Wireless G or hard line best for Netflix?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Torino, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Torino

Torino Member

Oct 5, 2006
    VA
    I have a series 3 with Netflix. It works fine but a little slow loading compared to watching a show on my PC. The series 3 is connected with a Wireless G. Would I get faster loading running a hard wire from my router instead of the Wireless G. Or would the Wireless N work better? I have a Netgear n600 dual router.

2. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    For Netflix, Amazon etc I had no problem with Wireless G. For PyTivo, Tivo Desktop etc. you definitely want to hard wire.

Of course it all depends on your network setup and how far away the Tivo is from the router.

3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    You will be better off wired as opposed to G, N is better, but I still prefer wired.

4. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    I have one on the adapter and it constantly buffers on Netflix, but the one thats wired never stutters. The pyTivo works great on both, no problems there.

5. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    When I had Netflix, I had a terrible time using it with my Tivo wireless network adapter. Once I went hard wired ethernet, it was smooth as silk.

6. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I don't have Netflix but I have started streaming, Amazon Prime and several others using TiVoHD and Google TV and Wireless-G is working fine for me. Speeds are well above the Netflix requirement throughout the house. I purchased a Wireless-N router but I dread installing it, I have a bunch of wireless devices, TiVos, laptops, Blu-ray players, HD DVD players, Google TV, and tablets. I have a dozen different devices connecting to my network most days. Running ethernet wire isn't something I could do so I am glad wireless works as well as it does. I just started using Comcast Xfinity cable internet with a DOCSIS 2.0 modem after using DSL for 5 years here, so having the latest and fastest isn't important to me.

I certainly accept wired is preferred but convenience wins out and this time without any real negative impact I can tell.

7. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Amazon Prime isn't streaming. It's network requirements are different from Netflix. Amazon downloads to the Tivo. Netflix streams and requires a more stable/faster connection to do this.

8. turbobuick86

turbobuick86 Member

May 2, 2002
    If there's a choice, wired beats wireless every time in every instance.

9. jeff92k7

jeff92k7 Annoyed with trolls

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    It totally depends on your network setup. Since you are always limited to the speed of your slowest link, then you want to make sure that the stuff inside your home isn't that slowest link.

Most Netflix HD titles stream at approximately 6Mbps. So, you first need an internet connection that is faster than 6Mbps. Once that is taken care of, then we can look to the connections inside your home. Wireless "G" runs at a maximum of 54Mbps half-duplex. However, with overhead, even a strong signal will only get sustained throughput of around 35-40Mbps. Poor signal quality and interference will slow the connection, but as long as it isn't slowing to 5.5Mbps or less, you should be fine for the Netflix stuff. The wired 10/100 jack on the TiVo runs at 100Mbps full-duplex maximum. So, as you can see, wired is much faster, but really shouldn't matter for Netflix streaming. As was already mentioned, wired will make a dramatic improvement in pyTivo or TTG/MRV transfers, but not in Netflix streaming.

That said, wired won't have interference problems like wireless, so running wired is always preferable.

Jeff

10. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    In general it just depends on the quality of your router and it's location from your TiVo. Most people don't realize that a lot of their network issues come from having crappy wireless routers. Lot's of G routers just don't do good at streaming lots of data.

11. turbobuick86

turbobuick86 Member

May 2, 2002
    It sounds like the OP has an option to run hardwired. Why buy a new wireless network? How many walls, floors, ceilings, or the distance the signal is travelling? So many things can make wireless crappy regardless of the hardware.

12. Mike-Mike

Mike-Mike New Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    this

13. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    If it's reasonable for you to used wired, do it, especially if your wireless is only G.

14. Chris Gerhard

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    Amazon Prime is streaming, I use Google TV to stream it.

15. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    It really isnt hard to run a wired network. The time it takes is well worth the increase in speed.

16. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Not on TiVos. It is the only Amazon Instant Video device that doesn't support streaming. This is why there's no ability to watch "Prime" videos on TiVos.

17. Chris Gerhard

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I understand that obviously, my point is I stream Amazon Prime using Wireless-G. I also have a TiVoHD connected streaming YouTube over Wireless-G. I am not seeing problems with any streaming or downloading using Wireless-G.

18. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    TiVos do not stream higher than 360p streams so it shouldn't be hard to stream short content on YouTube. TiVos are also very susceptible to network issues in the Netflix app. It doesn't take much of a network issue to drop you out of the Netflix app on TiVo.

19. WizarDru

WizarDru New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Malvern, PA
    I have Netflix on two Tivos, one wired and one wireless. I also use it wired on the Xbox, wireless on the PS3 and wireless on my BD player. It performs equally well on all of them. The issue is more to do with your network equipment and your environment.

All things being equal, wired will always be better as it less likely to be affected by your environmental factors or signal fluctuation.

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    You shoudln't be having any signal fluctuation if the Wi-Fi network is setup properly.

Proper coverage for the area in use and for the number of devices that will be accessing the Wi-Fi. Most people erroneously only use one access Point which can cause issues depending on the distance and the number of devices.