Wireless G - "A Network Cable Is Unplugged"

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by asteinfeld, Apr 11, 2007.

1. asteinfeld

asteinfeld New Member

Mar 29, 2007

Advertisements

Hi, folks. Longtime reader, first time poster. I love your show.

So I purchased the Tivo brand Wireless-G adapter for my S3. I plugged it in, and successfully set it up (I believe). I can see that it detects my home network (with good signal strength), it accepted the password to get through the WEP encryption, and it assigned itself an IP address. However, when I try to make a "call" using the network rather than the phone line, I immeidately get the error "A network cable is unplugged". Of course, the cable is plugged in, and the adapter itself is lit appropriately. Can anyone help out? Thanks very much.

-Adam

2. WayneCarter

WayneCarter Active Member

Mar 16, 2003
    I don't have an S3, but until someone with more specific info "stops by", a "straw" to clutch ...

With most network devices, "A Network Cable Is Unplugged" means the wired network connection is disconnected - you might check to see if the Tivo has been configured to use the wireless network.

From your post, it is obvious the wireless G is set up and functioning, but perhaps there is another setting that selects the wired/wireless connection.

3. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Does that happen on both the "normal" call and the test call? What's your signal strength like?

4. Alessan

Alessan New Member

Feb 23, 2002
    "A Network Cable Is Unplugged" on a wireless means you are not connected to the router. Most times you have the incorrect key. You can have perfect signal which has no meaning when it comes to the WEP key. All that means is your wireless nic can see the router. Try to remove the encryption on the router and in the tivo and see if it works just to verify to issues with the hardware.
    I do not use WEP, I use mac filtering

5. asteinfeld

asteinfeld New Member

Mar 29, 2007

Advertisements

Thank you all for the prompt replies. The issue arises with both regular and test calls, and signal strength remains around 80%. I'll try adjusting/removing the WEP, and post back.

-Adam

6. asteinfeld

asteinfeld New Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Alessan was right - I wasn't actually connected to my network, becuase the password was wrong (as far as the Tivo was concerned). The thing was, I knew that I had entered my WEP key correctly. The problem seems to have been that I use an alphanumeric code, and the Tivo wants hexadecimal. When I translated my code word into hex, I connected with no problem.

The Tivo onscreen troubleshooting actually suggests using hex, but it wasn't clear how I was supposed to do that, since there isn't an option to switch between hex and alpha on the password input screen. I ended up finding an online conversion table and translating my code word manually, as it were.

For the record (and future searchers), I have a relatively new dlink 802.11g router (WBR-2310).

And again, thanks very much for the help. It was easily worth twice what I paid.

-Adam

7. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    When you generate the WEP key through your router's web interface by putting in the English passphrase, it should show you the hex equivalents.

Glad you got it to work.