Wireless Bridges

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by The Bear, Sep 20, 2006.

1. The Bear

The Bear New Member

Sep 19, 2006

Advertisements

Hi just starting out in the world of Tivo.

Is there a list of approved wireless bridges that are suitable for a PVR10UK Tivo or do most work? (I checked the FAQs/stickys but couldn't see anything)

I was looking at a Netgear WGE111 to match my Netgear DG834GT wireless router. I also spotted an older WGE101 on ebay which is a bit cheaper.

2. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    I would always recommend going for a bridge from the same manufacturer as your router as compatibility between manufacturers is utter pants!

And do a search for your chosen model on this forum before buying too, as some bridges seem to have problems talking to the TiVo drivers unless there's a cheap network switch interposed between them...

3. iankb

iankb New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Reading, UK
    Until last week, I was using a WGE101 with a separate switch, that would allow me to support both my TiVo and another device. Although the bridge was powered htrough a surge-supressor, it failed at around the time of a thunderstorm; maybe due to a wireless surge.

I didn't see the WGE111 as being a valid replacement, since the 'games adapter' type of bridge is usually crippled to only allow one connected device. So I bought a WGPS606 print server off eBay, which replaces both the bridge and the switch. I only installed it today, but it seems fine. Unlike the WGE101, it also supports WPA-PSK encryption.

I use all Netgear, since I use a WG602 access point with a DG834 router.

4. tefster

tefster New Member

Mar 15, 2004
    London (NE), UK
    I'm using a WGE101 on my TiVo without any problems. Its upstream connection is to a NetGear WG602v2.

5. The Bear

The Bear New Member

Sep 19, 2006

Advertisements

Cheers. might go for the WGE101 off ebay then.

What are the seperate switches you mention?

6. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    My kitchen player is powered by a Slimp player in bridge mode

http://www.slimdevices.com

WARNING Don't Click On The Above Link Or You May See Your Next "Must Have" Purchase :)

Also get to listen to radio station all around the world with it from Sydney AUS to Los Angeles etc

Automan.

7. Jimus

Jimus Meat Popsicle

Dec 28, 2005
    Midlands
    wge111 works fine for me

Jimus

8. Ian_m

Ian_m Active Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Southampton,...
    I use a Linksys WRT54G (V3) running DD-WRT to convert the Linksys wireless router to a multiport wireless bridge. My first one cost £32 many moons ago.

I have 3 and they all work fine, just sit there and wirelessly bridge devices (NAS, print servers, kids PC's, TiVo etc) to my NetGear DG834G.

9. Andy Davies

Andy Davies New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Been there, done that...

10. The Bear

The Bear New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Cheers everyone.

I like the look of the print server iankb is using as it means I always have more ports in case I buy other stuff I want to network like games consoles, and it's around the same price as the WGE111 on ebay.

It's also perfect to combine with my DG834GT router as that also supports WPA-PSK security on it too.

11. dragonlord666

dragonlord666 New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    HI
    I have a belkin Wireless 125 High Speed Mode router with integrated printserver but it seems belkin don't make bridges (at least you can't find 'em on their website)
    So what is the best way for me to hook my tivo into my wireless network? I have XP so guess I need to download / buy some software to "talk" to the tivo.

Am still looking around the site in case this is posted someplace else and I've missed it.

Gaz

12. dalan81

dalan81 New Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Sorry for so many questions, but this sounds like the way to go vs. a USB adapter...

Is it necessary to run DD-WRT to convert to a bridge? Or does Linksys f/w also provide a bridging option? If I need DD-WRT does it need to be on both routers?

I'm also curious as to whether or not the bridge will affect wireless performance for the non-bridged devices connected to my primary wireless router (i.e. not the Tivo router). There was a caution posted on one of the Linksys forums about performance issues. Do you have any insight into that?

Lastly, there are a number of negative articles re: WRT54G v5.0. Do you have any idea which f/w versions avoid these issues?

Thanks for any of these ques. you can help with.

13. Milhouse

Milhouse Member

Sep 15, 2001
    South...
    I don't think the stock Linksys f/w supports bridging so you will need to install an after-market firmware such as DD-WRT, Openwrt or Sveasoft (I use the latter, am happy with Talisman 1.2 in client routed mode - costs $20 though)

Possibly - if you configure both WRT54Gs in WDS mode (aka repeater), each router has to receive then resend wireless data so throughput of the wireless network can be halved. If your firmware supports it you would be better off with "client routed" mode (certainly supported in Sveasoft, maybe others too) for your TiVo-router and leave your main wireless/gateway router in infrastructure/access point mode.

No firmware version will avoid the issues present in the v5 - the hardware is rubbish, just avoid it! Buy only the Linux-based WRT54GL or WRTSL54GS, or from eBay buy only pre-v5 WRT54G or pre-v4 WRT54GS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G

14. Ian_m

Ian_m Active Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Southampton,...
    1. Make sure the WRT54G is not V5, it has only 1/2 the FLASH. PC World had loads of the WRT54G's V4 couple of months ago for £42. Or get WRT54GS which I did on my 3rd WRT to guarantee I didn't get a V5 WRT54G (if you see what I mean).

2. Load DD-WRT.

3. Set it up and select as in my attached picture the wireless client bridge mode.

4. Use the status page on DD-WRT to see the wireless status and see access point it is connected to. My WRT's connect no issues to a NetGear DG834G. I didn't fiddle with much else, just the required wireless WPA parameters etc and it all worked first time no problem.

5. Plug in 4 ethernet cables and away you go....

Attached Files:

15. fishd

fishd ***ding but no clue!

Jun 7, 2002
    Cheshire
    Another vote for the WGPS606 Wireless Print Server.

I have one of these connecting my Tivo, xbox and Mac Mini to my Netgear wireless AP upstairs. Works brilliantly.

16. Foxy

Foxy Member

Mar 7, 2003
    Bonnie Scotland
    Are you using this just to connect Tivo, xbox and Mac Mini, or do you have printers connected downstairs? If you are using this without printers, why? Is it better/cheaper that a WGE111? Would a WGE111 and a switch do the same job?

17. Olly

Olly New Member

Sep 29, 2001
    Wirral, UK
    I also use the WGPS606 to connect two TiVos, a Netgem iPlayer and printer. It has worked faultlessly for many months. The two Linksys WET-11 bridges that preceded it were total rubbish but I got them cheap (false economy).

18. The Bear

The Bear New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    It has 4 ethernet ports on the back to plug in multiple devices without the use of a switch. The WGE111 only has one. Just more convenient really.

19. Foxy

Foxy Member

Mar 7, 2003
    Bonnie Scotland
    Ah yes, that makes lots of sense! I was seeing a Print Server with builtin Wireless Bridge, when I should have been seeing a Wireless Bridge with builtin Print Server :rolleyes:

I have no experience of bridging - can you answer a simple question? Does this just give a direct (but wireless) connection between the plugged in devices and, in my case, my wireless ADSL router and then to other wireless devices? To clarify, I'm presently working on my wireless laptop in the lounge where the tivos, xbox, etc are. My wireless ADSL router is on the other side of the house. If I was using a wireless bridge, to network the tivos, my laptop would not see the bridge as another wireless network (or at all?), but would be able to connect (wirelessly) to the connected devices, via the router not the bridge?

Practically, would the fact that the bridge would be located down behind the TV, Tivos, Sub, etc, affect the quality of the wireless signal?

20. The Bear

The Bear New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    yes. the router is the default gateway for the network. you also have the option of the devices being allowed to talk to each other or not via the router. at least that's how i understand it, i only set my network up yesterday! using netgear DG834GT and WGPS606.