiser. The Premiere would think it has an Ethernet connection, but its traffic would be communicated wirelessly between the router and DAP-1650 wireless bridge.

A wireless bridge works so long as the remote device on whose behalf it is installed is Ethernet-capable.

edit: p.s. Some wireless bridges I've seen recommended as working for TiVo (assuming the main wireless router is of sufficient quality):
    • D-Link DAP-1650
    • Linksys RE6500
    • Linksys WUMC710

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Teeps likes this.
  15. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    I used a Cisco WES610N.
    You can find on ebay for $25, shipping included, cheap!