Wireless - decreasing signal strength

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Alphi, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Alphi

Alphi Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Grand...
    I've been using the TiVo wireless adapters with two Series2 TiVos (actually one Series2 DT models, and one Humax DVD burner) for about 6 months now, and I've been noticing something:

Over time my signal strength (at least according to the TiVo) has been slowly decreasing.

Now, so you understand, my wireless router is in the basement, and my DT TiVo is on the main floor. My Humax DVD burner TiVo is on the 2nd floor, so the furthest from the wireless router (however, even that said, it's not THAT far, it's not that big of a house).

To give you an idea of the problem:

When I first hooked it up in this house back in March/April, the DT TiVo (on the main level) registered between 90 and 100% of signal strength. The DVD TiVo (upstairs) registered between 80 and 90%.

This is what I'd expect.

However, as time has gone on, both have gotten progressively worse.

Today I noticed that my main-level DT TiVo is down to 50-55% signal strength, and the upstairs (DVD) TiVo is down to 30-40% signal strength.

At first I thought it was the router (an older Linksys wireless router), so I replaced it with a Belkin one, only to find I'm having the same problem.

In fact, when I replaced the Linksys with the Belkin one, I noticed I was getting around 70-80% strength on the main-level TiVo and about 50-60% on the upstairs one. Obviously, it's continued to degrade.

I've tried changing the broadcast channel on the router, but nothing seems to help.

Odder still, I also have a PC (with its own wireless adapter) upstairs (not too far from the DVD TiVo). That one reports nearly 100% signal strength always.

Any ideas/suggestions?w

2. Warhawks

Warhawks New Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Heck! I have had 17-25% signal strength! I was thinking of posting a thread asking if anyone actually got the 90-100%, but obviously you have. My tivo doesn't seem to mind whatsoever as it never skips an update, but it just lists my connection as "poor". I'd be open for learning other people's solutions!

3. Alphi

Alphi Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Grand...
    My concern isn't so much updates (since those happen behind the scenes anyways, if they're a little slower I don't even notice), but rather when I transfer shows between my two networked TiVos...

I mean, if my upstairs TiVo is only getting 30% (or less) of the signal, it's bound to take longer to transfer a show that I may want to watch upstairs that I recorded downstairs.

And it's especially odd that it's getting progressively worse, despite me "fixing" various other things (new router, changing the broadcast channel, etc.).

4. CALJREICH

CALJREICH New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    I know the cable on the tivo wireless adapter is not very long but , have you tried placing it farther from you tv or have you moved the tivo box farther from the tv. Maybe your tv is interfering with the wireless signal. Let me know if this helps or not.

You could also try going to tivo.com and tivo gear and buy the item described below. This might be the perfect solution for your problem.

$99.99
    Usually ships in 24 hours Actiontec MegaPlug 85 Mbps Ethernet Adapter (2 pack kit)
    Actiontec's new MegaPlug™ 85 Mbps Ethernet Adapter ups the ante for ease of use and network expandability. Just plug a MegaPlug Ethernet Adapter in any 2- or 3-prong electrical outlet in one room of your house, and another MegaPlug Adapter in any power outlet, and you've got instant network access across your power lines. If you need a simple way to extend your home network, the MegaPlug 85 Mbps Ethernet Adapter is the quickest and most economical way to do it. Nothing could be easier than creating a network connection with a pair of MegaPlug Ethernet Adapters.

5. Alphi

Alphi Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Grand...
    The thing that doesn't make sense (at least to me), is if it was interference from placement or something nearby (like my TV), then it should have given poor quality all along, not decreasing quality over time.

Not only that, but that the upstairs PC shows 100% signal when the tivo that's half the distance away shows less than 60%?

Something just doesn't add up, especially when the problem didn't change when I even switched wireless routers.

6. CALJREICH

CALJREICH New Member

Jul 17, 2007

Well it might not make sense but did you try what I suggested and find no diffrence? Good luck to you.

7. Alphi

Alphi Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Grand...
    My concern is spending $100 on something that may or may not fix the problem. Even if I knew it would fix the problem, I need to figure out if $100 is worth it.

And if it wouldn't, I certainly cannot justify throwing away $100.

8. CALJREICH

CALJREICH New Member

Jul 17, 2007

Do you want me to go halves on it with you? I'm giving you suggestions because you ask in your thread. I don't care to have my suggestions critized. Do whatever else you want. You are the one complaining about lack of signal strength. If no one else gives you any input perhaps its because of your rude responses to me who actually took the time to give you a suggestion. YOUR WELCOME.

9. fritolayguy

fritolayguy Science, bitches

Oct 31, 2002
    Liberty, MO.
    The solution that Cal suggests will fix the problem, as it is a wired solution to a wireless problem. You won't have any more issues with a wireless signal, as the units connect to your TIVO ethernet port with a CAT 5 networking cable.

I have used these in the past, and they are a great way to extend your network, without expensive wiring solutions.

Just my 2c :)