Wireless connection options

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by timatkn, Sep 29, 2011.

1. timatkn

timatkn New Member

Oct 1, 2010

Advertisements

Is the wireless N network adpator form TIVO the best option for getting a wirelss internet connection to the Premiere?

I have a premiere in the basement hardwired and am thinking of adding one to the upstairs but will have to go off of my wireless modem to have it connect. Just trying to find the best option for connecting it.

T

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The N adapter is basically a wireless bridge which connects to the Premiere's ethernet port after its been set up via PC.

Another good option is the Tivo wireless G adapter USB.

Of course, you would normally connect to a wireless router.

Tip: Any N** errors can be remedied by using the router's IP address in the Gateway and DNS servers settings.

3. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    If you want "easy", then yes, probably.

But you can almost certainly do it as cheaply (except PERHAPS for electricity-wise) by getting a WiFi router you can use in bridge mode (either out of the box or with ddwrt or somesuch). That's how I get my Tivos online.

4. Endymion_

Endymion_ Member

Sep 9, 2011
    I think the best way to get access to a TiVo that you cannot run an ethernet cable to is a powerline ethernet adapter. I used these for years in my home. They work great. They do have some quirks. The biggest problem is that if you find they do not work for you at all, you will probably not be able to fix it on your own--you would need an electrician to help and his job would be to remove or replace nonstandard wiring of your home's electrical circuit, which could be an expensive proposition I don't blame anybody for not wanting to do. So if you decide to try a powerline ethernet adapter make sure you check out the store's return policy first. The only other problem is that you may find, when using them, that when certain lights or electrical appliances are turned on in your home, that the speed of the powerline ethernet adapters will vary. When I used powerline adapters I found that if a certain light in my kitchen were ever turned on, almost all network traffic to the adapter near my living room TV would just magically grind to a halt, luckily that light wasn't normally needed. I also found that a hall light or two seemed to speed up the traffic. This is a little weirdness but nothing that ultimately interfered.

Anyway, with those two caveats in mind, powerline ethernet adapters worked great for me! I used netgear's 200 megabit adapters. I never got anything like 200 megabits, but it would vary between 85 and 130 or so, plenty fast enough to stream HD video. And the ping was very fast, much faster than a wireless ping. 500 megabit adapters are available now and while I've not tried them I'm sure they work well also, but almost as importantly, the price on the 200 megabit adapters which are still available has gone down considerably, I've seen them going for as little as $60 for a pair. Plug one in near your router and another near your TiVo and you're set.

5. arrestedcloud

arrestedcloud arrestedcloud

Sep 10, 2011
    MD

Advertisements

If you are willing to spend like 30 bucks then you might want to look into trendnet gaming adapter. It is a wireless device and has cat5 coming out. I used it first on my xbox and then moved it to the Tivo in my bedroom. The router(apple extreme) is a couple of floors down and the signal is good (4 bars out of 5) and works well for everything from streaming to mrv.

These go on sale at newegg pretty regularly, so you can get it for cheaper than 30. Hope that helps.

~s.

6. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    +1

I use a Zyxel WAP3205 on one Tivo and an older Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT firmware on another Tivo. I've even used a Linksys WAP54G in bridge mode but Linksys will not guarantee that they will work with anything other than another WAP54G. I had my WAP54G work fine with my main wireless router which is a WRT54G.

7. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    Unless you you really need N speed the TiVo USB G adapter is the the way to go in my opinion. Easy setup and more than fast enough to keep with an HD recording transfer.